“Nice affordable hotel with great amenities”
Review of The Windsor Suites

Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights recently with several family members. We booked 2 rooms and we lucky enough to be booked right next to eachother. Beware the kitchens and counter spaces are nowhere near as spacious as shown on the website. Our room (2 queens) had a tiny kitchen and no counter space. The other room - also 2 queens - had the same kitchen with a counter space for one person. Our room had 2 walk in closets which was great especially for extended stays. I also liked that there was a mirror with a counter outside the bathroom so you could do make-up, hair, etc. while someone else was using the bathroom. Rooms were clean and nicely decorated and seemed updated. Unfortunately for us, we got fewer and fewer towels each day and when we requested more we were told there were no more in the closet. Towels were also scarce at the pool. The pool was perfect for the kids but too cold for us. The surrounding buildings are tall so there was never a lot of sun there. There also wasn't a bathroom so we had to trek from the rooftop (floor 24) to our room (floor 9) to go to the bathroom. Very inconvenient! The front desk staff was superior and always accommodating. On 2 separate occasions when we asked for directions a staff member walked us out the the sidewalk to show us landmarks to turn at. We ate dinner at the pub and it was quite good. You could carry out up to your room which was a nice bonus as well. We walked everywhere (Liberty Bell, Eastern State Penitentiary, Museum of Modern Art) and found the hotel to be very centrally located. Overall we were pleased with Windsor Suites and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear TCento,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. We have noted your comments with regards the towels and the pool, and have passed them on to the relevant department heads to be addressed. Our sincere apologies that they negatively impacted your stay.
The shape of our building lends itself to several different layouts of our suites. As a result, the suite you are assigned may not look exactly like the images shown on our website. Some may have more counter space or closets or a larger kitchen than others, but despite the configuration of the suites, they offer between 450-500 square feet for the studios, and 850-900 sq ft for our one bedrooms.
We appreciate your kind comments about our staff and we have shared this with them.
We look forward to have you stay with us again soon.
Thanks for choosing us!
The Windsor Suites

Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We recently returned from an overnight stay at the Windsor Suites. I originally booked the hotel in large part due to location and price -- in hindsight, I made a great choice. I can't think of a single thing that wasn't well handled by hotel staff and the accommodations exceeded my expectations.

We arrived ahead of check-in time. Our room was not yet ready, but the very friendly desk staffer (Zarena) provided us with bottled water, a center city map, and verbal directions for the best walking route to a planned first destination. An equally friendly staff member checked our luggage.

When we returned to the hotel, we found that we had been upgraded (without our request) to a one-bedroom suite -- which could better be described as a one bedroom apartment. We had a small but fully equipped kitchen (fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, Keurig) with granite counter-tops, a dining room table that could easily seat four people and a full living room. The bedroom was spacious with a very comfortable king-sized bed -- both bedroom and living room opened on to a balcony. The bathroom was small but nicely equipped, with a seated vanity area outside of the bathroom. Special note to those of us who like to take baths and also read in the bathtub -- the tub was full-size with an inclined back and the water flow was adjustable (if you are a reader, you will understand why this is important :)). The entire suite was immaculate, and Wi-Fi was dependable.

Every staff member that we encountered within the hotel was uniformly friendly and helpful. The price of the room was very affordable for an urban hotel -- but the quality of the accommodations and the quality of the staff members was worthy of a much pricier site. Based on this experience, this hotel has now become my first choice for future trips.

A short word about location -- the hotel is very convenient to the Rittenhouse Square area. It's a longish (but doable) walk to the historic district -- but there is easy public transportation if you are not a walker. It is also accessible to the art museum district. We didn't try them out, but the hotel has two on-site restaurants that seem to be decently reviewed, one of which also serves breakfast. There are other breakfast spots within an easy walk (the hotel is also an easy walk away from a fantastic gelato spot (Capogiro Gelato).

Hotel parking isn't free, but that's pretty common for an urban hotel. The price allows for in and out use -- and the valet service was both friendly and efficient.

This hotel is a great value based on both service and accommodations.

3  Thank horse2hound4

Dear horse2hound4,
Thank you for such a comprehensive review of our hotel. We are delighted when our guests take the time to share, and especially when our colleagues are singled out for recognition.
Thank you for choosing us. We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Outstanding location. I can't think of a better area to stay in Philly. Terrific views on both sides of Ben Franklin Parkway.

Room was terrific - with a living room large enough to accommodate 2 members of my party, and the bedroom for another 2 and a child. Having said that, I should mention that the sofa-bed in the living room wasn't the most comfortable, but I can't complain too much.

I loved the fact that it had a full-size fridge, stove, and a dishwasher. The air conditioning worked great.

