“Only good things to say”

Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Zug, Switzerland
“Only good things to say”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Modern hotel, nice rooms, pleasant staff. Great location for sightseeing in this outstanding city.
One piece of advise - do not use the valet parking, because it is quite expensive. There are a number of parking facilities in walking distance.

Not only would we come back to Philadelphia, but also to its Sofitel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GranZorro
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed our rooms, staff, location, and the great things our city has to offer. We understand that not all guests are interested in valet parking and our fortunate to be located right in center city where there are many other types of parking facilities available near by. We look forward to welcoming you back to Philadelphia and Sofitel.

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Belmont, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 1, 2011

To All This May Concern:
I am writing this letter to applaud the amazing service we received from Sofitel, Philadelphia while staying there for our son’s wedding. Philadelphia was clearly uncharted territory for my family in spite of the fact that we have traveled the world. Our son and future daughter-in-law researched the many choices and somehow had a special connection to Sofitel. We traveled to Philly over the summer and stayed there to experience firsthand the amenities offered by the hotel but really to test out the service and their response to our needs.

From our very first experience it was the perfect match for us. The rooms are quite spacious and extremely well-furnished and well-organized. I am very particular in regard to cleanliness and was extremely pleased. I asked to see the many room options that we had selected and the hotel management very graciously found samples of each room for us. In fact, we were so impressed that we decided to arrange a breakfast after the wedding and worked with the Catering Manager. We left very pleased that most of our guests would be staying at Sofitel and felt that our son and future daughter-in-law had made an excellent choice.

As we got closer to the wedding date, our numbers were rapidly growing for the breakfast and at the very last minute it was clear that the room we had selected could not accommodate our rapidly growing group. Melody Duffy, the hotel catering manager that I was working with, offered to find a better space at no additional charge. Once again, the response of Sofitel was both reassuring and accommodating in every way. Superior service is clearly their branding and I must say they live up to this in every area.

We arrived the Thursday before the wedding from all parts of the world with a significant number of us checking in at the same time. The hotel was impressively responsive from getting us checked in within a short amount of time to accommodating our varied schedules and needs. The agency they use for babysitting scored very high points with our guests from England and I must say they felt that their almost one year old was in excellent hands. As someone who serves on a hospital board and sees what can happen when poor babysitting choices are made, I was very concerned regarding the experience of the sitter since Victoria is under a year and only speaks French. The agency had excellent credentials and more than lived up to our expectations. Again, thank you, Sofitel, Philadelphia.

-2-
Mahony Sofitel Letter

Overwhelmed by so many details I had forgotten to make hair appointments for my mother and I for the wedding. The hotel quickly moved into action and not only did they find a superb hairdresser within two minutes of the hotel, but they also arranged for the same hairdresser to come to the hotel to do the hair of one of our guests from England. Amazing service with so little notice.

Jonathan, who is the manager of reservations, did a superb job of arranging our rooms and suites so that we could be near those that we needed to be able to access quickly such as my eighty-nine year old mother. The suites are located at the end of hallways in private alcoves allowing everyone the feeling of privacy and quiet when needed. I had many requests and Jonathan fulfilled every one of them. My only regret is that I missed thanking him in person.

The bar area lends itself beautifully to gatherings after activities and so when we returned from our rehearsal dinner on Friday night we all gathered at the Sofitel Cocktail Lounge that has excellent service and a wonderful atmosphere. It was just perfect and I encourage anyone who is having such an event to plan a meeting at the bar sometime over the weekend.

The food is also wonderful in the breakfast area and in the bar area and I must compliment all the waiters and waitresses for their long walk from the kitchen to the tables they are serving. The breakfast choices were quite delicious and the portions more than generous. Coffee was available early in the morning for anyone who is an early riser and for that major points were scored.

Major points also go to Mary and Stacey for the wonderful service at our Continental Send-Off Breakfast the morning after the wedding. The flowers that we had put in the hotel cooler for the event were on the tables without me even requesting this and the larger room that Melody had selected looked fantastic. The choices were excellent and the value for the per head price was excellent. With an extra fifteen to twenty guests descending on us at the last minute, our servers quickly arranged for more food that was out in record time allowing the unexpected to feel very expected. The flexibility and quick response made our breakfast just another wonderful Sofitel, Philadelphia memory.

As we packed into cars and cabs for our departure even the doormen were asking how our event went. They were so delightful and so accommodating to our many guests that had plane reservations and needed to get off quickly.

And so, as you plan your Philadelphia trip, I would highly recommend the wonderful Sofitel, Philadelphia. While you are there have a drink in their wonderful cocktail lounge and think about how lucky you are to have found such a wonderful hotel. To the general manager, Vincent Vienne, I would like to express my sincere thanks for making our stay so amazing. Merci beaucoup, Sofitel, Philadelphia. Fabulous location, amazing service, and wonderful ambiance.

