Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
$367
$179
$125
2,112 results
All reviewsthe reading terminal marketacross the streetgreat locationfloor restaurantparking garagecenter cityjunior suitewithin walking distanceliberty belljefferson stationrestaurant stafftop floorflower showhotel is locatedindependence hallbusiness centerfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2006

We booked this HGI through priceline for $55. For the price, this is a good, solid choice in downtown Philly. It's built right into the same block as the Reading Market, PA Convention Center and the Septa train station. We were in town to see a show at the Academy of Music. The walk was an easy 6-7 blocks. Even when returning at 10:30pm, we didn't seem the least bit unsafe. Just stick to the main streets.

Hotel lobby is not big or fancy, but efficient. We were given a room with 2 double beds. I had requested a king, but was told they had no more left at 5pm. I thought that was kind of early to be out of king beds, especially when we saw several folks checking in at 10:30pm. It's probably just a priceline thing. Our room was renovated, clean and comfortable. Really no view on our side, just the parking garage and the tops of some skyscrapers. TAKE NOTE, these rooms have both a refrigerator and a microwave, which is very rare these days. If we knew that, definitely would have brought some popcorn.

The restaurant on the 10th floor looked nice overlooking the city, but we did not eat there. The gym/pool were on our floor. Pool looked on the small side. The gym was small, but did have 4-5 cardio machines, free weights and a couple of universal machiners. The parking garage is easy to get to from the lobby. Much to my surprise, I was not charged a parking fee when leaving. Overall, I would be happy to get this room again at $55 a night.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank relayer
Reviewed August 6, 2006

I called ahead and was advised parking was $21 for 24hours and you could come and go with that rate. On arrival their garage can only accommodate vehicles 6’3” or less (my vehicle did not fit.) The closest enclosed lot was on the other side of the market and it’s rates were comparable to other lots in the area. No one else had the in/out policy so I spent over $50 in parking for one nights stay. If you are in the garage less than two hours you can purchase any item at the market next door for $10 or more and get your ticket stamped. This will reduce your $23 bill to $2. It only works though if your under a two hour stay.

For the total cost of $74 through [--] (bid your own price) it was a good value compared to similar hotels asking $150 or more (with the same parking fees.) The lobby and room were updated and clean. The location of the hotel was central to museums and front street restaurants. It was also next to the convention center, a large shopping mall. The subway entrance was on the next block.

Check-in service was perfect and the rooms air conditioner had been turned on for our arrival. The bed was comfortable but the pillows slightly uncomfortable. For as nice as this hotel was I was a little surprised about the pillows and the feather/down comforter which didn’t seem to look or feel right. There were no sounds to keep us awake. Our room was on the Market side. We did not eat or stay at the hotel other than to sleep so I do not know how the restaurant was. Try the crepes for breakfast in the market. Excellant!

In summary, I would stay again if there wasn’t a parking issue. It sort of put a damper on the great rate.

1  Thank Helpnu
Reviewed July 20, 2006

I got this hotel on priceline for $64, and I was nervous about some of the reviews I got here.

Honestly, I can't believe we all stayed at the same hotel.

The location could not have been better. We were right in the center of town, and we were directly above Reading Terminal Market. This put breakfast at the Down Home Diner and lunch from the AMAZING food vendors in the market just a few hundred feet from our hotel room.

The surrounding area is not bad at all. Given, the Greyhound Terminal is pretty shady, but easily avoided. Walk east on Arch Street and see Chinatown. Walk east on Market and see the Historic district. Walk west on Market and see City Hall. All of these are within just a few blocks. Heck, walk everywhere. We came home at 11pm, and didn't feel uncomfortable in the least. It is a city, and you have to be mindful, but the area really is fine.

The hotel itself was clean and well-maintained. The staff was friendly. The hotel is now all non-smoking, but some of the rooms have been renovated yet. We got a 2-double room with a pull out single sofa - perfect for our family of five. We had a coffeemaker, a small fridge and a microwave. Neutrogena toiletries.

Two complaints - I HATE the smell of smoke, and there was a faint smell of it in our room...but it wasn't too bad.

The maid didn't make up the pull-out, but left sheets on the sofa for us...no biggie, but probably a service I would expect.

The lobby was fine - smallish, marble floors, clean, but kind of cold-feeling.

The pool was nice for our kids - about what what you'd expect in a Hilton.

The hotel's clientel was mostly well-dressed business people and a few families. All seemed happy and friendly.

The staff was great. One maintenance man remembered us from day to day and asked about the activities we were doing. The maids said good morning when greeted. The front desk was friendly. Check in took about ten minutes for three guests which seemed like forever at 10:30 pm, but no biggie.

I would have expected to pay well over $100 for this hotel in a city center. I was thrilled to get it at $64.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank moyoma
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I used Priceline to find an inexpensive hotel in the City Center as I would only be staying for one night. I got a great rate and was very pleased to see it was for a Hilton.

Everything about my room looked and smelled new. The king bed was wonderfully comfortable with lots of pillows. There were plenty of towels in the spotless bathroom. Internet Access, whether wifi or connected, was FREE! This was great for me as I was able to get caught up on e-mails from my laptop while there.

The front desk staff were all very courteous and helpful. Sunday morning the fire alarms went off - It was obvious the staff had rehearsed what to do in this situation as they were highly visible in directing guests to the exits and then quickly informing us that it was a false alarm and assisting us back to our rooms. They made what could have been a very bad situation, little more than a minor inconvenience.

My only (very minor) complaint is that the pool area was very crowded and LOUD, some noise buffers would have helped.

I would stay here again and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank bvh520
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Priceline users relax - this hotel is not as bad as all of the terrible reviews would suggest. I won this bid (for $65.00) and immediately freaked out when I read the reviews. I have found tripadvisor to be pretty accurate and was sure I had made a bad decision by using Priceline for this trip. I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel to be perfectly fine. It is exactly what I would expect from a Hilton Garden - clean room and hotel, basic ammenities, not fabulous service but sufficient. We came to see the historical sites and the Reading Market and the hotel was a perfect location. As of July 1st, the hotel is completely non-smoking. All of the smoking rooms underwent renovations including carpet, bedding, curtains etc. Maybe we just got lucky and got one of those rooms, but we had no complaints. Honestly, I'm pretty particular about hotels and this one is fine.

• Stayed: July 2006