“True luxury rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Porto, Portugal
“True luxury rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Sofitel Philadelphia has a privileged in the old town. The room itself was very spacious, luxurious and with an impressive bed. Bathroom was also top notch. Tried the hotel’s restaurant one time, and while it wasn’t bad it wasn’t anything special either.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 351pete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed Thursday to Sunday on two reservations made on the Accor site, which the check-in agent linked up. My gold card was recognised in that I retained my suite for the weekend, and I got the all-important late-check out (3pm) prior to my overnight flight back to Europe. The suite was large but gloomy even on a sunny day on the 9th floor. The bathroom was bright and well-equipped. The room air was very dry (hence the bottled water). I appreciated the free wi-fi. The TV channels were only US. Strangely, there was no TV5 or France 24.

The restaurant is used only for breakfast. The first evening, I wanted to eat early, but there were African drums in the lobby. Nothing French about that, except that the noise drove me back upstairs, in much the same way that such drums drove my parents-in-law out of their block in the 20th in Paris. Later, I was expected to eat at a low table surrounded by after-office drinkers. So I was taken to the other end of the bar where a few tables can be brought into use for any spare eaters. Friday, I appreciated breakfast being brought to me. At the weekend, there is also a buffet breakfast but, apart from some speciality bread, it did not look up to even Novotel standards (but it was 'only' 20 dollars plus). Unlike the other days, the Sunday staff were rather supercilious buck-passers. Any next time in Philadelphia, I shall go to the Pain Quotidien on Walnut Street.

The motionless and emotionless check-out agent was memorable. On the assumption that my room would be blocked after noon, at 2pm I asked for my keycard to be re-activated. The agent, smirked, said nothing in a way which obliged me to justify myself, which was then met with raised eyebrows and then a bizarre 'Are you checking out ?'. When I did check out at 3pm, this supercilious agent tapped away, put my bill in an envelope, and made me reach for it. I queried why I did not see my bill first (my reservations were not pre-paid), and found that my bill was only for about half of what it should be. He tapped away and finally said, with the minimum of words, that he assumed that I had checked out (and checked-in again) on Friday!

I found the 'bonjours' insincere and confusing (it's not even ('bonjour, good morning'). I asked the doorman who opened my taxi why, he said it was because it was a French hotel. I am sorry, but I am British (living in a French-speaking region) and when I cross the Atlantic to an English-speaking city (once the second-largest English-speaking city in the world), I expect to go back into English-speaking mode. I can see the odd US guest might find it chic, and the odd French and Quebec guest will be happy, but what about the rest of us ? Maybe as a 70-year old single guest, employees think I am soft target for their bonjours (plus mutterings of French in the bar-resto, although the staff are friendly). When one receptionist got his 'bonjour' in first, I told him I found it insincere. He said that was not necessarily so, because many of the staff were French. Sorry again, but it should not be for hotel guests to make staff feel at home. I felt like asking for a badge 'Do not say bonjour'. Indeed, I rather envied the uniformed British Airways crew who frequent the hotel - presumably they do not get the bonjour treatment. Actually the fact that the hotel is used by BA crew says quite a lot about BA - and the hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Felix0309,

Thank you for the detailed review of your stay. Your feedback assists us in continually making enhancements to our hotel keeping our services & amenities at the highest level. Communication is an important tool to keep our ambassadors providing great service and we will certainly share your comments with them. We look forward to create an excellent experience for you in the future as that we are known for.

Vincent Vienne
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

We had come to Philadelphia to visit the Barnes Foundation and the hotel is a convenient 15-20minute walk away. It is located in a quiet street and we had no noise in our room. The room was large with a very comfy bed and large bathroom with walk in shower with nice Paraben free Lanvin amenities. Decor was ok and distinctly better than the corridors. The hotel is used by airline crew for layovers. I would have given a five star review except that we booked an early morning wake up call and despite bring asked if we wanted a second call, did not receive either. We slept well but fortunately not well enough to miss our 8.30 train!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank frequentflyerLondon
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I love the Sofitel, and this stay confirmed my past positive experiences. I spent one night with my family, so we took two king bed rooms. Prices were very good, considering the quality of the hotel. The rooms were nice, clean and with the most comfortable bed I ever experienced. The comforter over the mattress is soft, thick, but not warming up, amazing. The bathrooms are very nice with shower and bathtub. Service is very good and location downtown. The oly two small negatives are that the rooms are getting a bit old and that the taxi access to the hotel is not easy, so the cars prefer to stop in the street, forcing the passengers to load luggage under time pressure. Despite this I rank this Sofitel as a GREAT hotel. And Value for money is outstanding.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank giovanni c
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

What an amazing experience. Yes the rooms are lovely, yes the beds are, well "heavenly" but the real standout here is the level of service... I can frankly say that I have never experienced this unbelievable type of attention. Rates are reasonable considering the location and amenities (free wi-if), free water delivered daily. Happy hour offers $6 house wine; bar burgers are pricy AND worth it. Located within a block or two of about a dozen outstanding restaurants (try Vernick, The Oyster House, Devon's) in Rittenhouse square area. Streets are safe; full of families and couples strolling at all hours. Concierge referred us to the Plough & Stars for St. Pats and helped with tours. Thank you, Marcy, your suggestions were awesome. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NMGIRL78
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Staff is very attentive and focused on their guests. Was offered a complimentary room upgrade. The Concierge, Maggie, was a huge help in assisting me with a change to my travel plans. Great location to the downtown business area. Would definitely stay again. Great choice when staying in Philadelphia.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank EHalligan
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Best Stay Ever. Much needed getaway from kids and work. Perfect location, greeted warmly from doormen to front desk, will be back soon for a longer stay. Need to hit the hotel bar for some drinks and people watching

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

3 Thank TheBishop123