“Great Hotel - Lousy Bed”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. Great service and attention to detail. Rooms was wonderfully appointed. Not cheap, but got a great online deal. Breakfast was included which was great. They had a buffet option which had a great selection. A very romantic and a great location near Rittenhouse Square. I would normally give this hotel a 5 but the bed was horrible. Looked great, but maybe it was me. The duvet was for an arctic expedition; and in European fashion there was no sheet only the duvet itself. No matter how I adjusted the room temperature I was either sweating or was cold. I would stay there again but next time would contact housekeeping to redo the bed and pillows to my likeing.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Pgrandell

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I am a frequent traveler to Philadelphia for both personal and professional reasons. Philadelphia is a great city with friendly people, lots to see and do and great food. But like anywhere, the key to enjoying a place is to find the right place to stay when you're there. For me, right means a hotel I like in a neighborhood I enjoy. In Philadelphia that means The Sofitel in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood. Is the Sofitel the poshest hotel in the area? No. Is it the cheapest? No. Is it right on the park? No. Why then is it my hotel of choice and why do I give it 5 stars? First and foremost I judge a hotel by its staff. The Sofitel is staffed by true pro's-men and women who provide prompt, courteous service with an absence of attitude. They anticipate as well as respond to needs. They comfort when comfort is called for. On my most recent visit, I showed up with a horrible cold and as soon as I reached my room, a complementary pot of tea was at my side. My bed was loaded with a cavalcade of soft down pillows rather than the spongy things most hotels are sporting too often today. How did the hotel know I like soft down pillows? It's in my profile. Big deal then you say? It's in my profile at lots of my regular hotels, but seldom on my bed upon arrival.

I'm getting long winded. Let me be more succinct:

The rooms are good sized, contemporary but not stupidly so, spotlessly clean, honestly priced and, at the end of the day, nice comfy hotel rooms.

The location is just off Rittenhouse Square and a two minute walk to La Colombe (great coffee), a 30 second walk to Tria (great but noisy foodie place) and much too close to Boyd's (pricey men's and women's clothing and accessory palace).

The staff is, to a person, THE BEST.

Complaints: Not enough sockets bedside to plug in iPhone, etc and not my favorite bath products (but since I schlep my own, not a big deal.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Howard L
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We travel to Philadelphia often to visit family and we always stay at the Sofitel. It is a elegant and peaceful respite from the stress of the city. We booked a king suite as that can accommodate our family, 2 adults and 2 children. The staff is excellent, very courteous, friendly and professional. The king bed is always comfortable, the towels and toiletries are top notch. The room is elegantly decorated and very quiet and clean. Though after staying here several times now, some elements in the rooms are starting to show wear like the doors to the closets and bathrooms having nicks but these are very minor. The location is just off Rittenhouse Square which is a lovely urban park with lots of restaurants and eateries nearby. When we return to Philadelphia, we will return to the Sofitel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mchutch
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Although our stay was short, this hotel far exceeded our expectations. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The beds were especially comfortable. The staff were always smiling and being as helpful as any I have experienced in a long time. The location is in the "French Quarter" of Philly and is only a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square. If you are a walker you can reach the Art Museum and almost all of the historical sites without having to deal with taxis or buses. Although we have stayed at other hotels in the same area (Warwick and Latham), also which were excellent, the Sofitel will be my choice for future stays.

Room Tip: We were on the eighth floor, east side. The rooms were very quiet. The morning sun was very bright...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim M
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The property is great, the rooms are beautiful. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was a nice touch but that was where the good service ended. I requested that my room not be near the ice machine and that was precisely where they put me. When we checked in there was a line and only one person working the front desk. We were asked by the very nice person who checked us in when we wanted our champagne package that we ordered delivered and we asked for it in 1/2 hour. An hour later, no champagne. Had to call down twice to get it delivered so there went another 45 minutes. No instructions on what the breakfast package included, had to call to figure that out. Next morning it was delivered 15 minutes late and we had to send the person back to get the missing juice -- also no coffee included, I gues they want you to make it yourself. So in terms of service, this hotel didn't live up to luxury standards. Oh and then there was a HUGE line to check out the next morning since the TV checkout didn't work. Nice...

Room Tip: Junior suites are HUGE and luxurious
Reviewed April 19, 2013

There's something to be said for walking into the well appointed lobby of a fine hotel in a major city. One feels so... civilized. Especially after a long string of business trips to mid-grade hotels in suburbia!

The French feel to the Sofitel is apparent from the moment you walk in. Service was excellent, with the lobby staff saying their hellos without being overwhelming. The front desk was excellent and efficient.

The room was spacious, clean, and modern. I was surprised at how quiet it was - sometimes downtown hotels can carry the street noise. I popped my phone onto the Bose system and enjoyed some downtime reading while I waited on our business dinner to start.

I stayed here during the recent NCAA basketball activity, and I can safely say I didn't hear another soul in the hallway, despite the number of college age players obviously staying there.

The bar was lovely, a nice place to finish the night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank globaltiger
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Spent three nights here and found it a pleasure. Great service, had duvet replaced with blankets because it was too hot, which was fine. Clean, well appointed and maintained, responsive friendly service.

Only bugbear was the annoying operation of the TV, which took ages to get from the welcome screen and advertising of pay TV to get standard broadcast TV on every occasion, and the shower pressure was weaker than I had hoped. These were minor points, and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in central Philadelphia. It is well located to multiple restaurants, cafes and is in a nice part of town.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com