“history trip to philly”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 14, 2014

great location for shopping. about a 12 block walk to independence park. loved everything about the hotel except the toiletries - they were very masculine. but hey, that's a very small complaint. the service was excellent. breakfast was awesome too - highly recommend the blueberry pancakes.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Christy B,

Our downtown location offers a convenient walk or cab ride to many of the historical sites in Philadelphia, and I thank you for choosing to stay with us for your history trip to Philly. I hope that upon your next visit, or prior to your arrival, you may contact one of our lovely concierges who can assist you in navigating the Philadelphia area to see all the sites and more that you may be interested in. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

Reviewed January 14, 2014

It's probably our 10th time at this hotel. It just gets better and better all the time! If you are looking for a romantic getaway....and want to be within walking distance of a dozen fantastic intimate restaurants, then this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
1  Thank Fred-the-Accountant

Bonjour Fred-the-Accountant,

We truly delight in welcoming our guests back time and time again to deliver a personalized experience, as our relationship with our guests is extremely important to us. I am so pleased that you are able to enjoy all the wonderful dining options in our downtown area, and invite you to indulge in the delicacies we offer here in Liberte, our urban chic lounge, for a romantic dining experience just steps from your guest room. I want to thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed for 2 nights on a mini getaway in the City. Very pleasant reception staff upon arrival. We were able to check into our room at 10:30 on a Saturday which was great. I was concerned about the noise as our room was across from the elevators, but it was the "2nd bedroom" of the 2 bedroom suites... so we were in an enclave with the suite, though we each had our own rooms, while being closed off from the rest of the hallway. It was great except the people in the suite next two us had a bad habit of letting their door slam.

Excellent bed - I described it as a marshmallow. You completely sink into it. Loved the shower, bathroom was very nice. Room was clean, albeit the sparse furniture was showing signs of wear. We requested extra towels, which were delivered before I even hung the phone up. Bellmen and valet were fantastic! Drinks were way over priced, but that's Center City.

We got a great deal on the room, and when that rate is available again in the future, I will surely stay here. Also - very convenient to Suburban Station. If you are able to train it in- do so and avoid the parking fee.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KathleenW958

Dear KathleenW958,

I am so pleased you were able to enjoy a Great Stay with us! We certainly take pride in our "SoBed" which has become a favorite among our guests for a perfect night's sleep.

We will look forward to welcoming you back again!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Let me start with the positives:
Location is great.
Hotel is clean.
Bathroom is nice.
Did I mention the location?
But it just seemed average overall for a Sofitel and a four star hotel.
We were not wowed, and I doubt I'll return with so many other options.
Service was just okay, and I observed staff being less than polished professionals on a few occasions (and we stayed just one night). Example: housekeeping staff member walking by me in hallway complaining loudly to another staff member down the hall about a lack of vacuum cleaners. Um, I think that can wait until you get closer and do not have to yell it as I go by.
Another example: arrived at lobby bar and sat for at least 5 minutes before I even saw a staff member (no one behind bar). And bar was pretty crowded for a Saturday afternoon. Waited another 5 minutes before I was welcomed and offered a menu. Just felt like something was off there.
Fitness Center had nice equipment options.
Our rate was great, our sleep was fine, our stay was average. We expected more.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear smep013,

Our downtown location is absolutely convenient, as many shops, historical sites, and restaurants are just steps away. In addition, the layout of our bathrooms has certainly become a favorite for our guests with the soaking tub and separate stand up shower.

I am disappointed to hear about your experience with our Housekeeping and Liberte bar ambassadors. I will share your feedback with my Director of Operations, as your experiences are certainly not up to our standards.

I thank you for taking the time to share your comments, and I hope that you may return to the Sofitel Philadelphia to indulge in all that we have to offer and experience the exemplary level of service we have become known for.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I'll make this short and sweet:
Staff: was awesome. Very welcoming and very helpful.
Room: Needs a little updating in the bathroom. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall. There was also a horrible cover-up paint job done around the moldings.
Bed was super comfy. The pillows were the icing on he cake! My husband and I are actually going to purchase them online.
Hotel Bar: Over-priced drinks.
Breakfast at Chez: Delicious food. Waitress was so sweet.

Overall: We would probably stay there again just based on location and price. But we will probably try a new spot just because we don't travel to Philly very often.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Vincent V, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear simstar969,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our downtown location and competitive rates. I will certainly share your comments with my team to help us as we continuously provide updates to our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Philadelphia upon your next trip to Philly!

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Our family of five stayed in a luxury suite with an adjoining double/double (not connecting, but at the end of the corridor so that you can close and lock the outer door to make it, in actuality a two-bedroom suite. We like staying here as the service is excellent, the rooms are very comfortable and the location near Rittenhouse Square (and our favorite restaurant Parc) make it a perfect choice. The level of luxury for the price is excellent and they do quickly recognize and attend to repeat customers. The lounge now has wider food options and a nice "high tea". Breakfast is also excellent.

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk before you arrive, they are always most obliging.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PhilipNewJersey

Bonjour PhilipNewJersey,

Having a strong relationship with each of our guests is extremely important to us here at the Sofitel Philadelphia, and we certainly delight in welcoming our guests back each time they arrive. I thank you for your comments on our services in Chez Colette and Liberte, and will share your feedback with our Food and Beverage Outlets Manager.

I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Overall a nice property in a good location for getting out and about... but the jr. suite was not in great shape. Problem with toilet (water kept running), room was not cleaned well (layer of dust on the doors and closet shelves), and the in-room safe didn't work. Housekeeping needs to be improved here to make the stay worth the $.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear ueni,

I am pleased you found the Sofitel Philadelphia to be a nice property and enjoyed our downtown location. However, I am disappointed to read about the issues you experienced with the room conditions. These issues certainly are not customary and are not up to the level of service that is our standard.

I hope that you may grant us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to experience all that we have to offer and the exceptional level of service we have become known for.