“Beautiful Hotel With Excellent Service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #24 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Jersey
“Beautiful Hotel With Excellent Service”
Reviewed April 21, 2010

The Ritz Carlton is a fine hotel centrally located next to the City Hall complex. The hotel lobby was originally a bank and is located within an enormous marble rotunda surrounded by magnificent pillars. A bar with overhead large screen TVs is located along the far wall and the center of the lobby has been converted into a lounge. The 10Arts by Eric Ripert dining venue is located in s screened area adjacent to the lobby. The hotel common areas are most impressive and abuzz with activity.

Service is the hotel’s hallmark. The staff is competent and very pleasant. Check-in is concluded with a complimentary glass of champagne. The concierge was particularly helpful and resourceful in securing our last-minute dinner reservation on a night when the center city was particularly full of tourists and activity.

The rooms are located in an adjacent tower. We were upgraded to a mini-suite located on a corner of the building. It was tastefully appointed and outfitted with quality furnishings. The bathroom and a short hallway separated the bedroom and sitting area. Both rooms were outfitted with large flat panel TVs. The tiled bathroom, while quite compact, had a separate walk-in shower and bath tub. The linens were of good quality.

Breakfast service at 10Arts was exemplary and the food preparation first-rate. The only cautionary note for this hotel is a high floor should be requested. Our room was located on the tenth floor and we experienced a considerable amount of street noise throughout the night.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Philadelphia
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We decided to stay overnight in Philadelphia to celebrate a friends birthday. We currently live about 45 min outside the city and used to live in Center City . Philadelphia has some amazing hotels and we normally stay at the Rittenhouse Hotel or the Four Seasons but we recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas in a Club Level room and really enjoyed ourselves. We loved that Ritz ( St Thomas) so much we thought about joining the Ritz Destination Club but thought it would be a good idea to stay in a few other Ritz's to see how they all were. WE started with the one closest to us. One thing I am thankful for is that I won't waste my money on the Ritz Carlton Destination Club or EVER stay in another Ritz Carlton.

My husband made the reservation by calling the hotel directly we specifically did not make the reservations online becasue we wanted to make sure we asked about the club level rooms and how the club worked at this property. We wanted to make sure it was a perfect, special night for my friends birthday. Our plan was to check into our room, relax for an hour or so, grab one or two drinks and some snacks at the Club and then head out for dinner.

