“Interesting on coins”

Ranked #30 of 450 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: As close to the proverbial money-tree as you'll get. The U.S. Mint turns out 1.5 million coins per hour, and you can see how they do it.
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Interesting on coins”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Besides the seeing the coins being first hand, there are interesting artifacts on display before the escalator takes you up and look down from the catwalk, the different sections of how coins are made. It is a very long walk from one end to the other. Nearing the end, you can interact using a machine to try your skills and questions on podiums to answer as you go through.
Very well stocked souvenir shop, workers are very pleasant. Please restrain though from taking pictures as they request and is posted for obvious reasons.
A must visit.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Gothenburg
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Closed weekends except during summer”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The "tour" consists of you reading stuff off some displays and looking down at the factory. Interesting but nothing wow.
The good part was, as others have said, was the souvenir shop. I spent maybe 35 mins total and more than half that in the shop.

Bought a silver dollar for 53 bucks, booties for a baby and a mint balsam. They had sales rack with 8 dollar t shirts. The mint does not make these types of coins though, so no "P" on it, it comes from West Point.

It was also empty besides 2 other tourists.

Pay attention to the opening times! Week ends are closed except for summer!

1 Thank Wetpants
Bremerton, Washington
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Underrated!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I think that a lot of people, myself included, came here expecting to spend maybe 30 minutes to an hour inside. However, this place is not to be underestimated. There are so many interesting facts about coinage, and you get to walk around a catwalk to see the entire process. It's quite fascinating how technologically precise the minting process is! Instead of trying to squeeze this into your busy, historical day, save this for when you have more time, or replace one of the other attractions that you care less about, with this one. Also, note that kids seem to really enjoy this place! Did I mention that it's free? This was actually one of my favorite things in Philadelphia, and it's a great way to end a historical day.

Important: Security levels are high here, and they will be very upset if you're taking pictures inside the Mint. I know this from personal experience. ;)

Visited March 2013
3 Thank David G
Buffalo, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“How coins are made !”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

While in Jersey a few days early for the Super Bowl we decided to take a day trip to Philly on Friday and are glad we did. My Mom use to work at the Federal Reserve bank when i was young and I was always fascinated when she was allowed to bring her family in for a tour and being able to see pallets upon pallets of paper money stacked up waiting to be destroyed. The mint in Philly is where the coins are made with a "P" mint mark. The mint itself was very accommodating, clean, easy to navigate through and very well marked with many explanations of old artifacts, how the entire process of making a coin is created from start to finish and much more. The gift shop offers many inexpensive souvenirs but also the ability to purchase real money in proof sets or many commemorative coins from special marked events that happened in our country. Overall I am glad we stopped by and would recommend the US mint to anyone who not only likes money (who doesn't) but also might be curious of how the coins are made. And oh yeah it's free too.

1 Thank rmetcalf54
Austin, Texas
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“This can be a quick visit so save it for the end of your day”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I enjoyed this visit very much, however, if I could do it again I would save it for the end of the day, because looking back, I realized we probably spent to much time there. The reason I say this is because we went here at the beginning of our day, and we took our time reading everything about the coins and the Mint, but at the end of the day, I wish we would have had more time at the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall instead. All of the historical things in Philly seem to close at 5pm, therefore, if I could do it all over again, I would save the Mint until the very end of the day, to make sure I allowed enough time to take in the historical sites first.

My kids did enjoy seeing the coins get processed and made. Be sure to take your photo ID with you as they check it at the door. They also check your bags and you will go through a metal detector.

Visited October 2013