“Beautiful property could use an update”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beautiful property could use an update”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

This hotel overall is very nice but could use some updates. First, the "lobby" is as nice or nicer than any other hotel you will ever see. It is downright stunning in a good way.

The bell staff and concierges are excellent. Had interactions with several over the visit and each of them were great.

Our experience with the front desk staff was mixed. The gentlemen who checked us in seemed put off by the fact that we wanted the best room we could get. Mid stay I worked with a woman at the front desk that was great though.

Our room was big, clean, and very nice. However we were a bit surprised at a few things in the room. Examples include pillow cases with a couple of holes and a towel that was fringed on the ends.

Oddly, after turn down service each evening the bed was turned down and the toiletries were renewed, however the used towels weren't replaced nor were used glasses removed from the room.

The staff in the club lounge was the biggest disappointment. We encountered two different hosts and both were not what we would expect at a hotel of this quality. When we stepped off the elevator both times we visited the lounge the women approached us and asked for our names and room number and did it in a manner that seemed like we were trespassing. Very odd. During one of our two visits to the lounge, we were the only ones in the lounge on a Saturday morning. After the inquisition by the hostess, we were cleared to proceed into the lounge itself. There was a table that was used by a prior guest that sat in that state for at least 30 minutes while we sat at another table. The hostess remained at her desk which seemed very odd when there was a table that needed to be cleaned off.

Bottom line is this is an absolutely beautiful property and has a level of history and beauty that is not found in many new hotels. I hope that ritz Carlton spends the money and effort to update it and also update the training of the staff to get it back to 5-star level.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank frogbog
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Frogbog, thank you for providing a detailed response as it is only through feedback that we are able to improve upon or service commitment to our guests. We are committed to providing the finest legendary service and facilities for our guest and I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your comments. I am happy to inform you that we are planning an upcoming renovation, which I am very excited about. I hope to see you back soon and would welcome an opportunity to speak with you personally. You did an outstanding job describing how breathtaking our lobby space is and I am always in awe every day as I walk in this historical building. So much history and refined detail that cannot be duplicated. I look forward to the chance to speak with you if you desire. Please feel free to reach me at 215-523-8242. Have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight at the ritz Carlton. Our room was very spacious - we were in a supreme room and it was huge. The lounge at the entrance was buzzing and seemed very nice (we did not eat in the hotel). The big drawback was the lack of soundproofing between rooms - we could hear the conversations in the hallway and the adjoining rooms - something that I do not expect at the RC. Additionally, the temperature in the room also fluctuated as at night sometimes it was really hot and then we would get cold. Location was good - near the independence hall, etc.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Pkumar26
Thank you for your review, Pkumar26. I know firsthand that traveling with a family can sometimes be a stressful endeavor, and if our Ladies and Gentlemen are able to provide service that would lessen some of the stress, then we are headed in the right direction. I am pleased to know that your room was comfortable and spacious and that our location is prime for exploring history and living the arts while in Philadelphia. We hope you will return again soon, and when you do, I have made special note of a quiet room when traveling with your family. Also, we hope you will find time to enjoy the fine cuisine of 10Arts and enjoy the ambiance in our lobby lounge! Be on the lookout for the release of our Art of the Craft Series at 10 Arts Lounge – Seasonal Food and Drink Demonstrations by our fabulous Chefs. Complimentary to all guests!
New England
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed one night in February. Got a great rate - less than a room at the regular Marriott! Was upgraded to a corner room on 28th floor (Marriott Gold member). While the room faced city hall and would have had an excellent view, the 28th floor has a wide ledge and obstructs the view somewhat. They were doing work on the façade while I was there, and so there are workers right outside the windows from 9-5. Not a problem if you're there for work, as I was. However, the bathroom has two enormous windows in it - and could feel a little like a fishbowl. Bathroom was beautiful, but very chilly. What sets the Ritz apart from other hotels though, is the service. Just wonderful. Porter, front desk, housekeeping, room service - all attentive, friendly, and efficient. The room could have been a postage stamp with a view of a brick wall - and the service would make it all okay. I give it only four stars because of the construction and the fact that the bathroom was like an icebox. Maybe I'm picky. But I would definitely recommend for a business stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing City Hall - it's a beautiful, iconic building, and lit up at night.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank oscardream
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a 1 bedroom suite overlooking the city hall building, the room was very well maintained and spacious. The furnishing were good and the bed very comfortable, with a large bathroom off the bedroom, with high quality products. The service in the hotel was excellent, staff were quick to offer assistance and James at the concierge desk was particularly helpful, and made some excellent recommendations for dinner and bars in the locality. The real benefit of the hotel however was the lovely club lounge which offers drinks and snacks throughout the day, a really lovely place to enjoy some time kicking back with a glass of wine or 2. The breakfast is also served in the club lounge and was delicious each morning just what you need to start the day. I would also like to mention the excellent lounge staff who were friendly and keen to deliver excellent service ( especially thank you for the late lunch you provided us without prompt even though we arrived after the lunch had been packed away).

Room Tip: Make sure you go for a room with access to the club lounge
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cream Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The welcome was great and then it went down hill. The rooms are small. For a luxury brand the rooms reminded me of a out dated Sheraton. The common areas are wonderful and grand. But we were disappointed with the rest of the stay. Next time it's the Hyatt for us.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loockout
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Loockout,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. If your time permits, I would love to have an opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail. I can be reached at 215-523-8242. T'hanks in advance and I look forward to speaking with you.
Olivia Brown, General Manager
Washington DC
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Where to start. The TV that didn't work - during the Super Bowl! And the back that fell off of it in the middle of the night. Room service - without the silverware. Surcharges for the extra surcharges. I could go on but why bother? I fare better at the Hampton.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Zouave2k
Olivia B, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Zouave2K
I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and valuable feedback with us. Please accept my personal apologies. I truly would welcome the opportunity to personally speak with you further about your experience as it is only through feedback such as your own that we are able to improve upon our service commitment to our guests. If you would be so kind as to give me a call it would be my sincere pleasure to speak with you. I can be reached at 215-523-8242.
Have a great day
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I love staying at the ritz in Philly. The staff is great and always ready to assist. The building was an old bank and therefore has the charm and ambiance of the old world. The rooms are very comfortable but does vary in size a bit depending on the direction you face. I preferred the top floors but beware of the bell tower across the street that chimes on the hour. Thankfully the chimes stop after 9pm so getting a good nights rest is possible. The concierge floor was great offering quite a bit of tasty delights. My only criticism is that of the water temperature and flow in the bathroom. It takes a few seconds for you to get hot water from the tap and as a result the water tends to be cold. Otherwise a great stay and I will most definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the main hallway.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo