“Where did our waiter go?”
Review of Devil's Den

Devil's Den
Ranked #644 of 4,461 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Ellsworth
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Beer was warm, service was bad and my wife's grilled vegie sandwich was very was bad.
No silverware was on the table when our food came? Couldn't find a waiter to get us silverware?
Where was the owner? Nice Bar but they need someone to taste the food before they serve it.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Really nice beer selection with a Belgian slant and well-informed servers to help you. Mellow atmosphere, cozy fireplace and feel. Nice burger/mussel type menu and both choices are definitely above average.
Nice weekend brunch with $3 mimosas and bloody marys. The cheese fries w/ duck gravy is fantastic! Food a bit heavy, but nice and creative.
A nice addition to South Philly.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is strictly a Brunch review:

Unfortunately, I will not be returning to or recommending Devil's Den for brunch--and what a bummer.

First negative, is I made a reservation on http://Opentable.com and got no points for it thanks to the hostess' neglect in checking us in. Understandable to some degree, but still sort of annoying. Especially after this doosey of an experience.

Second, took FOREVER to get someone to wait on us. They sat us in the bar area at a high top table. We were one of the only patrons in the place so I found it a little odd that no one was around to take care of us. This was a brunch to celebrate with my Mom and Stepdad, so it was a little embarrassing. The bartender didn't even acknowledge us or provide any reassurance.

We quickly realized why. We saw one server go up to the bar to get drinks for her table. As she was waiting at the bar she was SCREAMING profanities at the bartender and slamming things left and right. And not just profanities, but things that made my mother blush. Not exactly sure what he did wrong, but clearly it was something along the lines of cheating on her with her sister. She was fuming. Meanwhile we prayed she wasn't about to wait on us. My Mom at this point is looking VERY uncomfortable. I'm mortified.

A server finally arrives with no apology. Take our order. 45 minutes later someone else brings our food. We never see that server again until she drops the check. No refills, no "how was the food", etc. I left having to apologize the entire walk home to my folks. Not exactly how I had planned on spending my Sunday afternoon.

Hugely disappointed. Food was OK but the service was so bad there's not much more I can give than 1 star.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The food here can be hit or miss & the menu changes a lot. But they have a great beer selection & folks are friendly

Reviewed June 17, 2012

We went here for Father's Day Brunch. Great food, very different from other brunches. The fried avocado is very good, very unique. Good breakfast potatoes. My husband said the french toast was the best he ever had. Two complaints which are, I think, easily corrected. The eggs on the benedicts were over cooked; consistency more like soft boiled eggs, not runny. Also, the food was not hot. But all in all, great place for brunch