“Lovely day out at the zoo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
$64.00*
and up
Philadelphia 3-Combo Tour: Hop-on Hop-off, Philadelphia Zoo, and Franklin's...
Ranked #19 of 433 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Situated on 42 acres of beautiful gardens, the Philadelphia Zoo, America's first zoo, is home to nearly 1,300 animals, many rare and endangered. Polar bears, African lions, Amur tigers, a white rhino, giraffes and more call this oasis home. As Philadelphia's leading cultural destination the Zoo boasts award-winning exhibits such as First Niagara Big Cats Falls, McNeil Avian Center, and PECO Primate Reserve.
Bristol
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Lovely day out at the zoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I took my daughter to Philadelphia zoo while I was visiting friends. It's a lovely zoo with big enclosures and being from Bristol, England it was nice to see some different animals which we don't have in our zoo at home. Lots of space for everyone to be able to see the animals and a good layout. My daughter loved it.

1 Thank Lois B

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Belfast
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Overall, Really Enoyed It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

The only negative I could see for this zoo is that of many older zoo's - space for the animals.And I'm sure like many older zoo's Philadelphia Zoo improves the facilities when the funds are there to do so.But still couldn't help thinking some of the animals would be better off with more room...
On the plus side though the animals look well cared for and there there is plenty to see. The staff were friendly and informative, the zoo itself is pleasant and easy to get around.It's also pretty flat, which is a bonus if you have spent hours tramping round historic Philadelphia! Well served by bus and some of the downtown tours will also drop you off here. Thought the gift shop was pretty good.
I would suggest going early.I arrived when the zoo opened and it was empty. But by the time I left around 12:30 there already was a pretty big big crowd - and this is in November.Plus being off season many the food stands away from the entrance were closed - so I imagine the ones that were open would get pretty busy as the zoo fills up.
But basically I think if you enjoy zoo's you will enjoy this one.

Visited November 2011
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Philadelphia Zoo is a great place. It's the best zoo that I have ever been too. It has a great variety of animals, and a lot of good attractions.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank beachluvr300
Bryn Mawr, PA
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a great place to spend a day. I enjoy going there on rainy days also since many of the animals can be seen from inside building. I have gone here for years with my daughter .. since she was a baby and now as a teen.. she still loves the place

Visited August 2011
Chambersburg, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I don't think the animals are happy here.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

My fiance and I took his 4-year old nephew here for a recent outing. It was an expensive day, between parking, entrance fees, and a wide array of child-enticing distractions like face-painting, ice-cream, swan boat rides, pony rides, train rides, and- of course- the obligatory gift shop conveniently blocking the exit. Pawns of a four-year old, we fell victim to each, one-by-one. The kid enjoyed the cows and bunnies in the Zoo's kiddie petting zoo more than any of the wild animals on display...and to be quite honest, the wild animals just made me sad. I grew up on a farm, and I'm no animal rights activist. But the animals I saw at the Philadelphia zoo were in too small of enclosures, and cleanliness and natural habitat were lacking. Many of the cages reeked of urine (the primates were especially bad), some of the enclosures consisted of nothing more than bare ground (like the ostrich pen, where the birds were so distressed they were pacing the perimeter of the pen pecking/biting wildly at the fence, and you could see they had pulled out their own feathers, as their wings were nothing more than bald, brutalized stubs). The meerkats were the saddest creatures of all, sitting mournfully on the few rocks in their tiny enclosure. There were young children screaming and leaning over the wall into their pen flailing their arms in what mt have been an annoying if not menacing manner (don't get me started on the lack of parental control I saw exercised this day). The meerkats didn't have anywhere to go to avoid the unwanted attention, and I found the whole scene so disturbing that I had to leave the exhibit. I will never be back, nor would I recommend anyone visit this zoo.

Visited September 2011