“Awesome Lobby in Overpriced Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #21 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I loved the lobby area, very spacious and open with beautiful décor. Rooms were nothing amazing, except for the bathroom which was huge with a spacious shower. The noise from the road below was ridiculous, but to be expected in a tight downtown area. The bar and restaurant were severely overpriced on drinks and food. I understand it's the Ritz, but their prices were silly high.

My wife arrived a couple days before me and when I got there, they could not get the key card to work properly. We also had towels with dried blood stains on them placed in the room one day. The staff was top notch and reacted immediately to correct any issue. This is a nice hotel with a convenient location, but you could probably do just as good or better for less money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,656)

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton Philadelphia for a business trip and overall I really liked the hotel.

The building itself is beautiful. The outside resemble the Pantheon and the inside lobby is stunning. The staff try really hard to make everything pleasant and they do their best to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

The complimentary coffee and tea are a nice touch in the AM.

The lounge is great, fantastic drinks and fabulous bartenders.

We didn't eat here so I cannot comment on the food.

The elevators in the hotel are very slow and make a lot of noise when the doors close. They definetly need to be replaced.

The rooms are nice, but are a bit tired and I had a nasty stain on my carpet that I was afraid to get to close to because I didn't want to know wha it was. The room was noisy and being next to the elevator, I could hear the elevator noise all through the night while sleeping.

Make sure that you are aware that this is no pool at this hotel.

Overall the staff was a 5, the general areas were a 5 and the rooms and decor were a 4.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor to get good views of the city. City Hall is spectacular at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Loved the history of this location. We arrived and they had a DJ playing for happy hour for the night we arrived. It was happening! It was July 4th week and a lot was going on. On the Weekend They had an old Charlie Chaplin movie showing at the top of the Dome in the foyer. It was cool. They had some interesting drink Tini's. I was surprised with all the activity in town that the Club Lounge was Closed. The rooms were old school but clean and spacious. The shower was modernish. Great Customer service entering and departing the hotel and there were cucumber water refreshments and rocket Popsicle. Breakfast was very good. We also enjoyed a very late night room service that arrived hot and timely. It was far enough away from the 4th of July concert but so close to Redding Sq and City Hall across the street.

Room Tip: We were on one of the top floors, quiet as a mouse
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2013

The Ritz is a great hotel in a great location. My girlfriend and I were in the city for the night and made plans to stay in the city even though we live only 30 minutes away. We both know the city very well and we were very surprised to find that the Ritz was priced very close to many other lesser quality hotels.

The hotel is in the heart of the city. It is very clean and all of the staff was great. The bed was very comfortable and it also had a nice bathroom. They also give you a glass of champagne upon arrival which was a nice touch although I passed since I do not like champagne. My GF did say that it was good.

There is some facade work going on outside but we checked in on a Friday night and then checked out on Saturday so I cannot comment on any noise that those construction activities may cause.

Room Tip: Get a upper flloor room with a view of city hall.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed on a Friday and Saturday night for combination business and pleasure. As a Marriott member I usually stay at the Courtyard in Center City just next to City Hall. This time, though, the price for the Courtyard was higher than the Ritz (go figure, the price for the Ritz was $237 per night). Anyway, my wife and I decided to stay at the Ritz; here are my thoughts

Location: Very good. Within 10 - 15 minurte walking distance of Rittenhouse Square, maybe a little longer to the Historic District and the Museum of Art. Lots of good restaurant choices in the area. Even though it is on very busy Broad Street (and my room fronted on it) I didn't get a lot of noise.

Check in and Lobby: Got there at 10 am. Lots of people to help with bags. No line at the reception desk. Asked for and was given an upgrade to a junior suite. Room was not ready but that was not unexpected given the hour. I had business to do and my wife went shopping. Room ready at 1 pm so that was fine. The lobby is pretty spectacular but my view is that I don't sleep in the lobby so these vast spaces don't make a big impression on me. And for my taste the lobby and lobby bar are a little sterile.

Room: Elevators to the room on the 10th floor were not very quick but no big deal. The room (1005) was pleasant but dated I thought. Walking in the door was a small hall with the bedroom on the left, the sitting room on the right and the bathroom in the middle (kind of a funny arrangement I thought). It was a corner suite and the views through the three large windows in the bedroom, one in the sitting room and one in the bathroom were very good despite only being on the 10th floor. Nice views of City Hall and down Broad Street. The bedroom was of a good size but only had a Queen bed. The desk was in the bedroom. Lighting was good. Lots of plugs for Iphones etc. Mattress good if a little softer than I am used to seeing in Marriotts. Furnishings could use some updating. Didn't seem to me to be of Ritz quality. Bathroom was small with one vanity and one mirror. Could not be used by two people to get ready. Shower stall was OK but wish the water pressure was a little stronger. Big soaking tub which was a nice touch. Loved having a big window in front of the tub. Made for a very relaxing bath. Toilet had a separate door which was another good touch. Very little room to put your vanities, however. Should be more shelf space. Sitting room furniture again looked pretty tired and a couple of stains on the carpet (although not that noticeable). Had to turn the TV on manually and then use the remote.Typical LG TV in both the bedroom and the sitting room. Not sure of the size but my impression is that they should have been larger. One closet was not large but adequate for me and my wife. The iron was broken and when I called housekeeping they came up immediately with a replacement. Also, when my wife twisted her ankle on a sidewalk they were very good in keeping us stocked with ice in plastic bags so she could use it on her ankle.

Service: As noted above, all service people I encountered were quick and friendly. Turn down service good. No issues at all with service.

Exercise room: Fine, about 8 or 9 pieces of equipment (Bikes, stairmasters etc). Good selection of weights. Would have liked a window.

