All reviews city hall convention center bliss bath products wxyz bar bank building methodist church opened months ago short walk to china town green option subway train front desk corner room equipped rooms fire pit sliding door blackout shades impressive lobby
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

The Aloft Hotel was a great stay. I have a couple “areas for improvement” (I’ll get to those in a sec) but overall the Hotel was clean, fresh and lively. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The Hotel has only been open for a year so everything was clean and new which is hard to come by in Philly. I would rate this a four-star hotel and for the price it was very reasonable. We arrived early and dropped off our bags which they held for us while our room was being prepared and we attended the Auto Show. The front desk told us that we would be emailed when the room was ready but unfortunately, we never received that email. When we returned to the hotel after 3PM the room was ready but we weren’t notified. Could have been a timing issue, no big deal. Then the front desk told us that our bags would be delivered to our room. Sounded like a great service. After waiting about 45min, still no bags. I called the front the desk and after some confusion they found our bags and brought them to our room only to find out that one of the bags was not ours so the young lady had to go back down and find the other bag. After 90 min total we had both of our bags. Not a big deal but again something to improve on.
The Hotel itself has quite a bit of history and it’s hard to believe it was once a bank. Built back in 1925 for Liberty bank it still has the original vault which is part of the exercise room. The hotel remained vacant for several years before being completely restored to what you see today. The architecture is prevalent to early 20th century buildings but modern lighting, fixtures and décor bring it to the 21st century. The lobby has various games arranged throughout the spacious sitting area. Chess, Connect Four and full-size billiards table are there for your enjoyment. It’s a mix of vintage and new which really enhances the aesthetics. The location is ideal for midtown access to any of the historic sites, convention center, or Reading Terminal Market. Plenty to do, see and eat in the area. The hotel is also pet friendly and by the welcoming dog dishes in the lobby w treats it’s obvious to tell it caters to your four-legged friends.
The gym as I mentioned earlier has the original vault as part of the room. They offer plenty of cardio machines, free weights, exercise balls, towels, headphones and water. Just about everything you need for a quick workout.
I stayed in a “breezy corner room” located on the 19th floor which is their highest floor. Great views of the city! The elevators are quick and we rarely waited more than a few min. You also need to use your key card to access any floor which I thought added a touch of security. If you want a quiet room from the city traffic, pick a high floor. Remember you are in center city. The traffic sounds we heard were from an occasional ambulance or fire truck driving by. The AC/Heat was easy to control and very quiet. Don’t rely of the fan unit to soothe you to sleep. If you’re one that likes white noise while sleeping then bring a sound machine or use an app. The room, since it was a corner room, was nicely laid out in a “U” shape. One end being the door adjacent to the bathroom and the other side was the bedroom with a sitting area and desk in between. This was ideal for a couple or single traveler but since there is only one TV located in the bedroom and no chairs in there as well, you’ll only be able to watch TV while lying in bed. Not an issue for us just something to know and ask if the TV location is a concern. There is one Power control switch which turns off the power to every light. This is convenient if you have all the lights on and want to turn everything off/on at once. They have your typical amenities in the room, mini-fridge, coffee maker, soaps and shampoo in the bathroom, safe and hairdryer. One thing I would like to see added would be a wet-bar in the room and more wash cloths. Only 1 wash cloth but two towels. May be an oversight. One thing I loved about the room was the room darkening shades. With all the shades down it blocks 98% of the light coming in and it will be hard to tell the time of the day when you’re awake. The alarm clock did have a night light and USB ports if needed. The bed was comfy, soft pillows and nice comforter. The nightstands are equipped with even more USB ports so you need only bring your cables to recharge your devices.
The hotel does not have a full-service restaurant or room service. However, it does have the W XYZ bar located in the lobby which serves small plate appetizer foods and a couple of desserts (after 5PM). Obviously since it is a bar it’s well stocked with plenty of mid to top shelf varieties of whiskies, liquors and beer. Though the prices were a bit steep I suppose that’s typical for city hotels. I’m not going to hold it against the hotel for not having a full service restaurant like other people have when it specifically says on their web page that it does not. With plenty of other restaurants in downtown Philly you will not be at a loss for fine dining, fast food and everything in between. The lobby also has a variety of snacks, pre-packed readymade sandwiches, juices, soda and coffees and small breakfast items in the morning such as bagels, muffins and fruit for a reasonable price. Again, this is a city hotel so they’re a bit pricier than a typical 7-Eleven or Wawa (if you’re from the Philly area).
Overall we had a great stay and would definitely go back. Would like to see possible wet-bar options in rooms, eventually a full service restaurant and fine tune the baggage handling. If you have any questions about the hotel or local feel free to send me a message. Safe and Happy Travels!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
AloftPHLDowntown, General Manager at Aloft Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2018

Hi Enterprise,

Wow, that's a review! Extremely thorough, accurate and well written. When I travel I always appreciate insightful reviews, yours is just that!

We did miss a few beats and will get better at it. I will be sure we revisit and retrain our luggage processes and the electronic notification that your room is ready. The wash cloths were a unique situation, there should have been more in the room. We had a temporary issue with our laundry and that has since been remedied.

Glad you connected with all the creature comforts in the room: mini-fridge, USB ports, Bluetooth JBL sounds, Netflix TV and of course a comfortable bed.

Hope to host you again on your next visit to Philly! Come check out the Lombardi Trophy!
Evan

Reviewed January 31, 2018

Very nice snd comfortable. Excellent location. Spacious rooms and very comfortable beds.
The only thing I did not like was the sliding door in the bathroom, It did not close completely, so it was not completely private.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Bride,

Thanks for choosing our hotel!

I'm glad you enjoyed a spacious room and comfortable bed. Nothing beats a good night of sleep!

Hope to serve you again!

Evan

Reviewed January 28, 2018

Outstanding stay! Great service, location, reasonable rates! I would recommend this to anyone traveling to Philadelphia.
I have no more to say but I can't get out of this program which is an unfair requirement!

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
AloftPHLDowntown, Manager at Aloft Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2018

Ladyg872,

Thank you so much!! My favorite reviews are the ones with a lot of exclamation points! So glad that you found every aspect of your stay to be so enjoyable, and I hope you return to us soon!

Best,

Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

Decided to stay here only after finding the Marriott’s special car show pricing was sold-out and room prices were extremely expensive. Wow, am I glad we did. Check-in was smooth with friendly staff. Lobby is beautiful with a hip, trendy European vibe. We liked that elevator access is secure with room key needed to access floors. Room is a little small but perfect in every way. Decor is beautiful. My favorite thing is how clean the room is! It’s a new hotel but I really have to assume cleanliness is a priority here. The entire hotel is spotless! I highly recommend this property and you can’t beat the price. What a great addition to the area.

Stayed: January 2018

Shane,

You are absolutely right, we always put cleanliness and security at the top of our priority list! I can't tell you how often I find myself raving about how much of the history we were able to mix into our renovation, between the lobby, our fitness center, and everywhere else in the hotel. Can't wait to have you join us again!

Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

When my husband told me we were staying at Aloft, I was a little skeptical because we usually stay at Hyatts. I didn’t know what to expect. However, once we got there, I was very surprised. The room had a cozy loft like apartment feel with plenty of space. We used valet parking which was more convenient than trying to find parking every time we left out. Check out the photos.

Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple

Sunflower0225,

I am so happy to hear that we could break the mold and surprise you for your first Aloft experience! Our valet parking team is great, and I am glad that you found it so convenient! Looking forward to welcoming you back to Philadelphia!

Yours,