-2-
Mahony Sofitel Letter

Mary Mahony

Room Tip: All of their rooms are fantastic. We were a large group and experienced a wide variety of rooms and...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Mary M
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful stay with us for your son and daughter-in-law’s wedding. We are privileged that you choose us to spend your special event with and are always eager to make such stays as memorable as possible for all of our guests. We do pride ourselves on our service and are very pleased when we are able to serve our guests with the best service possible. We are fortunate to have a great staff that truly wants to go above and beyond for our guests and has such attention to detail. We do our best to prepare for any unexpected guests or events so that we are able to make these situations as comfortable for our guests as possible. It is always good to hear that our guests enjoy our service, rooms, food, and atmosphere. We strive to create a great experience in all areas for our guests and want to ensure that we always provide that. We value such detailed reviews of our hotel and appreciate your time in writing about us. All reviews help us understand what our guests are looking for and what we need to continue to focus on or improve. We hope to welcome back you and your family again to Sofitel Philadelphia for another memorable stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in February, 2011 and enjoyed the hotel very much.
The rooms was beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. Although we did not
need much from the staff, they were all very helpful and friendly. The bar is very lively
and had excellent cocktails. Our only issue was the location - very good for business
travelers, but not ideal for sight seeing / leisure.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank photraveler7
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you found our hotel beautiful and comfortable during your stay. We are pleased that you had the chance to experience our new bar shortly after it was renovated and that you enjoyed our mixologist’s unique cocktails. We understand that for guests who are primarily looking to spend their trip in the historic district we might not be their first choice since we are 15 minutes walking distance instead of right in the heart of the historic district. However, we are hopeful that you were able to enjoy the other great attractions that our Rittenhouse Square district has to offer such as the city’s best restaurants and shopping. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the near future.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I was greeted with a polite "bon jour" three times by the time I reach the registration desk but it was all a facade; none of these people spoke any more French than that phrase. I suppose they probably know "bon jour" for the morning also but didn't test that. If you're going to "go French", be serious about it Sofitel. Beyond that, my bed had a canyon in it that that Viaduc de Millau couldn't bridge and the front desk was unable to give me a copy of my bill when I checked out at 6:45 am. I think any night time accounting jobs ought to allow you to provide a bill - since there wasn't one under my door - any time after 6:00am. That bed's a real issue - the rest of the stay was pretty average. I'd definitely try other large hotels in search of a better experience.

Room Tip: West-facing rooms have an unpleasant view - I think east would be a better side of the building.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ken L
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. It is true that not all of our employees are from France or speak fluent French, although we do still try our best to remain unique to other hotels by giving a French greeting instead of an English one. We understand if this may not be in a favor of all of our guests. However, we do agree 100% that you should not have had an issue receiving your bill and that you should have had a good night’s rest in our beds. We will most definitely discuss with our Front Office team to find the reason why there was an issue with printing your bill to ensure this does not happen in the future. We also try to ensure that our unique, So-beds, are comfortable for our guests and will look into what we can do to make any improvements. Your comments help us to make positive changes in our hotel to better serve our guests and we greatly appreciate them. We look forward to an opportunity to better serve you in the future and hope that you return to our hotel for a much better experience.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 25, 2011

great location. would come back and stay here. nice and comfy beds.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that you found our beds “nice and comfy” and that our location we convenient for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the near future.

Annapolis, MD
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Thanks to Hector, Suzanne, William and the rest of the staff, my wife and I had another terrific stay for a long weekend. Weather cooperated and the location makes for easy walking to a host of fine and diverse restaurants.

Room Tip: If the $34 per night valet service irks you, there is a lot of parking garages within walking (we fo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank follyAnnapolis
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted that continue to choose us when you visit Philadelphia. We are pleased that you find our staff to give terrific service and that our location is convenient for you. We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia in the near future.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Looks are deceiving... Although this has got to be one of the most comfortable beds with the softest pillows.. .. .. AGAIN, I don't understand why hotels have to have to doors that SLAM!
You cannot sleep, rest or concentrate on anything because of all the LOUDNESS ! ! ! Noisy Doors... VERY LOUD.. Sound travels very easily down the halls....
AND>.. LAST BUT NOT LEAST....
See my photos below.... I usually don't add pictures to the "Advisor" review ,, just due to time and effort.... BUT>.. I could not have placed these HAIRS on my TOWELS any more perfect than the way I found it...
LONG Hairs in the sink, on the towels, and in the tub.....
***
I am rating the SLEEP QUALITY POOR.. even though the beds are great... You cannot sleep with all the NOISE>>>!
Sorry Sofitel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Chrome1007
SofitelPhiladelphia, General Manager at Sofitel Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Bonjour,

Thank you for your comments. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it enables us to continually improve our service and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests. We will most certainly bring your experience to the attention of our housekeeping department for them to be more conscious of. We do also apologize for our doors that are difficult to control other guests from slamming. We have ordered a device to attach to our doors to slow them down when closing and stop any slamming. We understand that disturbance to our guests in not acceptable and needs to be taken care of and we are in the process of putting that in place to make our guests’ environment the best that it can be. Again, we greatly appreciate your comments and look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to Sofitel Philadelphia for a better experience.