Restaurant: Only had breakfast on Saturday. Typical overpriced stuff (e.g. $12 for a small bowl of oatmeal -- good oatmeal though). Still, service good and my companions were happy with their meals.

Checkout: Easy. Car was brought around promptly ($49 a night valet). Bellmen immediately available to help with bags.

In general, the hotel was fine for the price point I paid. Didn't strike me as good as other Ritzs at which I have stayed. The sparkling service pushed this to a Very Good review. Other aspects I thought were Average.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gate75
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Spent a long weekend Putting On The Ritz this last August and what a wonderful time it was. I have staid at many high end hotels all over the world and the Philly Ritz is one of the best for many reasons. 1. When I pulled up to the hotel, I was greeted with a very friendly hello & welcome by the car hop, bell hop and the doorman. Each one of these gentlemen were just that "gentlemen." who made me feel welcomed to their "home". 2. The front desk people were 1st class with a big smile and I felt a sincere welcome. The reservation was waiting and my special requests were met with ease and style. 3. In a word, the lobby & hotel bar matched my expectations. Marble walls, marble floors, stylish paintings with elegant leather chairs & couches.with glass & marble tables. The place just rocked! 4. The king suite room was absolutely elegant. It was clean and smelled fresh well beyond even my expectations. 5. I only had breakfast @ the hotel, but I enjoyed it very much. The menu was kind of short but the quality is excellent. The service is 1st class. Attentive, but not intrusive. The prices are high but it is the Ritz and downtown Philly. 6. Sunday Morning Brunch is above a beyond most hotel brunches. The selections run from a full breakfast selection, fresh fruits,bake goods, omelets etc to fresh from the oven roast beef! You may say so what! My point is the quality of the food and the service. it is above and beyond the norm. To me well worth the price.

If you have a chance to visit downtown Philadelphia, you will be smart to stay @ the Ritz Carlton. There are plenty of weekend page deals that make the stay affordable. You can take the extra money and spend it on the exciting night life on South Street or on The Art Museum or any number of other place!!! Go for the history, the food and the fun of the city but when it is time to call it a night, why night stay where you feel like you are guest in a someones home and not a hotel.

Room Tip: Had a king suite, so I can not comment on the size of other rooms. But I will say it was a bit of a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend after my business trip in the greater Philadelphia area, as I wanted to do things downtown Philly. This being said, I went looking for a hotel on booking.com but due to a convention, almost all hotel were booked out and downtown only 4, including Ritz Carlton, were available.
The location is great, because you are opposite city hall, a few minutes away from all downtown shopping, one street away from Macy's, there is good dining and bars at walking distance, and the tourist attractions are not further than 15 minutes walking. So in all, perfect location. The hotel is also walking distance from Suburban station, which takes you every 30 minutes directly by train to the airport at 6.5USD or 8USD coming from the airport. If you are travelling alone, it saves you 30 dollars compared to a taxi.

Arriving at the hotel: well the building - an old bank - is magnificent. The lobby is just overwhelming. The lobby is very nicely decorated, modern design, trendy and up to date. HOWEVER, this is not the case for the rest of the hotel. Rooms are outdated.

Check in: TERRIBLE. I arrived with a huge suitcase, my laptop case and another bag. NO HELP at atll from the bell boy, so had to carry everything myself up the steps at the hotel entrance. This reminds me... the wheelchair access is on the other side of the hotel but entering, there are steps as well, so actually, this is not really wheelchair accessible at all.
The check in desk is very small and tucked away, there were 3 people standing behind the desk, 2 were actually helping people and the 3rd one was just standing there. I had to wait almost 30 minutes before it was my turn. The check in process itself went smoothly, but very limited explanations on the hotel and services, and again no help offered for the luggage. I am certainly not used to that for a 5* hotel. Sometimes, when people get irritated from waiting at check-in, the supervisor walking around in the lobby sends someone with some glasses of champagne. I noticed this when I was queing for a new room key after I locked myself out of the room. I think they do really try to give good service, and the champagne to soothe the waiting is a great idea, but does not solve the problem of the front desk being to small.

Going up to the rooms was a nice experience, as I shared the elevator with someone from the hotel staff and they show interest and wish you a great stay.

The hallways with their thick carpets make it difficult to roll your suitcase to the room.

The room itself. I had room 1121 and that is a corner room so very bright, which I like. The room size was nice, but I was very underimpressed with the room, as furniture and decoration does not look clean nor fresh. Rooms are outdated. The bathroom looked fine, with seperate toilet, large shower, nice marble sink area. The toiletries offered are very good quality, but, normally in a 5* hotel they give you more than just body wash and shampoo, a shower cap and body lotion and mouth wash. No cotton swaps, no toothbrush nor shaving kit... (just details of course, but normally this is what you get in a hotel of this category). The bathrobe was in need of replacement. There was a bathrobe but no slippers (although maybe you don't really need slippers because it's all carpeted).
They have a turndown service, as they should for a 5*, and they put complimentary bottles of water and chocolates both during cleaning and turndown service. Very nice.
The bed quality is very good, I had a good sleep, but the rooms are not sound proof and everything shakes whan some of your neighbours slam their doors.

I enjoyed my stay in the Ritz Carlton overall, but it was not worth the money I paid for. However, as most of Philadelphia was booked out, the rate I paid, was probably higher than the normal rate, so I cannot really judge on that, to be quite honest.

Check-out: the express check out is fine.

Positiv note: concierge service was really great, friendly and very helpful!

The free wifi was working very well, good speed, no login needed, which is very nice.

They have a small gym and a spa. I have used the gym, everything was in good working order, so no complaints. I did not check out the spa, as I thought this was too expensive and had read some really bad reviews on the spa.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo