“Never felt 100% Safe or Comfortable Here. Not up to Hilton Standards. Great Dining Room Staff though!”

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #39 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed May 24, 2010

This hotel would better served if it were to a) relocate it's lobby to an above ground floor level (as at Hilton's Inn at Penn in Philly) or b) hire full time security guards at the entranceway to their lobby and or close the unmanned "side lobby area" entrance at night. I stayed here with my cousin and a guy hanging out outside followed us inside, we felt unsafe but the only other hotel staff present were behind the Front Desk, unawhere of our predicament. This hotel needs to make a much better commitment to it's guests by hiring Lobby Security. Once upstairs, the hotel is nice though room service trays were left outside of rooms too long, the halls were very hot (an air problem that I was told was "being fixed tomorrow"), the best part was the dining room, great view but I would not stay here again. If they cared about their guests, they would've been up-front about the temperature problem in the hallway and dining area and they would show MUCH more of a commitment to Security. I bet this is not a corporate-owned property.

jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share and post your comments about your recent stay. I certainly understand your concern for safety while travelling in an urban location such as center city. I assure you that the hotel has not experienced any security issues and we do in fact staff the hotel with security guards during the overnight shift. I do apologize for the public space air conditioning as that was certainly an unexpected mechanical failure, which has been rectified. I hope you provide us another opportunity to regain your trust should your travels take you back into the Philadelphia area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,085)

Reviewed May 17, 2010

In previous trips to Philadelphia, we always stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Philadelphia Downtown and always enjoyed it. For this particular weekend, that hotel was unfortunately booked. On our most recent trip to Philadelphia, my husband and I booked the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City.

When we booked the room, we opted to do the Advance Purchase to get the best rate since we knew our travel plans would not change. This basically means that you pay in full in advance. No changes are allowed, no credits will be given, completely non refundable. With that said, when we checked in we didn't expect to have to give a credit card or anything. We were wrong. They require a credit card in case you damage the room or charge anything to the room. Okay, that's understandable and I didn't have a problem with it. But what if we didn't have a credit card with us? What if we assumed since we pre-paid we didn't need a credit card? I expressed my feelings to the woman who checked us in. She basically looked at me like I was a piece of dirt and ignored me. Fine. I was annoyed. We got our room keys and left to go to our room.

I had requested (about a month in advance) a high floor room, preferably with a view of the city. I was assured this would be noted on my reservation and that it shouldn't be a problem to accomidate since they weren't at capacity. I called about a week in advance and was assured this was noted on my reservation and there shouldn't be an issue with my request. Weren't we surprised to enter our room to find we had a beautiful view...of a parking garage! The room itself was clean, so I wasn't about to argue about the view...I just accepted it.

Fast foward to about midnight. We get back to the room from the concert, take showers and want to just go to sleep since we were exhausted after traveling and the concert. Side note, keep in mind the ringing you have in your ears after a concert making all noises muffled for a while. I think we fell asleep about 1:00 only to be woken up NUMEROUS times by the people in the room next to ours. They were obviously having some type of party and being extremely loud. I called the front desk and was assured someone would come up to tell them to be quiet. My husband and I listened for the knock at their door (since you could hear basically everything through the walls) and was angered when 15 minutes passed with nothing. I called the front desk again and was told that someone had in fact gone PAST the room but didn't hear any noise so there was no reason to disturb the guests. I told them to make sure someone came up and if they couldn't hear the noise from the hallway then they could certainly come into our room and listen to them carrying on. I was assured that wasn't necessary and someone would talk to the guests. About 10 minutes passed and I heard the knock at their door (actually heard the knock). The guests were told someone was complaining about their noise levels. That was it. The guy left withour really giving a warning. Needless to say, they got louder. I called again, and wasn't surprised when no one came to follow up on my noise complaint. We turned the TV on to try to drown the sound out, but didn't get to sleep until about 4:00. At about 6:00 the guests to our other side must have woken up because the sound of their bathroom door opening and closing woke us up. By this point we just wanted to get out of there. We got dressed and checked out. We expressed our dissatisfaction with the hotel and we weren't even offered an apology. We were too exhausted to argue for a refund, so we just left.

