“Reliable, Clean - great location!!!”

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #37 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Stayed here for 1 day over the Thanksgiving holidays. Checked in early around 1pm with no problems. A 2 double bed room that I had won on Priceline for $45.00 a night. Great deal in this location. This is a solid 3* Hilton in the middle of center city. Very accessible to all tourist venues in Philadelphia. Did not have a car so did not have to worry about parking downtown, which can be quite pricey. Room was spotless, & the bed was really comfortable as it was the new Garden Sleep System that they have recently upgraded to. Similar to a sleep number bed. Bathroom was typical, not real large, but quite user friendly. Free wireless internet throughout hotel as well as 3-4 PCs in the lobby for use by guests at no charge. Indoor pool looked nice but I did not utilize this or the jacuzzi. If you are looking for a good, reliable place for a few days in Philly with a great location, this is it. This was my second stay at this hotel & probably will not be my last.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2010

Thanks for the great comments and look forward to your return in the near future! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed for two nights, November 15-17. Reserved one room through Priceline at the nightly rate of $49 USD. I knew that parking would be more expensive ($31/day), but I wanted the convenience of being in downtown Philadelphia.

At the check-in desk were welcome bags for Hilton HHonors members containing a bag of chips, a bottle of water and some chocolates. Even Priceline bookings are eligible to collect HHonors points, so my friend found his number to claim the points and welcome bag.

We checked-in to our room (820) with two double beds, a desk, TV and kitchen kiosk with coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. It wasn't as small as others led me to believe, but it is true that the sleep number dial on the side of the bed does nothing.

There is free Internet access and a very good business center in the lobby with two Internet terminals and a printer/photocopier. The lobby also had complimentary cookies and hot apple cider upon arrival, but I never saw the food cart again during my stay.

While parking was rather expensive, the daily fee included in-and-out privileges. This was good in affording a trip to Lancaster County (an hour away) and a stop at the Amish-inspired Shady Maple Smorgasbord.

The hotel is located right in downtown, close to Chinatown and the Reading Terminal Market. The 11th Street SEPTA station is nearby and gives access to the Market-Frankford Line. My friend and I took the SEPTA to the Philadelphia Flyers game, and the trip took around 30 minutes.

Less than a mile away is Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell Center, which are a must-see for everyone, not just Americans. In the same area is the United States Mint, which offers free self-guided tours and a look at how coins are made.

I had a great time in Philadelphia and enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. I have no complaints about recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank smokedmeat
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and hope to be of service to you again should you return to Philly! Safe travels.......

Reviewed November 25, 2010

It's not that this hotel is horrible; it's just very average. For the price I had much higher expectations. The rooms are small, the bathrooms are small, and one of the most important parts- the beds- are uncomfortable. They have a gimmicky "sleep number" type option on their beds, which is a nonfunctional plastic knob on the side of the mattress. I have paid a lot less money at other major city hotels and had much bigger and finer rooms. The shower head position couldn't changed and it was spraying against the wall of the shower, and the alarm didn't work and I was very thankful I had also set my alarm on my cell phone. I was also surprised to find they did not have a continental breakfast; the breakfast they did have started at $14. Parking at this hotel is definitely the most I've ever paid for parking anywhere in my life.

The worst part of this hotel was booking the room over the phone. When I called to book the room, the person did not speak very good English and put me on hold three times, each time resuming the call and asking me what was I calling for, meaning I had to explain three different times to the same person. After we finally established that I wanted to book a room and the dates, the woman tried to end the phone call and I had to ask her repeatedly how much was the room per night, the final price, and I had to ask her to confirm the dates because she would just say "Okay, I will do it" and I'm thinking, "You will do WHAT exactly?" since she's charging my credit card.

On the other hand, the staff in person at the hotel is amazing, very helpful and friendly. Non pretentious to me and my friend who had only been to Philly once before. It was also very convenient that they let me and my friend check in before the 4pm check-in time. The room and bathroom were very clean both days I stayed in the hotel. The location is superb, if you're willing to sacrifice some comfort and a little extra money.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I will certainly address the points you elaborated on with various departments of the hotel. I do apologize for the confusion you experienced while making your reservations and will certainly share your feedback with Hiltons Central Reservations, as all calls for room accomodations are handled through that office. I was glad to hear that the staff at our hotel took very good care of you and hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust should your travels take you back to Philly!

Reviewed November 22, 2010

I was a bit nervous when I saw the neighborhood of this hotel because it was a classic Philly neighborhood of narrow streets, and was located next to the bus station. I desperately needed some good sleep! But the construction of the rooms was successful in dampening both the sounds of the street and from neighboring rooms and hallway. This is most important to me!

The location is convenient right next to the Reading Terminal, not far from Chinatown, City Hall, and the downtown shopping. At no time did I feel "unsafe" in this part of Philly.

The breakfast on the 10th floor was very good, and had a lovely, sunny view over the convention center. This is a great value in comparison to the other hotels in the neighborhood.

Parking was typical of Philadelphia, but was easy, and in and out privileges made it so convenient.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2010

Thanks for the great review and glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see return in the near future. Safe travels.........

