“No Parking”

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #39 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Stayed here with family on points in the midst of a huge tradeshow (Interphex). It is an awesome location: right next door to Reading Terminal Market, Chinatown, and an easy walk to the historical sites. Problems started when I arrived: the hotel doesn't have a parking lot, it has some relationship with the public lot next door. As a result, all parking was full and I had to park two blocks away, in another public lot. The parking lot attendant didn't know there was another door to the hotel where I could have dropped off bags. The hotel has no bellhops, so you have to drop your bags, park, then come back and carry the (unsecured) luggage to your room. This would never be an issue when I travel on business, but was a significant problem travelling with kids. Nice room with flat screen TV. Requested an additional towel at front desk, they promised to send one up, it never arrived. Attractive but shallow pool and decent-sized hot tub adjacent to fitness room were each appropriate temperature. Washers and dryers available. Pricey restaurant on 10th floor, but excellent food in town a short walk away.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank McHenryDad
Write a ReviewReviews (2,052)

Reviewed March 25, 2008

You can scroll thru the places I have stayed and see that I am classified as a wordly traveler. Let me say that not to many hotels have a classification like this. The attention to detail is second to none. The second you walk thru the door you are greeted by professionalism in it's finest form, from the front desk to the Concierge. when you make it to your room you will find the most up to date amenities (don't miss the side of the bed has a dial that makes the bed firm or soft). The room is as comfortable as your own. I could not find a " Con" only "Pro's". Don't miss around the block almost under the hotel is a market place where you can find some of the greatest home cooked meals, fresh squeezed Orange Juice, etc. If you choose this hotel I promise nothing but "Kudos". Less than 15 minutes from the train station, across the street from the bus terminal. Can't be more centraly located.

1  Thank Pete S
Reviewed March 25, 2008

We had the opportunity to stay at this Hilton Garden Inn while visiting we were visiting colleges. From the moment we stepped into the lobby, we were very pleased. The front desk staff was warm and welcoming and offered superior check in service to even many of the higher priced chains. We were offered and upgrade to a junior suite without any prompting, which was wonderful. The room was fabulous. We also enjoyed the 10th floor dining lounge. While the surrounding blocks are a bit congested, this facility is in walking distance to see much of Center City. I would certainly recommend this facility.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank jacobsmw
Reviewed March 8, 2008

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel through Priceline for a weekend trip to Philadelphia. Upon our arrival, the front desk agent upgraded us to a junior suite. The room was spacious, with two flat screen TVs and a king size bed. However, the decor could use some updating.

The hotel is located in a fairly good area. Philadelphia's Chinatown is within walking distance to many of the sites, namely Independence Hall. There's also a fantastic, extensive market nearby, which showcases everything from candles to baked goods to spices. That said, I think one could find better located hotels. Being from a city myself and accompanied by my boyfriend, I felt relatively safe, but a family might find themselves more comfortable in Rittenhouse Square, especially during the evenings.

Staff was relatively friendly, but not outstanding. I enjoyed the free breakfast at the 10th Floor Grill.

3  Thank CityGirl610
Reviewed March 1, 2008

My best friend and I stayed here for one night while we were hanging out downtown. (We're from NE Philly.) The hotel was very nice and the price I got on Priceline was fantastic ($64 plus tax for a Saturday night!) The room was spacious and included a refrigerrator and microwave! The only problem was that while we were out at a bar down the street for a couple hours, someone got shot on our floor of the hotel. When we came back to the hotel, there was crime scene tape in the lobby and blood everywhere. Not a pretty sight. I still don't know for sure what happened, but the hotel staff were pretty good about the whole thing. They led us to our room. But the whole thing was a bit disconcerting.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank lishi8983
Reviewed February 28, 2008

We know the city fairly well, but had yet to stay at this hotel. The location was perfect for the few activities we had planned on our "mini-vacation." And anything that close to Reading Terminal Market is a pleasure!
We were pleasantly surprised by the amenities. The furniture was very nice, however one half of the "adjustable" bed was out-of-order. The other half was very comfy! The closets and drawer space were ample for two people. The bathroom fixtures and granite countertop were really nice, but I think it could've benefitted from a magnifying shaving mirror. One luxury I was happy to see was a curved shower rod. We're going to buy one for our own home now! The large-screen digital TV was a nice touch, but pretty pointless without digital cable service and only 10 available channels.
We didn't have a lot of interaction with staff, but check-in was easy enough, and check-out was over in a flash!
All in all, I would definitely recomment this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in an affordable place close to Chinatown, Reading Terminal Market, the historic district, museums, concert venues, and all of the major subway lines!

3  Thank FlyerPhan
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We were traveling with two young children for two nights. We had a junior suite with two flat screen TV's which was nice. The room was very clean. The hotel was centrally located for our purposes, but we ended up using taxi's which were reasonably priced.

The indoor pool was fine but the area could use some sprucing up.

The beds were small for two adults, but comfortable when alone.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family