“Always one of our best days”
Review of Philadelphia Zoo

Ranked #20 of 457 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Situated on 42 acres of beautiful gardens, the Philadelphia Zoo, America's first zoo, is home to nearly 1,300 animals, many rare and endangered. Polar bears, African lions, Amur tigers, a white rhino, giraffes and more call this oasis home. As Philadelphia's leading cultural destination the Zoo boasts award-winning exhibits such as First Niagara Big Cats Falls, McNeil Avian Center, and PECO Primate Reserve.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Love this zoo. It is always clean, the animals are always well cared for and it is a great full-day adventure. Bring your own water - that can get a bit pricey throughout a day of walking!

1  Thank MJMCMC2012
There are newer reviews for Philadelphia Zoo

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have been going to the Philly Zoo since 1981. It is a lovely place and easily one of the finest zoos in the world. That said, our last visit was terrible.

First, it cost $55 for my teenage daughter and myself and parking ($15 just to park!). How a family of four can afford to go here is beyond me. The surrounding neighborhood is terrible, so you really are forced to use the parking lots surrounding the zoo.

But my biggest complaint is the last of notice that the entire big cat area was CLOSED. I understand that many animals are not outside in winter, but an entire section?? There was no warning at the front gate or on the website. All posted signs indicated that the Big Cat area was open. We tried three different routes to see them before we realized we were out of luck. My daughter's sole reason for the visit was to see the pumas, which are advertised on the website. She was devastated.

We visited some indoor areas (Treehouse, pimates, and small mammals) before calling it a loss. What a sad day at a great zoo.

AVOID the zoo in cold weatehr and call ahead to interrogate them about closings.

4  Thank AJ53705
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I'm sure in the spring and summer this would be an amazing place to visit, however today most of the animals were not available for viewing due to the cold weather, the scheduled feeding times were cancelled and even alternative entertainment like the playground, carousel and cafe were all closed. For all of this disappointment we were still charged a full price admission , well over $100 for a family of 4 (including entry, parking and taxes). A lot of money for nothing!

4  Thank KateGareth
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Don't get me wrong, the zoo is really great! Even in the cold weather, the animals could be seen in their indoor winter areas. The zoo is doing a lot of work and the interaction available for children and education is great! Zoo Keepers gave us personal walk through tours of the exhibits they were a part of and were very knowledgable. I would go back all the time if I lived here.

1  Thank RangersFan1980
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Like many moms in the area, I long awaited adding a new indoor winter resource to get me and my little ones through the winter blues. After many visits to KidZooU, we're bored. The space it self is beautiful, but they really need to start offering members a reason to return again. A mommy and me class for my 2 year old? Or a program where I can drop my 4 year old off for a few hours of zoo learning? I'll keep asking each time I visit.

4  Thank Mamabear M