“Very Interesting and Fun for numismatics”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of United States Mint

Ranked #7 of 75 Tours in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: As close to the proverbial money-tree as you'll get. The U.S. Mint turns out 1.5 million coins per hour, and you can see how they do it.
East Liverpool, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Very Interesting and Fun for numismatics”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

My husband is a coin collector, and has visited the Mint in San Franscisco, so this was on our Must Do List, as well. It's close to the Old City, so if you aren't too tired, The Mint is a short walk away. It's a free, self-guided tour about 45-60 minutes, and you can't take pictures. You can watch them make coins, and there are lots of coins/medals on display. My husband was impressed with the classic comemmerative coins near the end of the tour. It was nice tour and we would go again.

Visited June 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Tampa, FL
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Interesting, Quick Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

The US Mint is a free attraction in downtown Philly, a good stop when checking out the tourist spots in the area. It doesn't take long, and is a self-guided tour. We went on a day when they were making pennies, the schedule rotates a bit depending on the day.

You don't get down on the floor with the money, but walk around a catwalk-type room above the action. There are pieces of old equipment, and plenty of old coins and commemorative medals to look at.

Houston, Texas
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Should see it - an easy indoor diversion have ID ready security screen NO PICS”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

The front desk greeter after security was informative and the only person to speak about mint it is self guided. I do have some interest in coins not an avid collector. It was interesting seeing what the mint is planning what has been done in the past in the summer, I am sure that it is a good place to cool off. My kids liked this better than the bureau of printing. THe information was better. There was not a lot of activity on the floor at 345 pm.

1 Thank travelhound9597
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great field trip with the kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

My son is fascinated with money...foreign and domestic coins and bills. When we visited Washington, DC, we wanted to visit the Bureau of Engraving and Printing only to find that you need a ticket that is given out to the first people arriving around 7am....the kids were very disappointed. So, we were pleasantly surprised to find that you can walk in off the street and tour this facility for free without ticket or advanced reservation. We visited on a Friday and there were very few people touring. It is a 1 hour self-guided tour and has many examples of coins old and new. You learn about the design process and see the original molds. The production line is easily viewed from above. We received a blank penny and new shield penny in a cellophane wrapper. That was an exciting addition to my son's coin collection. We really enjoyed our trip to Philly and this was definitely a highlight!

Reading Pa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not what I anticipated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

I was looking forward to going to the US mint for many years and anticipated seeing alot more.
First you do not get a guided tour it is just what you can learn from the posters on the wall. We saw alot of machinery and blank disc (used to press into pennies), being dumped from one conveyor belt to another, but no finished pennies coming out of the machinery. We went on a weekday so we could see more of the actual minting being done, but very few workers were there.
We saw one or two people walking around and 1 person on a tow motor.

My middle school aged daughter said it was interesting, but I thought they could do alot better job of describing the process and showing how the actual coins are made.

A movie would be nice. There was a television and video at the one end however it was broken.
My daughter liked the old fashioned umbrella stand at the turn around point display.

The coins at the end were neat and shiny.

Also, after checking the internet we found out we could not bring cell phones into mint which was not very convenient, my husband wasn't sure if he wanted to visit the mint because of not being able to stay in contact with work. He reluctantly agreed to go with out phone and then they told us at the door cell phones were ok if turned off. Someone should get this straighten out. Are cell phones ok or not. My husband would have been in trouble if there would have been a problem at work

The mint is ok to visit but don't expect too much.

3 Thank YAHFUNVACATION