“would stay again”

Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Lewistown, Pennsylvania, USA
“would stay again”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

From the time we arrived until the time we left everyone who we dealt with were extremely helpful and friendly. We thought it was great how the gentlemen who drove the van took the time to open doors for people and assist them into the van and out. The rooms were bright and cheery and the set up was great.

Review collected in partnership with Viva Stay

ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear nightmarze,

Thank you so much for staying at our Holiday Inn Express. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay while you were visiting our great city of Philadelphia.

We hope to see you again! Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Kim Killeri
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I made a reservation for this hotel because I enjoy the Penns Landing area and noticed it through my trips to Philly. I checked in late about 10:30pm and was issued a room. When I went to the room there were no bed sheets on either bed and it wasn't prepared. So I returned to the front desk and they were apologetic. They issued me another room and when I entered that room THERE WERE OCCUPANTS residing there already! I have NEVER encountered that! I'm only glad they were sleeping but it was very alarming for me for them to have made such a mistake like that. I returned to the desk once again and they are once again apologetic. The issued a 3rd room and this one seemed ok except for the blood stains on the window sill! They called to inquire and took them about this and the comped me on the parking. I was rather annoyed by now but I had an event to attend that night and had to rush out. That morning as I was about to take a shower, I realized THERE WAS NO SHOWER CURTAIN! Arggggh I was truly disappointed with the stay. It's definitely not the worst place I've stayed but nowhere near one of the best.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Mr_Red86,

Thank you so much for your comments and review. We take comments very seriously and will act to make ourselves better. I will be sure that the other Manager's are aware of your review and see to it that action is taken so we can be the best that we can be.

Thank you again.

Kim Killeri
Director of Sales
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband is a platinum Holiday Inn rewards club member. We made a personal booking to stay overnight in Philly for a concert - using partial points and paying for an additional night. Due to a death in the family, we unfortunately had to cancel our stay. My husband noticed that his points were returned to his rewards card; however, we were not refunded the $170 for a "special rate pre-pay" second night on our credit card. Not realizing that this was non-refundable (despite more than 48 hours notice cancellation), I called the front desk to request a refund. While I understand that a policy is a policy, I asked if any partial refund could be given - due to the circumstances. The front desk employee advised that it was up to her manager's discretion. After a brief hold, I was told that I was out of luck and "nothing could be done". Then, I asked to speak with that manager (I'm told his name is Andrew Harris), I was put on hold again - and then was told "sorry - you can't talk to my manager - but we'll transfer you to central reservations". Guess what central reservations told me..."it's up to the manager's discretion - there's nothing we can do". While I clearly will not get any refund - despite my husband's loyalty to a (previously) acceptable hotel chain - I have made it clear that I will be happy to share my experience on every possible hotel review website I can. Bad customer service says a lot to me, and I will not be making another reservation at Holiday Inn Express, Penns Landing.

4 Thank JMert5
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear JMert5,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As we sit here and read your review, we are absolutely stunned that we did not handle this matter more forgiving. We apologize for your families loss.

Andrew Harris askes that you please give him a call at the hotel. We want to make things right. Andrew is here today, Friday and then here all next week. We can't always find out who you are by looking in Tripadvisor or we would immediatly reach out to you.

We sincerely apologize for your experience. We will be sure to recap our training about this type of matter immediately.

Thank you.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a short visit in Philadelphia. Great location off the highway and great room with perfect view of the BF Bridge. The room was clean and comfortable and the hotel offers a very convenient shuttle I a two mile radius (enough to get you to independence hall). If you need anything ask the staff, they were very helpful. In case you were wondering… self-parking is $25/day.

Weekend breakfast is very busy...come early!

Room Tip: Avoid the west side of the building if highway noise is going to be a problem. pay the extra money t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear RSTD,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed Philadelphia and your stay at our hotel.

Being here in Penn's Landing and near center city, parking is at a premium and is very limited. We do our best to keep the parking costs down and to be competitive with the other hotels. Once we fill, we do valet. We also try to price our room rates competitive keeping the additional parking fee in mind.

Thank you so much again for your stay! We hope to see you again next summer!

Shamokin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel isn't bad at all. When I rate it three stars it's not a bad three stars. There are things I liked a lot about it:

1. The staff was really nice. They answered all my questions and helped out as much as the could
2. Breakfast was great. Everything was stocked up and they had a lot of good options.
3. Location is pretty cool. Seemed like there was a lot to do around.
4. The shuttle available was nice and not typical for a city hotel

Things I wasn't crazy about
1. Parking was stressful. It's a small lot and can't park as many cars as they have rooms so it was tight and people were getting parked in
2. It was a party hotel this weekend. I'm not sure if it's like that all the time but 90% of the people i saw were drunk party goers. There was a bachelorette party that took up about our entire hallway
3. The room wasn't very clean. I'm honestly not sure if the room was cleaned at all because the door was wide open when we got up to our room. There were long blonde hairs in the the bathroom that was not ours thats for sure. There was also no tissues and the roll of toilet paper was empty.

Overall I wouldn't be opposed to staying again if the price was right. I didn't have noise issues like other reviewers but I live on a very busy street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mibar4
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Mibar4,

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our Holiday Inn Express.

We are a popluar hotel in the Penn's Landing/Old City area. We apologize that there people that might have been having too much of a good time. It is not typical of our property.

Parking is at a premium here since there is so limited parking facilities or area's surrounding our hotel. We will valet when our lot shows pressure. I will be sure that the Parking Manager reviews your comments. It is important to us that you have a great time while you are staying at our hotel!

Thank you so much again! We appreciate and look forward to reviewing guest comments.

Have a great summer!

york,pa
Reviewed July 22, 2013

For just a one night stay, we were more than pleased with the service of the staff! Cynthia helped us with every question we could throw at her. As in were to eat, how to get there, whats new in town. She even had a map. Check in was quick and painless. The room was clean and quiet. Nice view too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Travelmum,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad that you had a nice time while in Philadelphia and enjoyed your stay at our Holiday Inn Express.

We apologize that there wasn't fresh fruit put out as a selection for breakfast. It is available daily, so I will follow up to be sure that it is available.

Thank you again. We hope to see you soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The location is very good, just right outside of center city and close to many major attractions (e.g. independence hall, liberty bell, various museums etc). Parking is available for US$25 per night.

We stayed on the 5th floor, facing the highway, it was slightly noisy but acceptable. Breakfast was included. The room was spacious and clean. The towels weren't very clean. I highly recommend that you rent a car if you stay here. You can walk about 15-20min to the Old City and Penns Landing. However, without a car, your best option is hiring a cab.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortPA405, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia E - Penns Landing, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Wingwing7,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear when guests enjoy our hotel and have a good time in Philadelphia.

Please note that next you come, please be sure to ask for a riverview room. That side is a little quieter and has a great view of the Ben Franklin Bridge and Delaware River. I think you would really enjoy it!

Have a great summer and thank you again.