“Very educational”

Ranked #38 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The well-known and loved story of Betsy Ross sewing the first Stars & Stripes is tightly woven into the colorful fabric of America's rich history. The Betsy Ross House, the birthplace of the American flag, is alive with the sights and sounds of the 18th century. Tour the house and then stay a while longer to learn more about Betsy and her exciting life and times through our interactive, historical programming. *Note: The Betsy Ross House will be temporarily closed for renovations from February 27th through March 10th. The house will reopen on March 11th.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
824 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,649 helpful votes
“Very educational”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I learned 2 facts here: that Betsy only rented space in this house but never owned it, and that she was originally not a seamstress, but an upholsterer. Of course, after she sewed the original flag (allegedly) she went on the manufacture many others and didn't practice upholstery much after that. The house is typical of the period and merits a visit..

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Very Informative”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

The entrance fee is very reasonable for this charming little house surrounded by modern city. The displays are tasteful and I learned a lot more about Betsy Ross that I'd ever heard before. Some of the stairwells spiral and are somewhat tight.

Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Never Gets Old”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've taken this tour about six times and each one is great. It's not a long tour, but their are often historic figures entertaining outside. Sometimes Betsy herself is there to show you how to make a star. My kids were very interested in the story and the house is well perserved.

Visited March 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
118 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Not bad - probably better with children”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Even though we have been to Philadelphia several times, we had never been to the Betsy Ross house, and since we had a bit of free time in our schedule, decided to give it a go. The house wasn't very big, and as we expected, we made our way through it rather quickly. I learned a bit more about her than I did before and enjoyed seeing the period sewing tools. There were some children visiting at the same time we were there, and it seemed like something that they would enjoy a bit more. There was an area in the basement with a costumed reenactor portraying Betsy Ross. While I personally don't enjoy reenactors who completely immerse in the character and pretend that they aren't a part of the modern world ("I don't understand your strange words"...really?), I do have to say that the girl playing the part that day was pretty good and her accent was spot-on. I definitely see this as a one-time visit, but that being said, I didn't feel it was a waste and am glad we went.

New England
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 338 helpful votes
“Big waste of time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

At the end of the tour the only thing we learned was she did not own the place the rented it and lived with another family here. It was the shortest visit of any so called museum I have ever been too. 30 minutes tops.

Save your money and see something else.

Visited April 2013