“Good for Brunch”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Ellsworth
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We went here for Father's Day Brunch. Great food, very different from other brunches. The fried avocado is very good, very unique. Good breakfast potatoes. My husband said the french toast was the best he ever had. Two complaints which are, I think, easily corrected. The eggs on the benedicts were over cooked; consistency more like soft boiled eggs, not runny. Also, the food was not hot. But all in all, great place for brunch

Reviewed February 10, 2012

OK, it's in a neighborhood near South Philly, and at night you may have to search, both for the place and for a parking spot on the street. But persevere. When they bring a leather-bound beer menu to you, you will know you have found the right place. The cozy fireplace bar/restaurant is a beer lover's paradise; however, their slightly upscale menu will satisfy even the most challenging diner. I had the pasta with duck confit, and my husband had the steak frites. Yum. Even if we (in our 50's and 60's) were clearly the oldest people there, we still had a great time. I wish I had not been driving. I would have another wonderful draft of whatever that yummy IPA was. . . .

Reviewed September 13, 2011

If you’re a beer connoisseur or like me you just like to sample interesting (and tasty) beers Devil’s Den has a fantastic collection of draft beers. The staff was extremely helpful and the food was tasty. I recommend this place for small groups looking for a casual, fun night out.

Reviewed August 18, 2011

What a great spot...I visited for the first time recently and based on the beer list alone I have to give it five stars. It was their anniversary so they had a free buffet on Saturday afternoon - what a great way to say thanks to your customers. I can't really review the food as we didn't order off the menu but the meatballs and sausages were good. We sat at the bar and the service was friendly and quick and there were two televisions for baseball opening weekend viewing.

How can you rate anywhere serving Pliny The Elder (outside of CA) anything but five stars? Amazing. Also on tap was the Avery Maharaja which was superb as well. A great list of about 12-15 drafts and even more bottles. The prices were spot-on as well...five bucks (actually $4 during the anniversary celebration) for a glass of Pliny?! I look forward to visiting the Devil's Den again and actually having the opportunity to sample the food menu! HELLO chickpea fries!

Reviewed June 23, 2009

Devil's Den is a great neighborhood bar in South Philly located on 11th and Ellsworth (a block south of Washington). They have hundreds of beers available including an ever-changing selection of 15-20 beers on draft. The waitstaff/bartenders know their beers and can be counted on for a good suggestion. I've never experienced the poor service mentioned in the previous review.

I would give Devil's Den a higher review if their food was a little better. I've had a few things on the menu, including the mussels, pulled pork sandwich, and sloppy joes. The food is just ok, making Devil's Den primarily a place to drink and maybe snack on some wings or fries (both really good). Good bar scene on weeknights and on the weekends if you're looking for a laid-back bar scene with great beer.

1  Thank BrianFromPhila