“Uncomfy bed”

Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City
Ranked #39 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I spent one night here in March. The rooms seemed like they could use sprucing up - not typical to other HGI's I stayed at. The room price was in line with other rates in the city that I looked at. I was not able to adjust my bed whatsoever so it was a rather uncomfortable nights sleep.

I had dinner upstairs at the 10th floor restaurant which was average. I just had a turkey burger with sweet potatoe fries. Service was good.

I needed a cab to take me to the 30th St. Train station the next morning but none were to be found. I had to wait while the bellman tracked one down.

Front lobby staff was very pleasant and did help ship a package via FedEx for me.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,085)

Reviewed March 23, 2012

If this hotel wasn't across the street from the Convention Center, I would not have booked it to spend one night going to the Philadelphia Flower Show and have dinner with friends. We stayed here once before a few years ago and it was fine. This time it was a little less than fine.

As others have mentioned, parking is a bit of a project. You park in a commercial parking lot next door to the hotel, and for events like the flower show, it can be packed. My biggest issue with the lot is that it's quite confusing. For example, we noted our section of the lot and what floor our car was on, but when we went to retrieve our car and got off on the correct floor, we were in the red section instead of the blue section, but couldn't figure out how to get to the blue section! We walked around and ended up walking to a different elevator to find it.

The hotel itself is a bit dated in decor and in the condition of some of the furnishings, but it's comfortable enough. The staff is always friendly, the room comes with a mini-fridge, and the location is perfect for Convention Center stuff. We didn't have very much time for this trip, so we basically dropped our bags off in the room and headed out for the night. Upon returning we discovered that a bedside lamp wouldn't turn on for 10 minutes, the duvet cover had black lint on it, and, most importantly, once we crawled into bed the strong, sickening odor of cigarette smoke wafted in. This is a non-smoking hotel. We called the front desk and they said that even though it's non-smoking "people do what they want to do," but said they'd send security to roam the halls and try and discover the source of the smoke. I mentioned that this is quite a problem as my husband has asthma. In the meantime they suggested we close our bathroom door. I have to say, it has been a very long time since cigarette smoke was an issue in a hotel room.

The next morning we found an apology note with some breakfast coupons and a promise of awarding us a small amount of Hilton Hhonors points (1000, I believe). The gesture was appreciated, but we didn't feel great. Upon checkout we mentioned the lamp and the duvet and also the cigarette smoke, and one of the attendants who was nearby took it upon herself to credit our bill by $50 -- we really were happy that she was listening as the young man who was checking us out was just noting our complaints but didn't offer anything. I have to note here that although we were given some points and a bit off our bill, we've had hotels (including Hilton family hotels) offer more in compensation for lesser problems, but we did not ask for more.

Once home we got an email from the manager, asking about our experience. I basically wrote him a version of this review, and he thanked me and said the comments would be discussed with his staff and he was glad we were compensated.

This hotel is next door to Reading Terminal Market, across from the convention center, and walkable to many Center City restaurants, so its location is its best feature. However, I think next time we'll go with a better hotel that isn't as conveniently located.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

The only reason I don't give this hotel 5/5 is that the parking situation is not ideal. They share a parking lot with the Philadelphia Convention Center so if you are staying in the hotel while a convention is going on, be prepared to wait in line for a long time to find a spot. My husband and I went for a night away (we live in PA), and spent a long time trying to get a parking spot. Part of me understands that's the nature of the beast, staying in a city. On the other hand, they could have reserved a certain floor of the garage for hotel guests (instead of having you pay the additional fee) and had additional access points so you don't have to sit in lines with convention traffic. No biggie though, just be warned!

Other than that, great location, great hotel, clean, courteous staff, nice hotel!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

At first, I thought nabbing a room at this Hilton on priceline was a dream. The hotel is perfectly located, cozy, and nice. The room comes equipped with a microwave, flat panel TV, and fridge. The city view is great. But that's where the fun stops.

I was here for 3 nights and could barely get any sleep. The rooms are poorly insulated, so I could hear all of the goings-on in the busy street below. Because the hotel is mere steps away from a major train station, the noise was disturbing. I had major business to do in the area, so I needed sleep (more than 4-5 hours, of course). For some reason, the hotel staff thought it'd be a brilliant idea to put a young, single female in a room that had an adjoining door to the room adjacent. The door, flimsy as it was, allowed for all of the minute noise to filter into my room (even something little as rustling papers!). I'm a heavy sleeper, in general. When I alerted the front desk about these issues, after the first night of almost no sleep, they simply sent up earplugs; I requested to be moved to another room, and they denied me. I also have severe mold allergies, and there were spots of red mold growing on the shower curtain. Did I mention the trash on the floor? Two crumpled water bottles lay in the corner, and the nightstand was full of dust.

In short: book elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
HGIPhillyGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear weltwanderlust,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel.

I am so sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us. It is our goal to make sure you have the most exceptional guest experience possible. Please consider staying with us again. I am confident we can make your stay one of the best you’ve ever experienced.

Please think about giving us another try on your next visit to Philadelphia. We’d like another chance to dazzle you! If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I was in the city for business and the location of this hotel was great. It was within walking distance of many restaurants, shopping, etc. The rooms were decent, but a bit loud at night since it's a popular area. The hotel bar has a great view and all of the staff were extremely friendly. Overall, the hotel was okay for business, but I wouldn't stay here for personal travel.

Dear mauionmymind08,

Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. It was indeed our pleasure to host you and your satisfaction, feedback and business are very important to us.

We would love the opportunity to have you as our guest once again whether it would be for business or a pleasure trip to Philadelphia. Please give us an opportunity to show you the service and amenities that we are very proud of here.

Again, thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel and it will be my pleasure to assist you. On behalf of the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City family, we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Very well located, right by the conference center, and reading terminal, 7 minute walk from the Comcast building.
You can walk down Arch street down Ben Franklin to the water front passing the museum, aka the Rocky stairs.
Ok for a business trip, but would take a higher rated establishment for private travel.
Friendly staff though.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Moshe L

Dear Moshe L,

Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. It was indeed our pleasure to host you and your business is very important to us.

We would love the opportunity to have you as our guest once again. Please think about giving us another try on your next visit to Philadelphia. We’d like another chance to dazzle you!

Again, thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel) and it will be my pleasure to assist you. On behalf of the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City family, we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Wow, very impressed. First time staying at this hotel and first time ever creating a review. The Front Desk Team encouraged me to share my experience. Stayed at the hotel to see a recent concert and felt like I was royalty. Really enjoyed the comforts of our room, the breakfast experience, and location. When back in the area, will be sure to stay again and will be sure to recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LuvSTL1978

Thank you for allowing us to host your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia Center City. It was indeed our pleasure to host you and your satisfaction, feedback and business are very important to us.

I want to thank you for the feedback you provided on this website regarding your experience at our hotel. As General Manager, your comments and feedback are very important to us as we use them to commend our associates that have gone above and beyond in providing exceptional service to our guests. The feedback also inspires the entire team to ensure that we exceed our guest’s expectations. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your review/comments with our entire hotel team.