“History and class”

Ranked #24 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Chicago, Illinois
“History and class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

Gorgeous hotel with views of the square. I state here when I ran the Phikadelphia Marathon and got a great rate z I love the hotel bar. They also set up a great continental breakfast for runners. If you pay for the bath butler to draw you a bath you will NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I've stayed at this property more than a half dozen times for business and most recently this past weekend for a cultural visit. Like most Ritz Carlton's, the hotel staff is fabulous. Friendly, helpful and know how to resolve problems if they occur. The building is an amazing venue. Make sure to spend a bit of time at the bar. Get a north facing room, high floor room for an great view of city hall. All-in-all, really nice and a good location as well.

Room Tip: High floor, north facing
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittston, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

Checked into the Ritz Carlton, in town to catch a Phillies game with some friends. I reserved 2 rooms with Ritz Reward points. We were given two superior double/double rooms. The awesomeness of the Ritz Lobby is something that needs to be seen, giant stone pillars, the remnence of the bank that the building used to be. Our rooms looked out at the town hall and every thing was great. There were five of us and our front desk guy was happy to bring up a roll away and set it up in one of the rooms. Both were well stocked, minibars stocked, extra towels (as requested). The bar in the lobby was fantastic and all the staff really did everything they could to help.

when i arrived to check in the young man at the front desk (Ron, Ray), noticed that i was in a little distress. He inquired, and i expressed my nasty headache. then i asked if their was a sundries shop at the hotel, that i needed some excedrin. He said there was no shop, simply a sundries closet and it was out of excedrin. Then, he did something small that makes the Ritz Carlton, the Ritz Carlton. He sent someone to the local drugstore to pick me up some excedrin and delivered it to my room.

It is the little things that makes me pick the Ritz Carlton, time and time again.

I did not appreciate that the HVAC in the room was a bit dysfunctional (seemed to push out cold air and hot air hour to hour) or that the cordless phones didn't work. It is an old property, i don;t know its history, but it is safe to say one of the older buildings we have in this country so i can certainly let some things slide. It should be noted that these HVAC and electronic problems were only in one room, the other room was similar, and exceptional in every way.

What I found ridiculous was a $10 charge to use wifi in the room. I mean come on? can we jump over this already. It is the single most important amenity to a traveler and it is virtually free to provide, in fact most cheezy hotels have it. The Ritz not offering free wifi, is like McDonald's charging for Ketchup.

I will most certainly stay in this property again, it was above what i expected and many things about the property were spectacular. It, however, was the people that were working, from the extremely attentive, very young man working the front desk, to the simply stunning hostess that asked several times, without ever bothering, if we needed anything or any help with our evening plans.

Great Friday night at the Ritz, thanks for having us.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better. Much nicer view of the city. Club is worth the upgrade. Capital Grille...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JimWPPA
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

I stay in a hotel just about once a week. The outstanding service at the Ritz is very noticeable. The lobby is just beautiful, very impressive. Rooms are smaller, but that's what I expect in an older downtown hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

the lobby is beautiful and the location is great. Cit Hall is literally outside the front of the hotel and it is close to everything in Center City. That said the rooms are very small, even for a big city hotel, althought the bathroom was quite spacious and the closet had plenty of room for hanging clothes. There was very limited space for folded clothes (only 3 small draws), and everytime the person in the next room opened/closed their door it was very loud. The rooms were clean and they do have turn down service, we were on the 26th floor in a corner room and it was quiet as far as street noise. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful with the exception of the doormen, they were rude and inattentive. From we arrived in our rental car and didn't valet park it was as if we were not welcome. We had to unload the car ourselves and haul the bags up to the front of the hotel (there were 4 doormen/bellmen standing right there watching us), we arrived at 2 pm on a Thursday, they didn't even open the door for me and my 8 year old daughter, as my husband went to park the car. Although we stayed there for 4 days and nights we were never greeted or acknowledged by the doormen. The number of times my daughter had to struggle to open the door for us as our arms were full cannot be counted, on all of these occasions the doormen were either buys on their cell phones or talking to each other. The final insult was on the day we were leaving, as we left the hotel at 5:45 am there was not a doorman to be found the entrance was deserted. I did fillout the departure survey and Kristen from management called me to follow up and get details on this experience, hopefully they will address these concerns and correct this major issue.

Room Tip: ask for as a high a floor as possible closer to city hall.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I had a runaway this weekend to the Ritz and was disappointed. The room was amazingly noisy. The air conditioning didn't work--even after engineering said it was fixed the temperature kept goin up. The roll on my burger was stale and hard.... I expected so much more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ginny00
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Nice hotel but not the level of service one would expect from this type if property.

• Stayed March 2012