“Great Hotel”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Very nice hotel, perfectly located in downtown Philadelphia. 5 minutes walk from the iconic Rittenhouse square.

Rooms are clean and have really comfortable beds which, according to me, is vital for a excellent hotel like this one.
Hotel service was overall really good. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Bar is great, pricey, but very good cocktails, bartenders clearly know what they are doing.
Say hello to the tall French manager, Marie, she's is amazing!

Next time we visit Philly we'll definitely come back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bert H

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Sofitel Philadelphia has once again gone above and beyond to make our stay perfect. From start to finish it was perfect. The handwritten note from the hotel wishing my wife and I a Happy Anniversary was over the top. Thank you Sofitel!! The only hotel I reccomend in the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phillips4778
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is great, got a last minute deal. Hotel staff top notch, however our room on the 14th floor must not be used often as the vent was uncovered and it sounded like a helicopter was hovering above our room for hours. Other than that I have stayed several times and it is a perfect location for Philly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adidas99
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is about 10 min walk from the convention center, surrounded by restaurants and close to shopping places. Good size room, good size bath room with large counter top. Very nice bedding. The Internet sapped is one of the fastest, even with the free wifi, which I care about very much. This makes a huge difference when owing with large files over the Internet.
Did not dine in their restaurant, went to Starbucks nearby for breakfast. Friendly staff. Would stay here again next time.

Room Tip: No buffet for breakfast, if you like one.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zh.Ou.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Service was excellent and the rooms were extremely nice. The bed was fantastic, very comfortable. The lobby was very clean and were all the public areas. If you are planning a stay in Philadelphia, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob_Conde_Nast
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Sofitel Philadelphia has a privileged in the old town. The room itself was very spacious, luxurious and with an impressive bed. Bathroom was also top notch. Tried the hotel’s restaurant one time, and while it wasn’t bad it wasn’t anything special either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank 351pete
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed Thursday to Sunday on two reservations made on the Accor site, which the check-in agent linked up. My gold card was recognised in that I retained my suite for the weekend, and I got the all-important late-check out (3pm) prior to my overnight flight back to Europe. The suite was large but gloomy even on a sunny day on the 9th floor. The bathroom was bright and well-equipped. The room air was very dry (hence the bottled water). I appreciated the free wi-fi. The TV channels were only US. Strangely, there was no TV5 or France 24.

The restaurant is used only for breakfast. The first evening, I wanted to eat early, but there were African drums in the lobby. Nothing French about that, except that the noise drove me back upstairs, in much the same way that such drums drove my parents-in-law out of their block in the 20th in Paris. Later, I was expected to eat at a low table surrounded by after-office drinkers. So I was taken to the other end of the bar where a few tables can be brought into use for any spare eaters. Friday, I appreciated breakfast being brought to me. At the weekend, there is also a buffet breakfast but, apart from some speciality bread, it did not look up to even Novotel standards (but it was 'only' 20 dollars plus). Unlike the other days, the Sunday staff were rather supercilious buck-passers. Any next time in Philadelphia, I shall go to the Pain Quotidien on Walnut Street.

The motionless and emotionless check-out agent was memorable. On the assumption that my room would be blocked after noon, at 2pm I asked for my keycard to be re-activated. The agent, smirked, said nothing in a way which obliged me to justify myself, which was then met with raised eyebrows and then a bizarre 'Are you checking out ?'. When I did check out at 3pm, this supercilious agent tapped away, put my bill in an envelope, and made me reach for it. I queried why I did not see my bill first (my reservations were not pre-paid), and found that my bill was only for about half of what it should be. He tapped away and finally said, with the minimum of words, that he assumed that I had checked out (and checked-in again) on Friday!

I found the 'bonjours' insincere and confusing (it's not even ('bonjour, good morning'). I asked the doorman who opened my taxi why, he said it was because it was a French hotel. I am sorry, but I am British (living in a French-speaking region) and when I cross the Atlantic to an English-speaking city (once the second-largest English-speaking city in the world), I expect to go back into English-speaking mode. I can see the odd US guest might find it chic, and the odd French and Quebec guest will be happy, but what about the rest of us ? Maybe as a 70-year old single guest, employees think I am soft target for their bonjours (plus mutterings of French in the bar-resto, although the staff are friendly). When one receptionist got his 'bonjour' in first, I told him I found it insincere. He said that was not necessarily so, because many of the staff were French. Sorry again, but it should not be for hotel guests to make staff feel at home. I felt like asking for a badge 'Do not say bonjour'. Indeed, I rather envied the uniformed British Airways crew who frequent the hotel - presumably they do not get the bonjour treatment. Actually the fact that the hotel is used by BA crew says quite a lot about BA - and the hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Felix0309,

Thank you for the detailed review of your stay. Your feedback assists us in continually making enhancements to our hotel keeping our services & amenities at the highest level. Communication is an important tool to keep our ambassadors providing great service and we will certainly share your comments with them. We look forward to create an excellent experience for you in the future as that we are known for.

Vincent Vienne