“Fabulous!”

New York to Philadelphia Day Trip by Rail
Ranked #10 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Museum offers tickets for Adults (ages 22-64) $12, Youths (ages 13-21) $11, Children (12-under) free, Active Military (with ID) free, Seniors (65+) $11. This museum offers dynamic and always intriguing exhibits. The history and evolution of the American Jewish community from colonial times onward is chronicled.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We are local Philadelphians, and have been to the new NMAJH twice. We STILL haven't seen everything there, and definitely must keep going back. For the first time visit, we spent practically all of our time on the 4th floor. The docents are very informative. A visit to the museum is a source of pride for our city, local Jewish community, and I hope people of all different religious, ethnic backgrounds will come to visit this national treasure.

1  Thank proudtobeJewish

Reviewed October 19, 2012

In a modern building adjacent to the historical part of Philadelphia lies the National Museum of American Jewish History. Inside this edifice one finds the complete history of American Jewry. The museum is laid out in chronological order from colonial times to the present with many exhibits, films and interactive items. A must enjoyable visit for people of all denominations.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a docent tour that took us from the first Jews to arrive in America to the present. The museum is a wonderful architectural building. You start from the top floor and work your way down through history to the present. It was a fascinating trip.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My father and I went to this museum on a little day trip to Philadelphia. My father isn't Jewish, but I am, so I really wanted to go here. We went on Museum Day Live!, so it was free for us. The museum is very large, and is a beautiful building. We went up to the 4th floor to start on the Foundations of Freedon: 1654-1880 time period. There were many artifacts. Ancient documents that you would never find elsewhere. There were also many facts as well of course. I wasnt as interested in this part as I was about others because I like more modern history than history that is from hundreds and hundreds of years ago. This exhibit talked about things such as the Jews testing their freedom, the political affairs with the Christians, and the Eastern Europe migration. However, I did still like it and it was very fascinating. We then went down to floor 3 to Dreams of Freedom: 1880-1945. This section talks about things such as the 19th century immigration, and life after the immigration. It talked about how the Jews defined themselves during this period, and World War II, and the Holocaust. Reading about World War II was very moving. Afterwards, we went to floor 2 to see Choices and Challenges of Freedom: 1945-Today. This exhibit talks about things such as the immediate post-war era, the migration of Jews to suburban areas, a new life and beginning for them, the creation of the state of Israel, the Jews' fight for civil rights, and their role in the postwar culture and world. There is also an exhibit on the first floor called Only in America Gallery/Hall of Fame, which eighteen remarkable Jewish Americans, and the challenges and opportunities they encountered on their way to success. This is a very moving and touching museum, and I recommend it to everybody, no matter what religion you are.

1  Thank travelman4392
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I liked the way the museum presented a narrative of the relevant history including both displays and videos. The artifacts are interesting, too.