“Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
New , NY
Reviewed August 20, 2005

Just returned from a weekend visit to the Sofitel and only have rave reviews. The only reason I haven't given the hotel a 5 star rating is because I believe that rating is to be reserved for a hotel that is untouchable in status and probobaly does not even exist. This hotel had a cool contemporary feel, with an amazingly comfortable bed. The bathroom was one of the largest hotel bathrooms I have ever experienced with a great oversized granite vanity and a glass shower stall. The linens were sheer perfection, making you feel as though you were a celebrity in sheets that were soft and featherbeds and duvets that wrapped you in down. The location could not have been better. The hotel is literally a stone's throw away from the some of the hottest and trendiest rest. and lounges in the area. A quick six dollar cab ride drops you off in the historic area where you can take a tour, walk around or simply enjoy the culture. The hotel is a great value and should definitely be taken advantage of.

By the way, we ate at Alma de Cuba which was awesome, and then went over to the Continental Midtown which is a three story building with a rooftop bar (the only in Philly I was told) and a cool and trendy restar. below. Request to sit on the level with the wicker birdcage swing seats. Trust me it's wonderful. Anyway stay at sofitel it's an all around good time. And I am from NYC so nothing usually pleases me!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

Reviewed August 16, 2005

Sofitel is a great choice in Philadelphia !

The reception and service are both efficient and welcoming.

Room service is prompt and food is good (very good continential breakfast!).

Excellent bedding: feather cover on top of the matress, down pillows, high-quality cotton sheets.

Very nice bathroom and room amenities, including flannel for shining shoes, etc.

Plus: the hotel has a nice quiet atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank triptraveller
Reviewed August 15, 2005

We reserved a suite at the Sofitel with the receptionist at the actual property, because we weren't making a reservation for an average night's stay: this was our wedding night. We were in search of chic luxury. The receptionist assured us that not only would we have a wonderful suite, but flowers would be in the room along with a bottle of champagne. So, after our amazing wedding, we sat back and enjoyed our car ride to the hotel, musing about how we thought the Sofitel was going to be nicer than other, more dated hotels in Philly.

When we arrived, we were coldly greeted by the receptionist who, upon looking at our reservation, muttered "Congratulations" under his breath, then proceeded to tell us that the hotel did not have our suite available. So, we asked for the manager, explained that we had discussed our reservation personally with Sofitel staff with the expressed purpose of avoiding this type of disaster. He was extraordinarily rude and wouldn't even call other hotels in the area to find us another suite. Finally, he turned his back on us and retreated into the other room. The employee at the desk placed us in a small, noisy room in the back of the hotel.

The general manager, in later communication, did compensate us with a free night in a suite. He did salvage the experience, to a very limited degree. But, a hotel of this caliber needs to get it right the first time.

• Stayed: May 2005
10  Thank panzano
Reviewed August 9, 2005

This hotel was one of the choices my company offered in Philly. You never know what you're going to get in any given city, but the Sofitel was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in period. Check in was fast and pleasant and the public areas were very nice. The room, although not large, had a very comfortable bed and great closet space. The bathroom was large and had a separate shower and tub. Everything was clean and modern. As my business ended earlier than expected, I was able to leave a day early and the hotel allowed me to check out at 6pm without charging me for another day or a 1/2 day like many others try to do.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank Jduke13
Reviewed August 7, 2005

returned from a 2-night weekend stay at the Sofitel in Philly - I am a Starwood Gold member, so I normally stay at the Westin (about 2 blocks from the Sofitel), but got a much better room rate at the Sofitel and wanted to try somewhere different and that had rec'd +++ reviews - I definitely agree with the majority that the Sofitel is an EXCELLENT choice in Philly - I could not find fault with any aspect of the hotel - welcome valet was there, polite, and attentive - check in was smooth and courteous - lobby was modern, clean, and attractive - rooms were of good size, spotless, comfy beds, and the A/C did not struggle in the extreme heat/humidity (I like my room on the COLD side) - bartender was friendly and the bar was comfortable and good for relaxing - location is top-notch -
Although the Sofitel is not as opulent as the Westin or Four Seasons, this hotel is clean, attractive, modern, inexpensive, and comfortable - A++++

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Camden, Maine
Reviewed August 4, 2005

One of the reasons I chose this hotel for a 2 day stay in Philly was because of the reviews on this site. The hotel surpassed my expectations. When checking in, the desk clerk was very helpful and was able to change the original alignment of our two rooms so they were on the same floor. The hotel staff was always friendly, the concierge was especially outstanding. The location is terrific, being in the center city area close to Rittenhouse Square. The lounge off the lobby area is inviting. The rooms were very comfortable, the bathroom featured a separate tub and shower and the beds were cozy. They did offer valet parking and like any other city, it's pricey at $30/night, but well worth the service if you are not familiar with driving on the streets of Philadelphia. I would definitely return to this hotel.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Good location right near (not on) Rittenhouse Square. Beautiful interior design. Friendly staff. We booked through gophilly and got a weekend package that was discounted and blew away the price quote we got when calling the hotel directly. ($129 a night vs. $199, if I recall correctly).

• Stayed: May 2005