“Very accomodating & Friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing
Ranked #40 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Windsor, New York
“Very accomodating & Friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just stayed there this past Saturday and let me tell you that it was an amazing experience. From the moment I checked in till the moment of departing I have nothing but great things to say about this property. The room I received was in the corner of the 10th floor looking out to the Ben Franklin Bridge. What an amazing view and definitely a room I will not forget. Overall, I had an amazing time and will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Corner room on the tenth floor facing the Ben Franklin Bridge
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Jsherin89,

Thank you so much for your stay at our Holiday Inn Express Penn's Landing. We are so exited that you had a great stay! That really makes our day. The staff is going to be thrilled when I post your review.

Thank you so much again. We hope to see you again in the future.

Kim Killeri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Turkish first
Gaithersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Formerl a Comfort Inn, the Holiday Inn Express at Penn's Landing is unusually situated between the Interstate and the Delaware River with the lovely suspension bridge honoring Benjamin Somebody a block north. It would appear to be cut off from the Old City, which is only a few blocks away - but it really is not. Simply head in the direction of the bridge, turn right onto Race Street (where you can dine at the wonderful Race Street Cafe). Turn left at Second and you will pass the famous Elfreth Alley; this street leads to Christ Church and Market Street. A few blocks west is the very post office where that same Benjamin Somebody once worked. The site of his home and printing shop can be accessed through tthe archway.

Anyway back to the hotel: an attractive lobby where guests can lounge in front of a roaring fireplace (in Janaury, at least) and an adjacent breakfast room where they can endulge themselves with a complimentary breakfast. A penny saved is a penny earned says this guy Benjamin. The rooms and public areas are well-kept - the rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated with pictures of Philadelphia's famous attractions. One quirk was the low water pressure shower. Of course, some rooms give you a view of the bridge; others, like mine (See below), the highway and all the noise that accompanies it.

And don't let the location chase you away: the HI Penn's Landing offers guests a free shuttle that will drop you off anywhere within a certain radius ... and when you wish to return, simply call the driver who will pick you up. (See picture below). All in all, a nice property that should be considered whne visiting the City of Brotherly Love. Franklin! Benjamin Franklin, that's his name.

Room Tip: Room 618 faces the highway.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank NeedPivo
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear NeedPivo,

Hello NeedPivo! Thank you so much for your review and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We are so excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Holiday Inn Express.

We hope to see you again soon!

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

From the very start I requested toothpaste from the very first night I stayed as my bags were lost from the plane and I had no toiletries.
I was told they they were out and they provided me with mouthwash instead.
I got to my room that was on the side opposition the Ben Franklin bridge near the highway and the noise level was unbearable to the point I request a move of rooms to concentrate on work and to not lay awake in the bed due to the noise all night.

I was told they can not do anything that night and I was moved to the other side of the building for the next 3 nights of my stay.
I requested toothpaste and other toiletries over 3 times to the end of my stay the fourth night and they were still out of stock and I was told I could buy some on market street.

On the 3rd and 4th nights the staff did NOT clean my room.
We requested a room clean and towels because they were dirty and we were only brought towels by a staff member and was told that someone would be there soon to resolve the room. (Nobody ever came)

By then I did not even try to call the front desk as we had already determined that the staff does not communicate with each other and they are incompetent to take care of simple customer requests and run a premium hotel.

Staff members also knocked on our door twice while the do not disturb sign was up on my door.
This was during times I had not requested they clean or maintain the room and this was done always around 9am-10am.
The staff was not customer friendly and considering to customer needs.
When I checked out I was not addressed to how my stay was until I let the agent know I was very unhappy as I had also told the front desk this same statement I'm giving to this survey several times.
I told the agent that I would be leaving a poor survey and only then that she said she would get her manager.
I waited for the manager only for her to come out and tell me that they would be refunding one night of the stay and that I booked though orbitz I would have to contact them.
I was not happy and wanted to be compensated more for then what was offered.

By this time I was wondering why the manager in the back did not come out and handle the situation as the agent had to go back a couple of times to get solutions to what I was requesting.

They processed my refund for one night in the amount of around $100 dollars but I am still very mad that this was all that was offered as I am a member of the rewards club and that is why I'm writing this survey today.

This is the WORST hotel I have ever stayed at and I have already shared my experience with co workers, family and friends.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jaryndropout
Dear jaryndropout,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we apologize you were disappointed in the services and our hotel. We will review your comments as we continually work to improve our guest experience through service and accommodations.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Huntington Woods, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed five nights while attending a convention. The rooms were large and comfortable and obviously recently renovated. For example, this is the first time that I've had a RFID door key. Noise is a bit of a problem because the hotel is in a strange location between the interstate and the Delaware River. I used my earplugs to block out the traffic noise that is loud even in the middle of the night. The free breakfast was better than average with several hot dishes and fresh fruit. This breakfast was almost a requirement for staying because very few restaurants are located within the immediate vicinity so that breakfast would have been hard to find otherwise. The hotel includes a free shuttle which I didn't use because I'm an avid walker. The Old Downtown sites (Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc.) are quite close though convention center is about a 30 minute walk. The staff was friendly enough. The "free high-speed Internet" was quite slow though adequate for most tasks and reliable enough during my stay.

I might like a better location and a quieter room, but I'd stay here again if the price were right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side that doesn't fact the interstate.
Dear Robert H,

Thank you Robert for sharing your experience. We are thrilled that overall you enjoyed staying at our Holiday Inn Express.

Should you visit again please be sure to book or request a riverside room. This side is a little more quieter and the views of the Delaware River and Ben Franklin Bridge will provide a site to remember forever!

Thank you again for your review.

Ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

The hotel it pretty new so the décor is modern and it's quite clean. Even though it's right by the bridge and highway the noise isn't bad with the windows closed and the heat on (since it's winter). I did use earplugs since I'm a light sleeper, so I'm not sure how loud it would have been without them.They give you free breakfast and a shuttle that will drop you of in downtown/center city, both of which were quite unexpected. The shuttle did breakdown Sat night to Sun, but that they offer it in general is very nice. The location is close to Penn's landing and only a 10 min walk to the historic parts, but it is surrounded by roads so it's not the prettiest thing and has a slightly depressing feel. But, considering this is supposed to be a 2.5/3 star hotel they really do more than you'd expect. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AlisaP,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! That really makes our day.

We hope to see you again should you return to Philadelphia.

Cochabamba, Bolivia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had a great stay at this friendly hotel. The front desk was helpfull showing places we could visit. Rooms are confortable and clean. Parking, wifi and breakfast were a plus for free all ready included in The price.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear hiedygg,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you on your next visit to Philadelphia.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Very helpful and friendly staff. They helped me receive and ship packages for my convention, made great dinner recommendations, always made sure I had what I needed. They helped with logistics of a major snowstorm.

It is out of downtown but there is a free shuttle that is great! Ask for a room at the front of the hotel. The backside rooms are close to the freeway and exit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the freeway.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Steph1974,

Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you on your next visit to Philadelphia.