“Must-be-seen lobby bar”

The Ritz-Carlton, Philadelphia
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Agree with most of the reviews below regarding overall experience. Even if you don't stay here, this is a very cool place to take a break as you criss-cross the town sight-seeing, or meet for a drink, or just want to see an historic space turned into a hip oasis. The lobby is a former bank, with an interior modeled after the Pantheon in Rome. A copy of the original circular tellers' space under the dome's occulus now displays wines, and acts like a centerpiece around which cozy sofas and chairs form intimate arrangements. Gaze at the soaring ceiling and classic detail (from architects McKim, Mead and White), enjoy small bites from Eric Ripert's (Le Bernadin in NYC) in-hotel kitchen, sip cocktails and observe some of the best people-watching in Philly. Table service is prompt and friendly.

Room Tip: Book through American Express' Fine Dining and Resorts by phone. You get room upgrade, 4pm chec...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank VParry
Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was in town for my birthday, and to see my daughter. We were very excited to stay at the Ritz, etc.

And as others have experienced, the room was a total Bait and Switch. I had dropped in around noon (before check-in time) just to get a room assignment, and was assured they would save us a very good room. I was waiting for my husband to fly in from Boston. When he arrived, around 4:00, we checked in. They had no recollection of speaking to me earlier, none.

A professional sports team had checked in, and apparently had received VIP treatment, including all the good rooms. We were shown to a TINY room BEHIND THE ELEVATORS, in which you could hear not only the ding of the bell, but the rumble of the elevators in the shaft. This noise was almost continuous. The furniture was all jammed together, and there wasn't room to unpack. It was like a bad movie. Truly, this was the very worst hotel room I've ever been in, and having this be my birthday "celebration" was too much.

This was so infuriating, I went downstairs to complain, which is not how I wanted to spend my birthday. After dropping a couple of barbed comments in the lobby, the manager came out to talk to me. I politely explained, in my inimitable style, and he put us in a suite, for free. The suite was unbelievable, and proof that a class system exists in hotels. Huge bedroom, living room with lovely furniture, two gigantic marble bathrooms with a view of the city, one with a large whirlpool tub, huge walk-in closet, the works. Why not divvy up the space in this hotel a little more equitably?

But you know what? I didn't care then, and I don't care now!!! I was so enraged at how we were treated initially, that I just couldn't (and still can't) get over it.

Basically, there are rooms in this hotel that should only be used for storage. Others have posted similar experiences, in which they had to complain after the initial room assignment. It's just not anywhere near good enough, particularly for the price we were paying!

The manager was a nice guy, but the situation there was out of control. I kind of feel badly for him, because he tried to fix it. But the only reason he did this was because I have the willingness to confront and complain, which is very stressful for me. A more passive person would have had to spend the night listening to the elevators in that little room. Hello, I don't care if some kid is good at hockey and gets a big salary as a pro hockey player. Don't give him my room!!!

The impressive lobby was populated by a number of these large, happy athletes and their entourage. We had dinner at the restaurant, which was elf food at exorbitant prices. I'm a food blogger and was looking forward to this, but no.

I now regularly receive spam from the Ritz, always offering me great offers to experience more of this treatment. That's unlikely.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank vtlocalvore
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Lovely rooms, lobby, service and restaurant provided the perfect setup for our first trip to Philadelphia. You can park your car and leave it until you leave town, walking to a variety of
activities and sights.
Super comfortable rooms with luxurious bedding and baths..We would gladly stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2011

For those familiar with Ritz-Carlton, this hotel will not be a surprise: the service was terrific, the food in the restaurant was excellent and the hotel's facilities were immaculate. I was here for a weekend with a friend and could not have asked for a better location -- convenient to most everything a tourist would want to see.

The concierge was particularly helpful at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MichaelMfromNYC
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The service was outstanding, especially housekeeping. The public interior was vey nice, but rooms were only comparable to a full service Hilton or Marriott. I expected more from a Ritz. I could hear the elevator all night in my room. The room service menu was subpar and very over-priced for what was served (I've stayed in other 5 star hotels with less expensive but great food in room service.)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The Ritz Philadelphia has to have the most impressive hotel lobby i've ever seen. It's a former bank and it is modeled on the pantheon in rome. When you pull up to the valet out front, it looks like a roman temple, with large marble columns. Inside it's a cavernous space but well used. The center is the lobby bar and lounge with reception off to the side. Across the lobby is a restaurant. The ceiling soars up to the oculus, again modeled on the pantheon in rome, and the space is quite grand. The rooms are located in a marble tower also built in the early 20th century. As you would expect, the rooms don't dissapoint at this Ritz. We had a corner room on the 23rd floor. The hotel is located on the Avenue of the Arts (Broad Street) right next to City Hall (itself a very impressive french-style, mansard roofed building). Our room looked straight out on the City Hall tower with the Statue of William Penn practically at spitting distance. Awesome view of downtown out toward the river. Furnishing were quite lovely empire style. Bathroom was enormous, complete with lovely granite vanity, marble floors, separate bath and shower stall and a separate WC. The tub had an awesome view of downtown as well, and had an electric shade. Nice flat screen tv, complemantary bottled water, and great coffee maker with free coffee and premium tea. Beds were super comfy with feather bed toppers. Staff was the expected Ritz level of staffing. This hotel has the AAA 5 diamond award. Overall a super experience with a super location and I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room on a high floor looking at city hall tower.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank marsille
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Like many hotels and restaurants in Philadelphia that are former Banks and office buildings the public spaces are magnificent, especially here, but be careful about the rooms...they are small.
Also, for some reason even these top of the line hotels play games with room descriptions. Having booked through American Express I expedted to be "upgraded" to a better room. When I spoke to the front desk manager about how small the room was he responded by saying we were "upgraded" from a "deluxe" room to a "superior" room. Hey Rosetta Stone try to translate that! Still very small.

Having said that my wife loved the hotel, the location, the restaurant, the breakfasts, the concierge, the evening ambiance. So I guess we'll be back. Especially after we confirm the room!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple