“Date Night”

Walnut Street Theatre
Ranked #37 of 470 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest theater in America, and one of the most prolific.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We've been subscribers for 20 years... Every year the plays and the acting get better. It is still not Broadway, but for regional theater, it is very good. We went on a back stage tour which was also very interesting... For initimate theater, you can't beat the 80 seat, 3rd floor independent studio... You are rarely more than 3 rows from the action!!

All reviews
"intermission"
in 10 reviews
"barrymore"

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I saw Hairspray here and it was great. The Broadway musical productions are really good. It is an old theater and somewhat cramped but I guess that a also gives it character. For those who loved the film Silver Linings Playbook you should go to this theater and also walk around the block onto 8th street and you will recognize that they filmed the final scenes there of the dance competition.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

We came here on a Saturday night and I have no problem with the acting quality or price of tickets. The theater is older so the seats are a little cramped, especially for taller people, like my husband, or some bigger people. Luckily, everyone around us was average sized so we weren't squished.
I don't have a hearing problem but it seemed MANY people around us did. I swear, half the time someone was saying "What did they say?" and their companion would repeat it, and then they'd laugh at the punchline again. Ugh. We were VERY close to the front but at the right side so I don't know how the acoustics are for the rest of the building. So microphones could have made everything a little more clear.
Also, people were acting like they were at the movies or packing for a weekend camping trip. So many people had tons of food with them so there were rattling bags and munching during the performance. One woman had a huge container of pistachios. Yes, that seems like the perfect food to have during a live performance.
So I wish some of the audience members were a little more thoughtful to both the actors and the spectators. It was a 2 hour show...you certainly don't have to eat the whole time.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Love the Walnut Street theater. Have been going to shows for about 6 years.
The one thing that always amazes me is the staging. So very creative for such a small space. Great shows and an amazing value when you are a subscriber.