“Excellent service made our anniversary trip a wonderful experience!”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Excellent service made our anniversary trip a wonderful experience!”
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We had the most amazing annniversary trip - booked online in advance, got great rate. Director of Guest Services (Suzanne Pasi) upgraded us to a junior suite when she learned it was out anniversary, and concierge was extremely knowledgable about the sites, with great recommendation for dinner (Jose Garce's "Chifa") and made reservations for us. Everything was very comfortable and clean. First night, complimentary dessert sent to our room with a card wishing us a happy anniversary - you just don't get customer service like this anywhere else!! Only very minor complaint was that they charge for WiFi - day pass only for $8 - $10. If guests only need 1 hr of internet time, doesn't make sense to buy day pass. On top of that, most hotels offer free WiFi now. Oh - and an in-room movie will cost you $14 - $15. Beyond the prices set for some of these ammenities, the customer care and service was amazing, and would definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mh_traveler
agathef, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
Bonjour,

Thank you so much for all of your comments about your stay. I am so pleased you enjoyed our accommodations!

I wish you many more anniversaries and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards,

Vincent Vienne
Sofitel Philadelphia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed November 24, 2009

Sofitel is in a great location / downtown which allowed us to walk around the city without catching a taxi. The rooms and bathroom were large and comfortable. The staff were friendly. The complaint we have is that you have to pay for Wifi Internet connection. We believe the cost to stay at the Sofitel should include WiFi...
It's quite a bit from the Historical walking tour.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed November 7, 2009

We recently stayed at Sofitel for a week and I'm not sure what the fuss is about. The rooms were not very clean. For the price you expect clean and dust free. We had smutz (combo of hair & dirt) on the tub for the first 5 days, even with a nice note requesting to PLEASE clean the tub. When my husband picked up the remote off the speaker you could clearly see the inch of dust covering the speaker due to the clean spot where the remote was. The room was vacuumed twice at most. The table in the hall by the elevator had what looked like a sticky, blood smear on it which stayed there our entire stay. There were exactly 3 friendly & hospitable employees, the female concierge, the bartender Elyn and Mustafa the bellhop. The rest of the employees attitudes were not the best. Please don't assume that's due to it being a french hotel. I've been to France and people are not that unpleasant. There were items missing from the minibar on our first day. The food was was good some days, other days not so much. Some days you got turn down service with water bottles other days you didn't. Some days the toiletries were replenished, other days they weren't. The room decor is OK, but the view from our room was fantastic. When we checked out there were several room service charges we didn't order. There was also a telephone charge. Since we only use our cell phones while at a hotel we now know what the maid was doing while supposedly dusting our room.

Overall we were not impressed. Service is inconsistent, cleanliness poor and price high. My suggestion for the money Hotel Palomar or Rittenhouse are worth it.

1 Thank MakeupMamma
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I love this hotel. Great location near Rittenhouse, rooms are very big, modern and well-appointed. Bathrooms big. Staff great. Have stayed at Omni, new Kimpton and Four Seasons and think the Sofitel is the best value out of all of them and will continue to pick this hotel.

One nice thing, on one stay there was no soap in the room - not a big deal, but mentioned it in a reply email after my stay. The GM emailed me right back apologizing for the soap! I thought it was a nice touch to get a reply on something so minor. :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatViccer
littlepeanut58, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2009
Bonjour,

Thank you for your great comments!

When our guests return time after time, it really makes us feel special. Your business is quite valuable to us and we look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Best personal regards,

Vincent Vienne
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I reserved 5 nights here for a business meeting. I called the hotel directly in advance to change my arrival date from Friday to Saturday. They confirmed the change (Lie #1). It was easily confirmed (I thought). When I arrived on Saturday they told me that I had no room, as I was booked to arrive on Friday for one night only, and since I was a no show they had no room for me!! They seemed fixated on getting the name of the staff member who changed my reservation which I unfortunately I didn't recall ( I think they were looking for someone to blame, because they didn't believe me). I had to have my husband call and yell to get me a room as I stood there with all my luggage in the lobby and my first meeting in 1 hour.

So, they did manage to get me a room but it was a horrendously polluted smoking room. I should have known that since this is a European chain, and this attracts non-Americans with heavy smoking habits. I complained and the housekeeping staff came to "take care of it" which meant spraying copious and nauseating amounts of perfume in the room. I couldn't sleep because the overpowering smell kept waking me and gave me a headache. I had the manager then come to the room and he deemed it "not bad". Really? Then let him sleep there. At the Sofitel the customer is NOT right, the manager is...

The manager told me that it wasn't a smoking room because they didn't have any smoking rooms at this hotel (Lie #2). I left my cell number and email address with the front desk to contact me immediately as soon as something else became available. They never called. I wanted to change hotels but with a conference in town all were sold out and I was trapped.

In order to get my room changed, after they told me there were no rooms available (after a second night in the polluted room), I asked if they had anyone checking in , and they said yes, two arrivals coming. I said great then guess what? You will give me one of their rooms. I had to force this with the ungracious staff. When I arrived for the change, the front desk woman, Nita, told me that she had been trying to contact me about the room change (Lie #3). I never received any messages or emails. I pointed this out to her and she just became silent and lowered her eyes.

When the bellman came to change my room I noted the smell as the reason to change. I told him that I was told this was a non-smoking room and he looked at me directly and said "no ma'am, this IS a smoking room".

The room they moved me to was fine and did not stink. To be fair the bed was comfortable and the bellman and doormen were polite.

But the service from the manager on duty and the front desk staff was appaling. I have stayed at roadside motels and Holiday Inns with infintely more gracious staff. I was completely shocked . I travel for business frequently and this was my first and last time at a Sofitel. There are too many other nice places to go.

The staff never asked me once if there was anything they could do to make me happier or more comfortable after all the trouble. And they just glared at me every time I walked past the front desk.

And the "Bonjour" greeting - really is this necessary? It's just pretentious and especially weird when followed by converstaion with a Philly accent.

6 Thank travelgirl613
Williamstown NJ
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I recently stayed at the Sofitel Philadelphia for the umpteenth time. I am a regular and havd to say that each stay is uniquely fabulous. My company has a rate for us there, I feel like a member of the team. Everyone knows me by name and knows my likes and dislikes. The location is great since I can walk to my office. I used the new complimentary car service which is a London Taxi. It was very conveniant in the rain the other day.
I commend Mr Pesty on behalf of his team and thank you for the warm reception I receive each time..keep up the good work.

Toronto, ON
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Very convenient and accessible location. Very comfortable rooms. Rates can be a tad on the pricey side, but I wouldn't mind paying because it's well worth it. Be sure to add parking to your budget (we paid $30/night, but I imagine that is pretty normal for downtown). Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
littlepeanut58, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Bonjour!

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed the hotel as well as the location.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best personal regards,