“Beautiful peaceful comfortable sanctuary in an awful city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel

You added Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel to your Saves list
Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 South 17th Street, (City Center West), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Beautiful peaceful comfortable sanctuary in an awful city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I'm sorry if you are from Philadelphia, but my goodness my what a nightmare of a city. There were two murders on the first night we were there only one street away from where we had dinner!

The Sofitel is lovely, from the moment the bell hop opened the taxi door I felt I was having a five star experience. The bed was large and comfortable - initially too warm with a duvet but we had it remade with blankets and it was fine. The bathroom was large and clean. The shower was a little weak but overall a good bathing experience.

The "Full Cable TV" was a bit hit and miss, there was no news channel which I sorely missed being from the UK. There was no kettle to make tea, just one of those now ubiquitous coffee machines. I must buy a travel kettle!

The housekeeping was efficient and discreet, we stayed in our room until 1pm one day and no one knocked on the door - as has happened in other places.

I ordered room service one evening when I was just too exhausted to go out. It was pricey but delicious and served very quickly. Beware of the 20% "service charge" in addition to the menu price.

As I said previously I found Philadelphia to be a pretty awful place and this hotel felt like a necessary sanctuary. I asked the desk girl for suggestions re shopping malls, she suggested something called the Gallery. On my way I asked a policeman for directions, he told me to "be careful". I should have listened. What a place! I did not feel safe and I did not see one shop I recognised. Don't go. And if you have to go to Philadelphia, stay at the Sofitel and do day trips to NYC!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Lucyboom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here for a week and can't recommend it highly enough.

Central location - easy to get to all the major landmarks or just to go a wander round the shops.

Rooms were large and luxurious and staff were very helpful and friendly. Room service was great (I'm not really one for room service, but when in Rome...). Highly recommend the Philly cheese steak.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Graeme B
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Vice B,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel while visiting Philadelphia for the week. I am very glad that you and your fiancé were able to take advantage of our great downtown location and all it has to offer from major landmarks to little boutiques. I’m also very pleased that you enjoyed our Philly cheese steak while indulging in our room service menu during your stay. We look forward to welcoming both you and your fiancé back again for another luxury stay.

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Large comfortable room, nicely appointed; large bath; separate shower and tub. Excellent location to best part of city. Walk to historic sights and shopping. Accommodating staff. Ample breakfast buffet and free parking. All in all a good value.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rhale53
Dear rhale53,

Thank you for your excellent review of Sofitel Philadelphia! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed both our great location and luxury amenities that we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon to enjoy our comfortable rooms and well known Sunday breakfast buffet.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

To be honest, I am already a Sofitel fan. But the location in Philadelphia is really quite nice. Being a Philly girl, I was always curious how they turned the stock exchange into a hotel, and I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was really quite big, plenty of space to spread out. The bed, with the down comforter and feather bed, was, well, like sleeping on a dream. Only downside of the room, the HVAC, couldn't make it cold enough to thoroughly enjoy the feathers!

The location of the hotel is key. it's a block or so from Rittenhouse and great restaurants, clubs are all within walking distance. The staff were super nice and accommodating. I booked the room through sniqueaway for a girls weekend with friends, so the price was really fair. And, I would imagine for the size of room, a better value than some of the more trendy, boutique hotels in town also offered on the site. Well done Sofitel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank leslievansant
Dear leslievansant,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel for your girls weekend. I am delighted that we created a great stay when visiting your hometown and that you were able to find out how our conversion from Stock Exchange to Sofitel turned out. We are very proud to be located in not only a great area, but also in the historic Stock Exchange building. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon for many more girls weekends.

Regards,

Lisbon, Lisboa, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Dear Friends,

Every once in a while, and thanks mostly to the company that I work to, I have the pleasure to stay at the Philadelphia Sofitel. Every time I do, it feels like the first time.
The staff and everyone there, are always very professional, providing the best service you can get! The rooms are very confortable, along with a very artistic design and decoration, and the selected radio station next to your bed, will help you relax, either after another busy day working or simply relaxing! In the morning, do have breakfast in the hotel! The best one I've had in years!
Location couldn't be better and the "5-star" staff will do everything they can to help you finding your way around!
I'm defintely going back to Sofitel, both with work and also, sometime soon, to enjoy a few days in Philadelphia! A very pleasant stay is certainly garanteed!
Friends, enjoy the city and enjoy the Philadelphia Sofitel! I'm sure you'll agree with me!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rodrigo C
Dear Rodrigo C,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest and for your excellent review of Sofitel Philadelphia! I am absolutely delighted that we are able to create such memorable experiences for each stay with us. Our biggest goal is to provide the best service possible to our guests and it is a pleasure to be compared to a “5-star” hotel. We look forward to continuing to welcome you to Sofitel Philadelphia for many more trips in the future.

Warm Regards,

Norwalk, Connecticut, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Landed here on a client's recommendation and found the staff consistently professional and warm, the room very comfortable and the food excellent. Rates were high theroughout the city on my stay date. I'd enjoy going back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Bulldog1974_13
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Been to this hotel numerous times, always in January, where it can be cold, wet, icey and also snowing.. Central to numerous shops, restaurants and other attractions, with great service and facilities to match.. rooms are very well equipped, gym and wireless internet too all rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business