I would never in a million years give this hotel a second chance, nor would I recommend it to anyone. I would actually recommend staying in your car over staying in this hotel. The walls are paper thin and the staff doesn't care if their guests are satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bella213
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns about your stay and I do apologize for the challenges you encountered. We will review your comments with our Front Office and Security staff. I can certainly understand your frustration in relation to the noise created by neighboring guests for that evening and we do try to take an aggressive role in ensuring that everyone's stays is relaxing and enjoyable. It is evident by your note, that our staff did not resolve the issue in a timely or effective manner and again I personally apologize. I do hope you allow the hotel another opportunity to regain your trust, as your experience is certainly not the norm.

Reviewed May 7, 2010

Advantages:
- Great Center City location
- Good value
- Clean
- Good work area
- Each room has refrigerator and microwave
- Helpful staff
- Wired Ethernet for Internet

Disadvantages:
- None that I can think of

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Conraveler
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2010

Thanks for sharing your comments about your recent stay and hope to be of service should your travels bring you back to Philly!

Reviewed April 28, 2010

Hilton Diamond level guy, so I've been to quite a few HGIs. I leaned on the front desk staff a few times for restaurant recommendations, assistance with getting around, etc. - was given some great steers, and always friendly service from the guest relations person (Jaqueline?) who really went the extra mile, and the barkeep upstairs was helpful as well.

Yes, the $27.50 parking offends my sense of value.

Rooms, nice enough, area a little dead, but that could be viewed as a plus or a minus, I suppose. Quick walk to Liberty Bell and other tourist things, very near convention center, breakfast super like HGIs usually are.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank swtc
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the staff helpful. I understand your concern about the charge for parking that is provided by the adjacent garage, but there are not any less expensive options that include a covered facility along with in and out priveldges in the city. There are some open air lots that are a few dollars less - but they are located a couple blocks away. Hope to see you return.

Jim Salvo, Genral Manager

Reviewed April 13, 2010

This hotel was OK, but could have been cleaner (I'm picky). It was very convenient to Chinatown and the Liberty Bell, but a little bit of a walk to the nice restaurants and shopping. The staff was pleasant, but parking was $27! So bottom line, if a great rate is obtained, it's a decent hotel; but if the pricing is comparable, I think I'll try someplace else next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

I appreciate your candid comments and will certainly review with our housekeeping staff as we continually try to exceed all of our guests expectations. I do hope you keep us in mind when returning to the city - would love the opportunity to take care of your travel needs again! Thanks for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed April 4, 2010

My husband and I made a last minute trip to Philly this weekend. We stayed 1 night at the Doubletree (see seperate review) and one night at the Garden Inn.
We arrived much earlier than check in but the front desk got us into a room right away. The room was big but didn't have a view. The hotel really could use a renovation but it was clean. We were within walking distance of many things including everything in Olde City and basically conected to the Reading Terminal Market. The only negatives were nearby dinner options consisted of Chinatown restaurants and chains, such as Chili's and Maggianos. I also didn't like the location of our room. At about 8 in the morning I could hear the dinging of the elevator about every 5 minutes. It was really annoying when trying to sleep in! Just be sure to get a room away from the elevator if you stay here. The breakfast buffet here was really good!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again soon!

Jim Salvo

Reviewed March 28, 2010

My family really enjoyed staying at this hotel during a Saturday night stay. We loved the fact that the Reading Terminal Market was only steps away from the hotel. We also received a great late night dinner recommendation from Taiyell. It's a Asian/Tapas restaurant across the street from the hotel and everything was delicious!! We also had maintenance in our room within 5 minutes of requesting them for a clogged toilet. We appreciated the free high speed internet and would definitely stay at the Hilton Garden Inn again!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank suzkal
jimsalvo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2010

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and I am glad your enjoyed your stay with us! Hope to see you again soon.......

Jim Salvo, General Manager