Reviewed November 11, 2010

It's hard to write a review on a place you only stayed in for one night but here's what we noticed while we were there: The staff at the front desk were friendly for the most part but not above and beyond in any way. For dinner, they of course recommended the hotel restaurant which looked very nice but we were in Chinatown and wanted to enjoy a restaurant that reflected that. We went with Tazia's, a recommendation from the nicer of the front desk clerks, and loved it! Parking was good, it was a bit pricey but you are staying in a large city so that's to be expected. I did like that the parking was in the same building as the hotel. Rooms were basic, nothing wowed us, but nothing greatly disappointed us either. We could hear everyone that passed by outside our door, but this didn't seem to be something that was so bad it awoke us, so overall we were pleased. We would definitely do another overnight here, but would probably look to somewhere with a bit more of a "wow factor" if we were staying in Philly longer.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed your brief stay with us. Hope you consider to stay with us again if your travels take you to Philly in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

I'm an HHonors club member so I see Hiltons all over the place. Sad to say, this is one of the less impressive ones I've run across. The average Hampton Inn is nicer than this and for the same or less money.

My initial impression upon arrival around 3:45 pm on a Saturday was not good. The lobby was somewhat small and crowded with what appeared to be at least one large tour group. I figured there might be a line at check-in since that's close to check-in time, but I was not prepared to stand in line for upwards of 20 minutes while the line got longer and longer behind me. There were three desk clerks on duty and they were all taken up with three customers who apparently needed a significant amount of extra help/ service beyond just the 5 minutes it takes to check into one's room. I don't see why there couldn't have been one clerk helping the people in line, who like me, probably mostly had 5-minute transactions, so 30 people didn't have to wait for the three people at the desk to have their 20-minute discussions with the managers or whatever. I was in town for a concert, and the main performer for the night was also having to stand in line several persons behind me, which I know must have inconvenienced him since he was due at soundcheck (he finally left the line). My friend who was attending the concert with me and staying in a different room said he had arrived at 3 pm and was told his room was ready but he wasn't allowed to check into it yet - so he was stuck in line too. It was totally ridiculous as the line eventually ran the whole length of the lobby and was still going on an hour later when more friends of mine checked in!

Once I got past the bad lobby experience and up to my room, I found it a bit run down and grungy. The tub had a big rust stain, the sink had a big crack and the toilet seat was about the cheapest imaginable. The carpet seemed old and not clean, the bed only had one very thin comforter and when I got out the extra blanket from the closet and put it on the bed, the blanket was very old, stiff (like it hadn't been washed in who knows when) and contained several moth holes. When I opened the refrigerator, a three-foot piece of the cabinet housing it fell off - it was loose - and landed on my arm. The entrance hall of the room also smelled like smoke (I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be a non-smoking room) and there was a lot of noise from the hallway.

While I was getting settled into my room and in and out meeting friends, etc., the front desk clerk who had just checked me in called and left a voice mail message about was I satisfied with my room and give her a call if there was anything more she could do. Unfortunately, when I saw the message light flashing, I tried to pick up my message by pressing "voice mail" on the phone. That key did not work, so I had to call the operator, which rang for a very long time before anyone answered. I finally got the operator who told me a number sequence to press to pick up the message. After wasting 5 minutes on this I was not happy to find out it was just a message from the Hilton staff. I appreciate their concern but given that I was only going to be in this room overnight and had already wasted a lot of time in the check-in line I was more concerned with getting to my dinner and show engagements than I was with talking to them.

A few positives: The location of this hotel is very convenient to the Trocadero Theater (where the show I was seeing was held) as well as to Chinatown (good restaurants) and the market (around the corner). I liked that the room had a fridge, coffee, microwave and decent wi-fi, the TV was nice, the room had a small scrap of a city skyline view, and the free bath products were nice (though I wasn't going to use them in that grungy tub, I took them home). The free breakfast was also good and the restaurant has nice views, though I do wish it and a bunch of meeting rooms hadn't been located directly on my hotel floor (more noise). However, overall I would expect more from a Hilton. I would only stay here again if I was staying for just one night to go somewhere in the immediate neighborhood. The value for what you pay is simply not that great.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo

I do thank you for taking the time to post your review and wanted to personally apologize for the incoveniences and defeciencies you experienced during your stay with us as it is certainly not the norm. I have shared your comments with various department heads to follow up accordingly. I do hope you provide us anoither chance to regain your trust and I urge you to contact me directly shoudl your travels take you back into Philadelphia so I can assist in securing your reservation personally. Safe travels.

Reviewed November 5, 2010

To get your food. It was next door and it was awesome. Highly recommended. I love the beds at Hilton Garden Inn but for some reason I couldn't get comfortable in this one no matter how I turned the dial. It felt as if it was "deflated" somehow.

I also didn't lilke the 3am fire alarm. Running down 11 flights of stairs in the middle of the night was no fun....especially when we got to the bottom and found out it was false. This was also not the first time it happened at the hotel so be careful about that. I couldn't go back to sleep after it.

Overall the staff was really nice and it is a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2010

Thanks for taking the time for posting your review. I can appreciate your comment about being woken up by the Life Safety System, but please understand that it was activated for a reason. There was a pipe that had burst in the parking garage (in which we are built on top of so the systems are tied together) which caused the alarm to activate. Once the cause was found, it was determined it was not a life threatening situation so everyone was allowed to return to the comfort of their rooms. I do understand the inconvenience, but hope you understand that the safety of our guests and staff is our utmost concern. Hope to see you return.