It was pouring rain when we arrived to the hotel. When we pulled up , in our Honda, not one person came to assist us with our bags or car. My Husband had to go into the lobby to find the Valet to park the car. This is important becasue the hotel is located on A VERY VERY busy street in Center City and there is no driveway to pull into when checking into the hotel. After bringing in our bags , we still were not greeted by any hotel staff until we approached the front desk. We all went to the front desk were we checked into one room CLUB LEVEL ROOM. All four of our names were listed on the room reservation and the policy required we pay extra for each person in the room which we understood and we were fine with.
The ladies who checked us in to the Hotel told us all about the amenities of the hotel, including the club and told us to be sure to head up to the 30th Floor ( Club ) to Toast with some Champagne to celebrate our friends birthday.
We then carried our bags into the elevator and ventured to our room. The room was average. It was basic. The Bathroom was above average but the room itself was old and needed updating. It smelled musty and old and the beds and furniture were not fresh or new. WE were all still really excited to relax and enjoy the evening so we unpacked , freshened and then decided to take the Elevator to the club level for a drink and to check out the view.
We arrived on the 30th Floor , and walk into a pretty small room but the VIEW WAS AMAZING. The food display was small and sad. Cubed cheese, stale crackers, and some dip and celery sticks. ( very disappointing) The Club was not crowded but there were a few other people in the room . We found a table and sat down. At this club unlike the one we stayed at in St. Thomas, they have servers who take your drink order. We waited for about 15 min and finally the server came over to our table. Instantly , it was a very strange interaction.
Instead of welcoming us, she asked very coldly " Can I help you guys with something?" I replied that we were interested in ordering a drink. She then said, " Are you guests in the hotel?" ( Obviously, we were because in order to even get up to the Club Level Lounge you need a room key) I replied that we were and she said what is your name and room number. After giving her our name and room number she turned to our friends and asked for their name and room number. When we stated we were staying in the same room, she said that only two of us could stay in the club lounge and that two of us would have to leave. When my friend said that she did not understand what she was saying. The server turned to her and said " ok, let me speak more slowly for you to understand and she repeated herself in a very condiscending tone." We attempted to explain to her that we had paid extra for each of us to take part in the hotel amenities , she loudly said that we obviously we too young to understand how the "Ritz" worked and asked us all to leave.
By this point, every other guest in the hotel was watching this interaction and we decided to leave and head to the front desk to explain the problem.
By the time we had reached the desk, the server had called down. The Front Desk people explained that she had made a mistake and that she assumed becasue we looked so young were not guest and trying to take advantage of the hotel by stealing free drinks and food.
WE WERE SHOCKED! We expressed our disappointed to the front desk and they basically said we were free to head up to the Club Lounge now and that they "cleared" it with the server. We attempted to express how embarressing the situation was but the ladies at the front desk were distracted and not interested in hearing anymore about the situation.
Bottom line, it was horrible. WE ended up going out of the hotel, and had an amazing dinner and stayed out late celebrating and then headed back to the Ritz to sleep and then left early in the morning.
I wrote a complaint to the Hotel In Phiadelphia, and also to the general Ritz Corporate but have not heard anything to date.
It is very sad that 4 people in there mid 30's ( well actually anyone at any age) were treated so horribly at the Ritz Carlton Philadelphia. I will never stay there, or any other Ritz again. I will also continue to tell as many people as I can about this horrible experience so no one else has to be so disappointed. There are so many OTHER OPTIONS IN PHILADELPHIA....choose something other then the Ritz!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
11 Thank KCIP
New York
Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed here last weekend, for a quick trip to Philly to celebrate our anniversary. We found a decent rate, which wasn't that much higher than some of the other hotels in Philly that don't have the same reputation as the Ritz. I noted in our online reservation that we would be there for our anniversary. Upon checking in, we were greeted with glasses of champagne and well wishes from the front desk staff. We had requested early check in and were accomodated. The entire weekend, the hotel staff was extremely friendly - everyone from the front desk staff to the bellboys to the housekeeping service. We had a few requests (toothpaste, extra towels, etc.) and they were met quickly and pleasantly. Also, whenever I called any of the internal numbers (housekeeping, concierge, etc) the phone was answered immediately - I have been to other, expensive hotels, where I have been annoyed by endless ringing. Definitely not an issue here.
The room itself was nice - well appointed with tasteful decorations. The room was not large, but it fit our needs. Enjoyed the robes. We could hear the people in the room next to us - not sure whether it was due to thin walls or extremely noisy people.
The lobby is beautiful and the bar area looked like a nice place to sit and enjoy a cocktail. The hotel is centrally located - we walked everywhere we needed to go.
All in all, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

1 Thank HILNY
Lancaster
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I was not the best dressed or richest guy walking through the lobby, But you would think I was a VIP when I checked in. Kylee at the front desk was warm and freindly. We got a great rate by calling the hotel directly. Price line had listed $160 for a room with a shower only. When a called the Ritz, they matched the price, and informed me all rooms have bathtubs ?
Kylee upgraded us. to a nice large room with a great view.The lobby is awsome. Beautiful domed space with candles flickering.The public spaces to die for. But the best part was watching my wife be treated like the queen she is. Staff went consistantly above and beyond. The Breakers in Palm Beach is great, but the staff here top any place I have ever stayed.

Resturaunt rocks but breakfast was $70. We had to do it twice it was so good.

