“Very comfortable stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Oakton, Virginia
“Very comfortable stay”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I travel a lot on business and found the Sofitel to be a very comfortable hotel. We booked a Prestige suite. The rate for the room was decent as we got four nights for the price of three in a special offer. There was a double door to get to the suite. We appreciated the added security and quiet. The room was great for the three of us. The staff quickly made up the sofa bed in the living room for our son, and they set it up each night when they came for turn down service. The room was very, very clean. Everyone was friendly. There was very little outside or inside noise. We all got great rest. The location is great for walking or driving around the city. We felt safe in the neighborhood.

DiBruno Bros is around the corner for groceries and snacks. Paulino's Coal Oven Pizza is nearby - very good, large portions, inexpensive. The Belgian Waffle place down the block on 17th is good for breakfast and coffee. The French Patisserie a bit further down 17th was not so great.

The only tiny complaints I have were that the air handler was a bit loud (we just turned it off at night and the room was fine), we did have to call to ask for more soap and shampoo (more was delivered in minutes), and when I went to connect to the internet there was a charge even though the reservation said it was complementary - this was quickly rectified by the front desk staff who explained that there would be no charge on the final bill (and this was correct). Cost of parking was a bit steep at $30 a night plus the local valet tax and tips, but it's a city and that is typical.

We were very pleased with our stay at the Sofitel Philadelphia, and will likely return in the future.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Freebeer12
littlepeanut58, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments!

I am very pleased you enjoyed our accommodations as well as the surrounding areas.

We do look forward to serving you again in the future.

Vincent Vienne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We had a great time last year for my birthday so I suggested we go again this year. It was a totally different experience. At check in the girl acted like she did not have our reservation, she had to go to the back and get someone and finally after 10 minutes they figured it out. We got to the room and it had a pretty bad view of a parking lot. The kicker was that every time someone from the upstairs flushed their toliet it made a super loud rushing water sound for about 15/20 minutes...this happend over and over and over again...I wanted to change rooms but hubby said it was not worth the effort of unpacking/ repacking again. They brought up a desert tray again which was nice...but the super annoying sounds coming from the pipes was enough for us to never come back. On top of that the couple upstairs from us was up having sex from 4am-6am (they must have been on drugs or something) and we could hear EVERYTHING through the walls. I will give it an average for the fact that it is very clean and the service (besides check in) was good. I will not be going back ever again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies that you were disturbed by a disruptive noise in the pipes. I have alerted our engineering team to investigate.

I do wish you would give us another opportunity to serve you better in the future.

NC
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We wanted a location midway between University City and Old City. Sofitel was perfect. We like to walk and 20 min in either direction got us where we wanted to be, to visit universities or the historic sites. We got an excellent Easter weekend price that was advertised briefly on the Fodor's website of $111/night for 3 people in a room with 2 double beds, that included breakfast for 2. The staff was friendly, beds very comfortable and breakfast with strong french pressed coffee was very good. The room had a modern European decor that we really liked.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
littlepeanut58, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
Bonjour,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding our property. I am so pleased you enjoyed our staff and accommodations.

We are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

New York
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Everything was great except the following:
1. Our room's air conditioning (when running) was fairly loud and annoying.
2. The doors to the rooms are very heavy and so when they close automatically, they slam very loudly. Clearly audible from inside your room when others close there doors.
3. Could hear a good amount of noise from other guests in the hallways while in the rooms.

Service was great, bar was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us.

Please accept my apologies that your air vents were noisy and disturbing. We have alerted our engineering team to investigate. I am pleased that you enjoyed the service of our staff and our La Bourse Bar.

We look forward to serving you again soon.

Ocean County, NJ
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I consider myself a fussy person when it comes to hotels and this is the first time I have taken the time to rate one.. Firstly, we arrived on a Thursday of Easter weekend, at 12:00, and got right into our room. I also noticed the beautiful flowers in the lobby. Secondly, the room was beautifully decorated and bright. At night, we stopped in the bar. It was extremely comfortable and attractive and the service was great. Fresh trays of olive and cheddar crackers were served if you just having a drink. We also sampled a cheese platter. It was delicious. The elevators are recessed and lead into an archway before you reach the rooms, therefore, eliminating that ringing elevator noise. The bedroom is also recessed behind the bathroom which helps eliminate noise. And best of all, the heating system was silent! The white duvet covers are changed for every guest. The bed was soft and comfy. I loved sinking into it. The bathroom was marble with french wood and glass doors leading in. The ammenities were generous and the towels were large. We enjoyed the restaurant for breakfast. I ordered a bowl of mixed berries. It was a generous portion, enough for two. Then I had granola on plain yogurt. It was very good. The French pressed decaf coffee was excellent and didn't make us jumpy afterward. It was a great experience and I wished I could have stayed longer to enjoy the city of Philadelphia!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bonjour,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much! I will share your kind comments with my team.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Long Island, NY
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I stayed at the Sofitel for 2 nights this weekend. The hotel was fabulous. Everything was clean and modern. The employee's were friendly, the breakfast was excellent. My only issue was that I booked an upgrade to a suite and when I got there I was told none were available so I got free parking instead. I would have prefered the suite I booked... But I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank briny319
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Having to work and commute to Philly every week, I have had the opportunity to try a few different hotels in the area. The Sofitel is without a doubt the best place to stay regardless of the reason for your visit.

The first time I stayed at this hotel I noticed how friendly and helpful the staff at the Sofitel was. Due to my unpredictable work schedule, they have always been extremely accommodating and go out of their way when I need to make last minute changes. There is always someone waiting in the lobby with a smile on their face waiting to assist with any need, question or request.

The rooms (both standard and suites) are always clean, spacious, beautifully decorated and incredibly comfortable. I get a better nights sleep at this hotel then I do in my own bed!

One of my favorite part about the Sofitel is that they are more than just a "pet friendly" hotel. Whenever I arrive, my dog is just as excited as I am. Everyone knows his name and when he is lucky, the concierge will even have special treats waiting for him. Also, the location is not just great for shopping in Philly but for dog walks as well... Rittenhouse Square is right around the corner. :)

I am lucky enough to call the Sofitel Philadelphia my second home and would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Philly!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sfriedman22
littlepeanut58, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2010
Bonjour,

Thank you so much for your glowing comments regarding our property. I will share them with my team!

It is a sincere pleasure in serving you...and your dog whenever you stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the future.