All reviews historic sights across the street great location couch tv guests
Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

I loved the atmosphere here. The people that work here are very helpful and friendly, they coordinate interesting activities and the facilities in general are very comfortable. The location, not just that it's in Old City but just across the street from Christchurch and so close to all of the historic sights and so many different restaurants nearby and a train station just around the corner. It's the perfect location to explore the City of Brotherly Love.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2017

This is a place I would come back to stay at if I ever find myself in Philadelphia again. It's somewhere in my top 10 hostels that I've ever stayed at for a couple of reasons:

1. Good location - it's walking distance to historical attractions, to the waterfront, and it's close to a cool coffeeshop called Cafe Ole. (P.S. The US Mint is also super close, so check that out as well!)

2. Friendly staff - I love the staff at this hostel. They're professional but also friendly. I had a lot of fun chatting with Ali and Leah. Leah played cards with me & other hostelers in the kitchen, while Ali was able to recommend a great coffee shop where I could do some work for the day! It's always refreshing to deal with staff who are genuine and want to entertain their guests.

3. Clean - As far as hostels go, this one is pretty tidy. Part of that is probably because you're not allowed to take your shoes in. So be prepared to walk around barefoot, or if you bring some indoor slippers then you can use those. It's not a hotel, so it's not immaculate, but I don't really have any complaints.

4. Non-squeaky bunkbeds - If you've stayed at hostels before, you've probably slept on squeaky bunkbeds. Those don't exist at this hostel. That's not to say the bunkbeds are quiet. Of course, you'll be able to hear when people roll around on their mattress. But the beds don't squeak!

5. Lots of things to do indoors - If you feel like staying in (if it's raining, for example) there's a TV, a Wii, books, a guitar, a couch, games, all right next to the kitchen. The common area is a fun place to hang out.

As a side note, if you're introverted, this is a nice hostel to go to. It's a bit more low key, but it's still super easy to chat with people and make new friends. There's another City House Hostel within walking distance that's ideal if you like an environment that's a bit more upbeat and buzzing.

Overall, I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for a fun, budget-friendly place to stay in Philadelphia.

Date of stay: August 2017
Reviewed July 13, 2017 via mobile

Really good hostel, easy to find, really close to a subway station, really friendly staff, great kitchen, good big rooms with nice bathrooms and really good location close to good pubs and restaurants

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2017

The hostel's location is great - just a few minutes away from the historic sights of Philadelphia. The hostel has comfortable beds, is clean and has a large kitchen and lounge if you want to cook and/or chill out. However, I found this hostel really noisy. This was partially due to the lack of soundproofing between walls - I wasn't disturbed by people in my room, but those in the adjoining ones. Additionally, staff members on the welcome desk frequently played loud music. There are meant to be quiet hours, but I could hear staff members talking very loudly directly outside my room in the early hours of the morning despite wearing earplugs. More consideration for guests would be appreciated, along with looking at how rooms could be better soundproofed (I didn't have this issue in any of the other hostels I stayed in on my 3 week trip).

Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed April 27, 2017

I was in Philadelphia for the NFL Draft and I normally stay at the Apple Hostel right down the street but I found this hostel. What a gem! Check in is really easy and the staff is very helpful . I would definitely stay here again

Date of stay: April 2017