Thanks Ritz folks. Andy

2 Thank freindobill
Kinnelon, New Jersey
Reviewed March 19, 2010

The trip with my son was in between Philadelphia's many snow storms this winter and it was the first time we would visit the city. We got a great rate by taking advantage of the specials that the area offered to entice people to visit despite the snow. I had never stayed in a such a luxurious hotel, and based on our experience at the Ritz, I now know what we were missing! EVERY one of the Ritz staff we dealt with were incredibly helpful, from the hotel operator who talked me down and gave me directions as I was stressing out about being lost, to the valet who took care of parking the car, to the bellmen and the front desk staff who greeted us by name. We were upgraded to a corner room with the most amazing views of the city and City Hall with it's 548 foot tower. The room was so comfortable and the marble bathroom was gorgeous. (It took me a while to figure out that the bathroom's Roman Shade on the window was NOT manually operated.) We asked for and got great suggestions of area restaurants and directions to area sites. I would highly recommend this hotel, even though a bit pricey, for anyone visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank elm5
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I will make this brief as possible. The hotel is interesting and impressive from the outside and the ridiculous lobby, but it is not the best in Philly. I hemmed and hawed on where to stay for 4 nights during Thanksgiving. We decided on Ritz Philly Club. While the room was nice and spacious, it was very very dusty, the A/C did not work, it was stuffy and the maintenance could not fix it. The housekeeping laundry staff was rude and was more concerned about going home at 5pm than making sure we had our clothing pressed. Seriously the housekeeper said "Well, I have to be getting home at 5 o'clock!" Unbelievable. The hotel did apologize and got us our garments pressed, but the laundry put a black stain on my sisters brand new blouse. They had to send it out to fix.
The beds were just okay and in fact got all bunched up and uncomfortable during the night. They did not change sheets and linens even though we requested it. Had to call and ask them to come back to the room.
The Club Lounge, while not that expensive, had great views. That was it. It was very small and he food was lackluster. I was disappointed on almost all of the presentations. Breakfast was anemic at best. Food was old and fruit tasteless. We went down to the lobby restaurant for decent meals for three of the days. The food there was phenomenal. A lot of the Club Level guests ended up going to the restaurant to eat. The tunafish sandwiches were good. I actually got ill from some beef spoon they put out one night. The concierges were great and made the room a pleasure to be in. Not big enough for all Club Level guests though. The treats and deserts were boring. Never had such awful stale cookies at a Ritz. The lounge also often ran out of food, sodas, waters and other beverages. They did not move to really restock quickly either. The coffee machine was terrible. When I stay at a Ritz I expect a freshly brewed cup of java...not a freeze dried instant coffee machine that has no flavor. That is what they tried to give us. We ordered cappacinos one night and they said, "Oh you can use that machine." What a joke.
This Philly Ritz is the bottom of the barrell for the brand. Nothing like Lake Las Vegas, Laguna Nigel or Central Park ... or any of the others! I should have written the company it was so awful.
Do not bother with this hotel. Seriously, go to the FOUR SEASONS! We went for Sunday Brunch! It was UNBELIEVABLE! The best brunch we have ever had. The Ritz has nothing on them in Philly. When we return to Philly next Thanksgiving we will stay at the Four Seasons. Much much nicer.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
6 Thank VegasJimbo
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed March 9, 2010

We stayed one night in this hotel and really enjoyed it. The service was outstanding, the rooms comfortable, the bathroom was one of the best I've seen in a hotel, and the gym was great. Although not cheep, we were able to get a second companion room for some friends for $100. From what I understand it is a special that they have based on availability and an existing reservation. Two rooms on the 26th floor for $400 is not bad in a 5 star hotel.
There is a bell tower nearby that bothered my partner, but I didn't notice enough to even say if the bell chimed at during the night or not.
We ordered room service for breakfast and the meal was fantastic, but not cheap. Well worth it for a romantic morning in bed though.