“Entertaining Musical & Quaint Theatre”

Walnut Street Theatre
Ranked #46 of 443 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest theater in America, and one of the most prolific.
Edmonton, Canada
392 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 515 helpful votes
“Entertaining Musical & Quaint Theatre”
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Went to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and we were impressed with the calibre of the performances and sets. While the seats were fine they could add some rails for walking up and down the steep aisles.

Visited May 2014

Mullica Hill, New Jersey, United States
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Wonderful theatre!”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have been a subscriber for many years and love coming here for shows-especially the musicals! The price for my entire season is less than going to a show on Broadway. The theatre is small but quite comfortable ( seats much better than the Forrest Theater or Academy of Music if you have balcony seats). This is one of the best deals in Philly and we enjoy having dinner nearby after the show.

Visited March 2014
Avondale
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“a gift that keeps on giving!”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

A few years ago, my husband surprised me with an anniversary weekend in Philadelphia complete with tickets to the Walnut Street Theater. I was totally surprised as he just does not do this type of thing! We love live theater having discovered professional theater while stationed overseas but after spending a fortune a few times in NYC, we just couldn't do it again. Little did we know that such great entertainment was just an easy hour away. Season tickets are the way to go. We look forward to these weekends and the marvelous performances...everything from "Grease" to "Elf" to "Other Desert Cities" and "Love Story." We have not been disappointed once. I am handicapped and they always make me feel as though my needs are just no issue at all. I recommend them to all who enjoy live theater.

Visited February 2014
Haddonfield, New Jersey
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Date Night”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We've been subscribers for 20 years... Every year the plays and the acting get better. It is still not Broadway, but for regional theater, it is very good. We went on a back stage tour which was also very interesting... For initimate theater, you can't beat the 80 seat, 3rd floor independent studio... You are rarely more than 3 rows from the action!!

Visited March 2014
Portland, OR
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very good productions”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I saw Hairspray here and it was great. The Broadway musical productions are really good. It is an old theater and somewhat cramped but I guess that a also gives it character. For those who loved the film Silver Linings Playbook you should go to this theater and also walk around the block onto 8th street and you will recognize that they filmed the final scenes there of the dance competition.

Visited January 2014