The cleaning staff was efficient and friendly, and my requests for additional dishwashing soap, a toothbrush, some cups and cutlery, were attended to - sometimes with a slightly unusual delay but nothing problematic.

I've heard bad things about the elevator in the Embassy Suites hotel next door - which is fancier. But Windsor had 3 elevators that were quick and I was happy with that - having to make multiple trips up and down a day with children.

We drove to Philly, and needed a place to park. I looked around a little to see if I had cheaper parking options in the neighborhood but there were none unfortunately. I paid $33 plus tax = $36 or so per night. That is steep and I wish I could've avoided it, but the convenience of having the car right there, and the in-and-out privileges were worth it, I figured.

The negatives:

The shower curtain had mould on it. And the sheets weren't the cleanest - that is, after having gone through many wash cycles, there were still some stains on it. They could consider being more careful and having a stricter criterion for what is acceptable. For a room with a kitchenette, I would expect more pots and pans. A few more plates and cutlery would be nice as well. It's an easy fix and again something I hope the hotel will consider.

1  Thank tempoeffects

Dear tempoeffects,
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. It seems that you found us ideal to accommodate your family, and for that we are pleased.
We do apologize that there were housekeeping issues that affected your stay. Our housekeeping managers are working on steps to improve this experience for future guests. Please also note that although each room type is equipped with a specific number of kitchen utensils, our housekeeping department is just a phone call away in the event that you need more based on the size of your family or specific cooking needs. We are always happy to supply you with what you need so that you can take full advantage of our kitchens.
Please return to stay with us soon. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

How you couldn't give this hotel 100% I don't know. All the staff were fantastic, everyone was helpful and accommodating. We travelled from Australia and were excited to see our room was amazing. Walk-in robe, kitchen with coffee machine, fridge, microwave, it seemed to have a super king bed which was so comfortable it was hard to leave and go sight seeing!!! The parking was ridiculously expensive but that apparently is separate to the hotel. Sure the outside is dated, but how does that affect your stay?? It too will be modernised shortly. Everything was close by and easy to walk to . So glad we stayed at the Windsor Suites, well done to everyone.

Room Tip: Laundry facilities on most floors
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Thank you, Learne G for your great review of your stay at The Windsor Suites. We like when our guests are able to take advantage of all our features and amenities like it seems you did. Unfortunately, parking can seem a bit expensive, but with unlimited in/out, lowest rates and the ability to keep your car in until 6pm of your departure date with no added charge, our parking is the most attractive deal you'll find at all the area hotels.
Thank you for staying with us! We hope to get the chance to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

My family and I stayed one night at the Windsor this week. For free there upgraded our room size. Wow! The staff was extremely helpful. Subway is located right opposite the hotel and the rocky statue is a cool fifteen minute walk away. We shall return in the future!

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear mikecathytrini,
We are thrilled you and your family enjoyed your stay recently. Thank you for choosing us, and we hope you'll stay with us again soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Spent one night on July 4th (Independence day). In general the hotel is good. The best about it is the location, just at heart of the city at Benjamin Franklin Pkwy. Entire independence day celebrations were just outside the hotel. Watched fire works at 11pm from just outside the hotel.
The hotel rooms need some updation. They seem very old though the bed and restrooms are neat and clean.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 17th Main, with balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Dear Tn R,
Thank you for spending your Independence celebrations with us. Our location puts us right in the middle of all the festivities, and we are happy you found us convenient to enjoy them.
We recently completed the first phase of our renovation project, and we are excited to tell you that we are about to embark on our second phase. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and we are sure you'll enjoy the changes.
Thank you for your review.
Best regards,
The Windsor Suites.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I found this hotel because I purchased tickets Made In America last year. It is the ultimate festival held by Jay Z and I just had to be there because Beyonce was the headliner. I can not express how happy I was with my choice. Not only was Beyonce staying right next door to our hotel, but my boyfriend got to run into Jay Z while walking back to our room. The whole experience at this hotel was amazing. The day we arrived was a day before the event started and I wanted to see Philly for my first time. I took advantage of our free day and jumped into the pool. The pool is small but was perfect for my boyfriend and I because that day noone seemed to check in yet. Our room was like a mini apartment. It had everything we needed from a kitchen to a dinning table. Considering we ate at the festival and the Fridays next door we did not use the kitchen much. I would go back to Philly and stay here again! If you book in advance like I did you can save some money! The distance for this hotel is excellent. It is next to everything. My top choice!

Room Tip: Book in advance!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear MiissC,
Thank you for choosing us as your Made in America concert hotel. We are conveniently located just a few blocks from the concert venue, which definitely allows for random celebrity sightings.
Thank you for your great comments about your stay. We hope you'll stay with us again for this year's event.
Kind regards,