WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Washington, United States
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Staff was very helpful, rooms were clean, and beds were comfortable. I would stay here again! Only issue we had was we were in a handicapped room. The shower head for the bathtub would not stay towards the top making it difficult to shower. besides that great location, rooms, and staff!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Was in town for a three day conference, stayed two nights. Booked four months ahead with conference discount. Hotel is just a block and a half away from conference center main entrance. As my days were long and schedule packed l especially enjoyed being able to pop up to my hotel room during breaks, rest and drop off or pick up paper work and materials. I did not intend to spend time and money on restaurant dining so it was super convenient to have coffee maker, fridge, microwave (all impeccably clean) in the room. With Reading Terminal Market next door I was all set food wise.

In terms of location safety, busy area during the day, occasionally one would see some shady characters and harmless homeless people at night. I'm a New Yorker so that does not affect me as much as it might someone who is not used to a mixed environment in regard to social class.

Because of time restraint I was not able to avail myself of GYM or pool, so I can't comment on that. Hallways a tad worn in places just as a note for folks who are picky about that kind of thing. Room/bathroom seemed fairly recently decorated and furnished, spacious, very clean, well kept. Loved the crisp bed linen. Large desk a plus. Staff friendly, polite and very accommodating. Lobby furnished with arm chairs, couches and a large table, great for meetings.

Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room and was assigned one facing the courtyard parking lot. It only had a few ca...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Here_there11
Jeff S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We are glad that your three day conference was as enjoyable and convenient as it was. We all thank you for recognizing our friendly and accommodating team as well as our recently renovated lobby area. We look forward to you returning again soon.
Naperville, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was in Philadelphia on business and my host recommended staying at this city center hotel. It was a short cab ride to my meetings, and it worked out really well. The price was right and the location was great.

The hotel is adjacent to the Pennsylvania Convention Center and the Reading Terminal Market. The physical hotel building is a parking garage for the first several floors, then the higher floors are the rooms. I was on the top floor, the 10th floor. I had a nice view of the city, a large room with a king sized bed. A flatscreen TV, refrigerator, microwave, shower/bath, a generous air conditioner and free WIFI that worked well.

The lobby had a nice space for meeting people, a business center, and a Hilton-typical snack and supply store. I liked the complementary cookies, the paper bag with bottles of water and treats, and the friendly people behind the front desk. I arrived early and they made an extra effort to make me comfortable until my room was ready.

The hotel is just north of the Market East SEPTA transit station. I took the SEPTA train from the airport and it dropped me off one block away from the hotel -- the train ride was 20 minutes, and I had to wait less than 10. It was a short, easy walk from the station to the hotel. Be sure to note: the entrance to the hotel is on the corner of Arch and 11th streets, underneath a covered road. When leaving the station, I followed the signs to the convention center. The hotel sign is up very high on the side of the convention center, not at street level (yes, I walked right passed it the first time around).

After my meetings, I was able to go for a nice walk through the city center. I walked from the nearby City Hall building, all the way up to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Then later, after dinner, I walked east past Independance Hall, the Liberty Bell and Christ Church toward Penn Landing on the Delaware River. The hotel is an easy walk to many historic places (I mean really historic places!).

2 Thank jkozik
Darien,CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

GOOD:
Very clean
Everything seems pretty new
Staff friendly
Nice heated pool/gym area
Next to Reading Terminal Market
Walk to Chinatown or Historic district
2 free bottles of water
Cookies at check-in

BAD:
Beds very uncomfortable
Elevators not secured by key card to get to guest floors
Lobby open to anyone off street- while waiting for my husband a man walked in and started begging me for money, then sat down on sofa next to another guest who was reading and started begging her for money.
I notified front desk who said they would call security.
$36 to self park in garage next door

Would I stay here again?? I'm not sure...
It's convenient to Convention Ctr and other sites but not sure if the deal I got justifies the unsafe feeling I had all night worrying about anyone having access to guest floors and being pestered in the lobby.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are glad you had the opportunity to be our guest and share your experience. It is nice to see that our team was friendly and everything was very clean and that our location was convenient for your visit. We understand your concerns about downtown parking. Our hotel is considered very safe and is central to downtown and all that our city has to offer. Please let us know which room you were in so can have our maintenance team follow up and make the necessary repairs. We hope that do try us again so we can offer an even better experience.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel was clean and service was excellent. Everybody was very friendly and went out of the way to help us. Hotel was close to many shops - Macy's especially. We were also close to Hard Rock Cafe, which was a treat. We were especially close to Chinatown, but food in Philadelphia was generally very good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

We are glad that you chose to spend your first time in Philadelphia at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. We will certainly make sure to share your wonderful comments with our team as everyone works very hard to leave such positive impressions. We are glad that we were convenient to your travels and that our team was excellent.
Los Aneles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel was walking distance to historical sites, and conveniently next door to the Reading Terminal Market "glutton's paradise" (you have to go to the ultra-good and ultra-cheap Down Home Diner for breakfast). The Independence Hall was a splendor to look at-get your tour tickets online ahead of time-we got shut out! The Liberty Bell was ruined by excessive "political correctness" and only seemed to salute the women's/civil rights leaders of the 20th century-huh? Philadelphia was not attractive overall with few "tourist magnets" besides the obvious historical landmarks. We took WONDERFUL side trips to the Lancaster Amish country and Gettysburg-I recommend both terrific trips to all! The hotel rooms were very spacious, sparkling clean and comfortable-not much of a view, however. The pool and Jacuzzi were unusually pleasant . The parking at $36 was as expected! The breakfast buffet was terrific, but not a "freebie" for Hilton Hhonors guests as in other cities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Friendly and professional staff. Hotel has been updated, so rooms were quite good except for terrible beds. Very soft and uncomfortable, almost felt like an inflatable bed!!

Wanted to try the restaurant in the evening, but it was closed for a wedding and didn't fancy sitting in a small conference room to the side. So dinner was a trip over the road to Wawa's.

Next to Reading Market which is great for food lovers, but closes at 6pm.

Probably wouldn't recommend it just because of the beds. If this doesn't bother you, it's a clean, central and reasonably located hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeff S, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Lesley T,
Thank you for your feedback and for recognizing our friendly and professional team. We are sorry that we had to relocate our restaurant the evening you were with us and wish you had taken the opportunity to experience our menu as we are sure you have enjoyed your dinner. If you have an opportunity to let me know your room number so we can have our maintenance team make the necessary repairs to the adjustable bed that would be wonderful. We look forward to hearing back from you.