“A great city stay!”

Sofitel Philadelphia
Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Staff are very friendly and efficient. Room spacious and comfortable. Love the tub and separate shower! Breakfast amazing and delicious, wanted to take chef home with us. Convenient location. Chose to stay here again after previous visit.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear S B,

Our guestroom bathrooms with standing shower and separate soaking tub are certainly a favorite of our guests. I am pleased you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer from accommodations and location to some of our delicacies for breakfast.

We look forward to your return!

Vincent

Write a ReviewReviews (3,358)

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I think the hotel was pretty nice but the arrival was sufficiently difficult that I doubt I'd ever return. I arrived at 11 AM knowing that the rooms might not be ready until 3 PM. Upon arrival, the room was not ready but I was told, repeatedly, that they should have a room ready soon. I checked back often enough that the desk staff knew me by name. 3PM came and went and I finally got into my room at around 6 PM (my meetings started at 3 PM so there was no opportunity to try again until they concluded for the day). Others at the same event had similar experience. The rooms were not ready and there were lines at the desk to find out that, no, the room was not available. It seemed like the front desk was waiting for housekeeping to release the whole hotel at the same time. The experience left me with a sense of poor organization and poor execution. People were nice enough but there were not enough of then and their answers we not very helpful (why not offer to call me when the room was ready? I've had hotels make that offer often enough.)
The room was nice but the TV picture was unwatchable. Why would a hotel invest in HD TVs (there were two) and then transit a snowy analog signal to them on virtually all the available channels?
The bathrooms were large but the shower head was so high I could not adjust it (probably more than 7 feet up on the wall.)
Rooms were well and nicely furnished although the desk was more pretty than functional - why would anyone buy a desk with a handle on the center drawer that prevents you from getting close to the desk to work?
Conference rooms were nice enough. Nothing to complain about but neither anything that is different from many other hotels.
Food was OK for conference food. Again, nothing outstanding but OK.
Prices seemed normal for a city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank mikaamma
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear mikaamma,

I am disappointed that your experience upon arrival did not meet your expectations. Check-in time is at 3:00pm and unfortunately we cannot guarantee a room prior to that. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback, as we are continuously enhancing the services we offer to our guests.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia to indulge in the magnifique experience that is our custom!

Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Sofitel last night for a family wedding (this is the same hotel we stayed at 5 years ago for our own wedding so we had some history and reason to believe we would get good service). While the hotel is nice and clean, the service was horrible. We booked a suite so our toddler could sleep in the living area separate from us. At midnight when we got back from the wedding, we found out that the pull out couch had no sheets on it. We called down to the front desk to ask for sheets. Were told that someone would be right up within 10 min and it would be treated as a priority since I needed to get my two year old in bed. By 12:30 we had to call down again as they still hadn't arrived, finally around 12:40 we received the sheets after being told "something came up". Then this morning when we were trying to leave it took an hour for the valet to locate and bring up our car. The valet service was complete and udder chaos. They had tickets matched with wrong cars, people whose cars were requested later leaving before people who had been waiting a long time, and no information being provided to anyone. Every time we asked about our car, it was "coming". One time around 50 min into our wait one of the attendants apologized and I told them instead of apologizing, get more help and get my car. I was told it was an outside service so there was nothing they could do. I didn't see a hotel manager arrive onto the scene until just as our car arrived and this had been going on for an hour before our wait according to other people waiting. A few people asked if they could go get their cars themselves and they would not allow it. The hotel did not seem to care about all their patrons being held hostage waiting for their cars in the front of the hotel and nothing was offered to anyone as a result of their gross disorganization. Very unprofessional for a "four" star hotel. I will not stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Jennyxobu

Bonjour Jennyxobu,

It is disappointing that your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations, and I am pleased I had the opportunity to communicate directly with you to discuss your concerns.

I hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia soon to experience the exemplary level of service that is our custom!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Within a day, I went from vacation in Paris to business trip in Philadelphia. Ouch. I arrived just after a snow storm, and the Sofitel Philadelphia was warm, welcoming and lovely. Its understated elegance, European flair, and high level of service set a perfect tone. My room on the 11th floor was large, quiet, clean, and nicely decorated. There were enough hangers to easily unpack my suitcase. The bed was a heavenly nest. Even though I was jet-lagged and longing to be in Paris, I slept well during my three-night stay. I often wondered if I were the only person in the hotel since I didn't hear the usual plumbing noises and banging doors so common in hotels. The Sofitel Philadelphia is now my favorite business hotel.
P.S. Best towels...anywhere!

Room Tip: In the higher rooms, you won't even know you are in a city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Deb7111,

It is our pleasure that we were able to provide you with a warm, welcoming, and quiet stay in Philadelphia after your return from Paris! I am also pleased that our specially designed SoBed kept you well-rested and relaxed during your return to business. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Like most Sofitels that we have stayed at, this is an exceptionally comfortable hotel. The room was well-appointed, the bed wonderfully comfortable, and above all, the service was spectacular. Everyone was incredibly helpful. We also had both dinner and a late dessert at the restaurant/bar. The dinner was superb and the late night cheese plate was great. As others have noted, the location is very convenient-we went to the Academy of Music for a concert and it was a very easy walk. This hotel is perfect for an "in town" weekend getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear NFKBNJ,

I am truly pleased that you were able to indulge in our dinner and dessert delicacies offered in Liberte, our urban chic lounge. I thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding our spectacular staff and well-appointed rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an "in town" weekend getaway!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

What a place! There was absolutely nothing that could be faulted at this great hotel. The location is perfect; We parked our car and walked to everything. The room was just right. Every aspect of it was tasty; perfectly comfortable without being overdone. It even had a BOSE sound wave radio, lots of closet space, a big, comfy bed with soft, fluffy linens; and a separate stand-up shower. The staff was perfectly helpful without being oppressive. The view from our room was superb. I could go on and on. Stay here - it's wonderful.

Dear abauma02,

What a lovely 5 star review! I am extremely pleased that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer here during the Philadelphia Flower Show.

Our separate standing shower and Bose radio systems in each of the guest rooms are certainly favorites, along with our Sofitel "SoBed" which has been specially designed to create a luxurious night sleep.

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed March 12, 2014