“Not quite what I expect of Ritz Carlton”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #20 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This is a good hotel. But with the RC name I really expect an excellent hotel. Room was nice but seemed to be missing the normal amenities one expects at this level. Room thermostat was set at 80 when I entered and took several hours to get temp down. There was no guest book listing hotel services.

When I came to my room on the 17th floor at 5pm there was a room service cart by my door with leftover food. The next morning when I left at 9 am, it was still there. Not what you expect at RC.

All in all i'd stay again but mainly because it was cheaper than other hotels in the area.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

True "Ritz" experience....travelled with wife and 2 year old toddler....smooth check-in...friendly staff all-around...immaculate room...stayed 28th floor "executive one-bedroom suite"....small club lounge on 30th floor but food options more than passable....lounge area is a mix of modern and historic....close to city hall...."occupy Philadelphia" protests next block over did not deter our stay....no problem with valet parking...Pricey food menu biggest downside but plenty of surrounding restaurants including Capital Grille and Olive Garden.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank wmcheuk
Reviewed October 17, 2011

In my own business and personal travel experiences of many years, I've found that what separates good from great hospitality is often in how the host responds to a problem. Unfortunately we experienced one during our stay--a situation for which the Ritz was not at fault; nevertheless, it marred the first day of a planned two day stay. Once informed, the staff could not have been more responsive and accommodating. The second day of our stay was filled with expressions and actions designed to recover the pleasure of a special occasion weekend. It was a great example of the attitdue that we witnessed from the moment we pulled up to entrance on arrival until we pulled away two days later. Yes, it's a great central location--and the lobby bar area is absolutely stunning--but it is the people, the staff and their sincere concern for our security and enjoyment that we took away as the single dominant, lasting impression of a great fall weekend in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor to minimize street sound
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I had never been to Ritz Carlton before and it really disappointed me. There was nothing exceptional about it except the stunning lobby. The staff was friendly was nothing exceptional.
The room was like the marriott a block away except the bathroom was quite nice. Had a separate tub from the shower which was a nice touch. Otherwise the room was drab. The view from my room was beautiful, of the town hall but it was on the main road of a city and thus was very loud at night (the windows are a little thin and dont block the street noise very well; i was on the 11th floor). Room service was delicious and came right on time quickly.
The hotel front desk is very unorganized. When I checked in, they confirmed I was staying five nights. On the morning after the third night, I received a folio under the door showing I was checking out that day. I called the front desk and the guy at the desk was flustered and got quiet. He said he would handle it. Not once did I get an apology from the hotel or management for the inconveience. Then the next morning, I received a folio under the door again! And it wasnt even mine, it was for another room on a totally different floor. I told the front desk about it but again doubt the management was made aware. Never heard anything about it. My co-worker stayed here the same week and when her husband tried to call the hotel to be transferred to her room, the hotel already had her checked out in their computer. He finally gave up trying to tell the front desk guy that his wife was indeed stil in the hotel.
Also just a few little things like my paper wasnt delivered to my room twice and housekeeping was not great at repleneshing items like water and coffee in my room.
The doorman at the entrance was not great at holding open the door. Several times I had to awkwardly hold the door open while I tried to get thru it with my bags.
My co-workers and I agreed that we would not stay here again and we much preferred the marriott a few blocks away.

1  Thank spacecase84
Reviewed October 11, 2011

When planning my trip to Philadelphia, I was excited to find the city had a Ritz Carlton and I made a reservation for two nights. Perhaps my previous stay at the Ritz Carlton in Toronto raised my expectations too high - or perhaps the Ritz Carlton Philadelphia really just...sucked.

The Ritz Carlton Philadelphia does have a great location. It sits just opposite City Hall and the center of Philadelphia's downtown, known locally as "Center City". From the hotel, one can easily walk to a huge variety of restaurants and bars, or spend an afternoon shopping anywhere from Staples to Tiffany's. The Old City is also within walking distance. Stepping outside the hotel, one can easily find a cab. If you drove, get ready to pay some pretty hefty parking charges - about $40 a night! So as far as location - two thumbs up.

Inside the hotel, the staff can be quite snobby - always funny to me since they work at the hotel. My stays at the Ritz have previously been excellent in part because of how friendly and accommodating the hotel staff were. Not the case with this property; the front desk staff were rude and unfriendly, requiring me at one point to request a manager (who, I will add, was very professional and polite). Additionally, when calling the front desk from my room, I had difficulty getting through; after a third attempted call to extend my reservation, I finally called the main reservations number since I could not seem to get anyone in the hotel - not what one would expect in a five-diamond hotel. I also found housekeeping to be quite loud doing their duties, both with their carts and conversing with their coworkers.

My room was located on the 18th floor and was considered a Superior Room--hyperbole if you ask me. The room was definitely among the smaller hotel rooms I have had and lacked a sofa or sitting area. I was expecting a nice view at that height, which also was a disappointment as my windows faced the building next to the hotel. Lighting in the room was terrible - the large floor lamp lacked a dimmer and was quite bright. The work lamp on the desk did not work and the night table lamp put out little light. Also on the desk was what I thought was a Sounddock or something similar that one could plug an iPhone or iPod into--I was mistaken, though, as this was a CD player. In 2011, who travels with CDs? The bedding was quite soft and very comfortable - perhaps the room's only redeeming quality.

At check-in, I was told the hotel had recently renovated and updated its Fitness Center on the third floor so I was anxious to check it out. After doing so, I wanted to ask the front desk if they were finished with the update, as the gym I saw was not only disorganized and looked like it needed to be cleaned, but it had the most bare-bones and basic equipment typical of even your 2 and 3 star hotels. A couple cardio machines, a weight bench with some dumbbells and a cable machine - that was it. No fitness enthusiast will get much out of that gym (Bally's, however, is about two blocks away).

Remarkably, I priced the Four Seasons and it cost slightly less than the Ritz, and I am sure it is a better choice. This was, by far, the most disappointing Ritz Carlton at which I have stayed.

3  Thank Alexjrosen
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Í've stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Philadelphia seven or eight times this year and I found that the service from the hotel staff is consistently exceptional. Granted, this property is considered "Luxury", so exceptional service is expected.

On the downside, the accommodations can best be described as "average". The rooms, though spacious, seem worn and due for a makeover.

Particularly annoying about this property is the fact that you can't order food in the lobby / bar after a certain time. In fact, the cocktail waitress suggested that we go to our room and order room service if we wanted something to eat.

All in all, I'd recommend the Ritz Carlton if you want to be within walking distance of the center city attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms numbered 01 and 02 can be made into an adjoining suite because they are separated from the hal...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This is a typical ritz property which is very hit or miss (Dallas being a hit and Philly being a complete miss). The hotel is a poor carbon copy of a 1970's Marriott. The walls have multiple layers of paint which have been painted over many times, the carpet is filthy and mildued and furniture beaten up like a group of rock stars had a week long party in a room. the staff is rude and inexperienced, which is putting it nicely and could not even suggest a single restaurant to get a bite to eat

• Stayed: September 2011