“An archeological treasure”

and up
Penn Museum General Admission
Ranked #29 of 471 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: If you want to find your mummy, or, for that matter, Buddha or shards of old pottery, look for this museum in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania campus.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This museum has a fabulous ancient Egypt collection. It is fun for kids to see the mummies and hieroglyphs. Worth the trip.

All reviews
in 61 reviews
"mummies"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This museum has fantastic collections that are well presented. The Egyptian, Greek and Roman collections are my favorite. The crystal ball in the Chinese collection shouldn't be missed.

I have been visiting this museum on a regular basis for over twenty years, and they have done a great job of keeping the museum up to date.

The building itself is interesting, too. I love the garden in front of the main entrance.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I visit this museum every five or ten years with my most recent trip happening in May 2012. A great collection of historical artifacts reaching back thousands of years. A true mecca of multiple cultures all given their own distinct areas and exhibits.

I just think that the U of P which is very wealthy could aeasily afford to completely update and modernize the bathrooms, interior sitting areas, overall lighting, and some of the very old exhbition dioramas, signage, and overall decor.

1  Thank Rocco A
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Largest Egyptian collection in the states. High quality artifacts. Roman, Greek, Asian and North American Collections were impressive as well. Check out the Mayan Exhibit before it leaves- a sight to been seen. Three floors to keep you busy. Parking is $21.

1  Thank zurak87
See more reviews
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I went to this museum during their Maya exhibit. I found the ticket cost to be somewhat high, we paid almost $50 for 2 people, which included the Maya exhibition and $2 audio tour (if you bring 2 sets of earphones you can get by with one if you don't mind sharing). I found parking to be a pain. The museum parking was not obvious to find (it is directly behind the museum, near the Septa rail stop) and is $21 flat rate if I recall correctly. We found street parking for $9 instead.

Overall the special exhibit was well presented, I spent about 2 hours there. After a break, I then decided to just breeze past a few highlights, as the museum was closing in an hour, so I checked out the sphinx, the mummies, and the Chinese exhibits, all of which were great. As an estimate, I would plan to spend about 1-2 hours on the special exhibit, and probably over 3 hours if you wanted to see the entire museum after that.

What I found really great is that no one bothered me about my bag. I am used to museum guards materializing out of thin air, telling me I can't wear my bag (even though the ticket guys say it's OK to wear over one shoulder or in front) as though I am walking backwards into walls or prone to epileptic seizures all the time.

Overall I think it is great, but you can easily end up paying $70 with parking for this venue (don't forget the obligatory overpriced cafe). I recommend starting out early as it closes by 5, and packing along plenty of food and snacks.

2  Thank MaxwellPowers