“Low tech tour, but definitely worth seeing”
Review of United States Mint

Ranked #33 of 458 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: As close to the proverbial money-tree as you'll get. The U.S. Mint turns out 1.5 million coins per hour, and you can see how they do it.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I liked the fact this was not a glitzy tour. It reminded me of the mint tour I took as a child decades ago. On the coin factory tour, I loved the display in which we 'met' some of the people who work at the mint, eg, the Chief Engraver, Chief Sculptor, etc. It honored their skills in a genuine way as they service their country. Also, the display of the mint worker who was injured or killed in Fallujah, Afghanistan was moving. I'm not sure why photos are not allowed on the tour. It's also always fun to watch the kids try to pick out coins rejected due to defects.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

The exhibits were great, but you couldn't take photos. The gift shop was alright, but it could have been better. They should have had more items to sell. There wasn't that much that interested me in the store. My favorite part was seeing the employees work in the factory and learning how the coins were made. Overall, it was okay.

1  Thank CTLiz10meep
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a fairly informative tour on how our money is made. The tour starts with a history of our coinage and then continues on a tour of how the coins are stamped, packaged, and delivered. You can then buy coin sets in the gift shop. And, with NO sales taxes on commemorative coins!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We happened to be walking by the US Mint, when we decided to randomly stop in and check things out. The tour was self-guided and free. The only stipulation was that you had to provide government identification (not a problem here... just pulled out the driver's license) and go through security. We loved learning about the history of US coins and seeing the process in which they were made. My husband even said it was well worth the 30 minutes we spent inside. Pop in if you have a chance, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

You may have to stand in line awhile to take this self guided tour, but it's well worth the time. No cameras or phone use is allowed, but we both enjoyed learning about the process of making our coins. Cool gift shop with unique treasures as well.