“Disappointed”

Ranked #38 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The well-known and loved story of Betsy Ross sewing the first Stars & Stripes is tightly woven into the colorful fabric of America's rich history. The Betsy Ross House, the birthplace of the American flag, is alive with the sights and sounds of the 18th century. Tour the house and then stay a while longer to learn more about Betsy and her exciting life and times through our interactive, historical programming. *Note: The Betsy Ross House will be temporarily closed for renovations from February 27th through March 10th. The house will reopen on March 11th.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you love America, you have to stop by to learn more about Betsy Ross. I learned alot about her, but the house wasn't hers, she only lived in one room of it. Lots of history there. Don't do the listening tour. They have information boards at every sight and that tells you everything. Stop to learn more about Betsy!

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We took my teenage son for a self tour. The house is small narrow rooms and stairs to climb up and down. The rooms are ok attraction. I would not come to this site on a hot day. No a/c. Betsy Ross does have an interesting story behind her role in the revolutionary times

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Visited with my husband and kids- ages 6,7 and 9. This was my first visit there in years. The admission is reasonable, but we paid more for the kids to do the children's audio tour. They seemed to enjoy it and it allowed us time to linger in the rooms while they listened.

The Betsy Ross impersonator was very good- articulate, engaging and very friendly. I think they've made great efforts to make the most of a small space and make it more interactive and appealing to kids. I am glad we waited until the kids were a little older and all able to walk on their own. The tight spaces and crowds would not make this very easy to visit with toddlers.

The staff were also very good. In fact, a female staffer near the entrance later followed up with us in another part of the house to ensure that our children had had the opportunity to meet Betsy. The court yard was nice as well, with drinks and hotdogs available at a reasonable price.

1  Thank Mommyfromphilly
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

The house was very hot so I couldn't stand being in there. If it was cooler maybe I would have been more patient and willing to read and look more closely. But from what I saw there was nothing special.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Betsy has a ceremony every morning to raise the flag, kids get to help. Place is really neat , spend the extra $2 to get the audio tour it really makes it better. When you meet Betsy she is really believable , she made a star and gave it to my daughter it was cool. Neat place, great gift shop.

1  Thank mamashuz