“Stepping back in time”

Ranked #31 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: America's oldest residential street was built in 1702 and is now designated a National Historic Landmark.
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Over the several times I have visited Philadelphia, I have seen lots of the historic buildings. When I visited recently with my wife, I wanted to see something I hadn't yet seen, so we decided to go to Elfreth's Alley. We enjoyed our walk down the alley, visiting the several different buildings and stopping in the museum/office. There was an artisan making chairs by hand who was really interesting.

1  Thank Charming_Karl

Reviewed February 25, 2013

When walking through the streets of Philadelphia, one can't help but notice typical city trash and graffiti. Elfreth's a a breath of fresh air. It's not located in the best of neighborhoods, so when you turn the corner on to the alley, your draw drops. Originally, I expected it to be a tad larger then it really is, but it was still great. The tour guide does a good job painting out what life was like on America's longest inhabited street. I found the piece about the insurance plaques to be particularly intriguing. A tour of one small house is optional, and I recommend it. The house isn't nothing to write home about, but it's still worth it. If you fall in love with the quaint little street, there are currently two little house for sale, and one for rent. It is mandatory to pay s small two dollar fee for the tour.

2  Thank CTCharlie
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Tour guide needed to appreciate the history of the city
Carriage Ride Tour nice in the Fall, A lot to see in Phila

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Touching and evocative to stand in front of loved and lived-in homes that have been in use since the early 1700s. A concrete reminder that William Penn's legacy is alive.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Good for the historical value and located in Old City (nice part of Philly). I live across the street so I may be jaded, but it's a small alley right around the corner from Betsy Ross house. There is a lot of shopping for the ladies and if you're looking for a quick bite I suggest Wedge & Fig (sit in the back part...it's a little alley cove).