“Windsor”

Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Atlanta, Georgia
“Windsor”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Several stays under my belt. Excellent service, great price, excellent suites. It's an older building but they keep it luxuriously modern with a traditional decor, it is more like a temporary residence than a modern hotel, very comfortable, great location,the staff is awesome.

Room Tip: As for breakfast, cook your own or go to Con Murphy's downstairs. Better breakfast than any chai...
1 Thank streamkat
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Front Office Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Streamkat,

We are delighted that you have chosen to stay with us on multiple occasions now. It is nice to know that the efforts we are placing on taking care of our guests are not without merit. We take great pride in not being just another hotel in Philadelphia, but rather a home away from home, somewhere where you can feel welcome and comfortable whilst being conveniently located to everything the city has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Thank you for your feedback and please do not hesitate to let us know anywhere we might improve, with out guests like you we would not be able to do what we do, so thank you from all of us here at The Windsor!

The Windsor Suites Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just stayed for 1 night for a girls night/bachelorette and the double bed suite was Perfect!!! Huge living room with desk and a beautiful kitchenette which was so nice for when we made our appetizers!
The beds were so comfy and the bedroom was nice and spacious as well! If you're staying for more than one night, pack all you want! There were 3 huge closets!!!

The only "downfalls" were
1) the windows on the inside of our room were dirty
2) the shower drain was slow, was like taking a shower and bath at the same time
3) we asked for a couple extra blankets and the staff was very friendly and prompt in getting us 2 blankets....but when I received them they were just balled together, 1 was actually a comforter which was nice but I was honestly expecting the blankets to be folded when presented, not all wrapped up in a ball. Was kind of surprised about that.

Over all we all had a fabulous time! Great room, atmosphere, VERY convenient location, and friendly staff.
I have already recommended this hotel property, and I would definitely return in the future!!!

Thank you for everything!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Love2trvl33
Savannah
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Two stars during spring/fall, probably four stars during the rest of the year.

Very clean, and the kitchen was nice, so that front was ok. The service staff was friendly and helpful.

However, if you are traveling during seasonal changes, be advised the heating and air system is either hot or cold throughout the building. I'm here in April, and the heat was on when I arrived which drove the temps up to be 79 degrees in the room. You can crack the windows which helps some, but my last two nights here have been miserable with warm temps and no air movement in the room (even with the windows open). You will be walking around a lot, so you come in with your core temperature a little elevated and it doesn't dissipate very quickly when your room is 78 degrees

Wifi is slow and spotty, and you can get 4G if you are standing by the windows but not generally in the room. My phone seemed to drain battery more quickly than usual too.

So, I would stay here in definitive summer or winter, but never in fall or spring unless I called ahead to see when their big AC cut over dates were. Or if you want to imagine what it was like when our founding fathers scribed the declaration of independence/constitution. But they weren't paying the nightly rate we are.

1 Thank 691RobertH691
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Front Office Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Robert H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Philadelphia. I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with regard to the A/C system at the hotel. We understand the frustration you experienced and apologize for not satisfying all of your needs. We are actively exploring different options to help us improve our current system and to better inform our guests on how to optimize the thermostats to avoid unwanted peaks in the room temperature. We are confident that as we move forward the procedures implented to manage our heating and cooling system will help to avert any unpleasant changes in temperature due to the changing seasons. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and we look forward to hopefully having an opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.

Sonoma, California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This might be a good hotel, certainly the rooms were large and clean and the bed was super comfortable... BUT... they resurfaced their parking lot the night we stayed, the whole place was permeated with a nasty chemical odor that made sleeping very difficult. If we had known in advance this was going to happen, we would have stayed elsewhere. The really bad thing is management did not disclose this in advance and did not offer any accommodation when we voiced our concerns. I will avoid this property in the future as well as the chain to which it belongs.

1 Thank MsBizTravel
Dear MsBizTravel,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Please accept our sincere apologies for any discomfort you experienced during your stay with us. Unfortunately during the time you stayed with us we were in the midst of some mandatory repair work to maintain the safety and servicabilty of our garage attached to the hotel. We make efforts to inform all of our guests of any work taking place in the hotel, I apologize that you were not properly informed of this work prior to your arrival. It is our goal to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations and in this instance we failed. I am confident that if you choose to give us another try we will be able provide you with the service that all of our guests come to expect.

wny
Reviewed April 6, 2013

There were 4 of us that stayed there the first week of April, the staff was out of this world. The only name I can remember is Eric, he spoke to us almost every morning and gave us some great tips.The room was comfortable and had lots of closet space. The location for our sight-seeing was great, only a few minutes away from some historic sites. Restaurants were within a few minutes walk, also. There was even a convenience store less than half a block away. The only drawback was the construction, the first day there was noise until 6pm. The next 2 days there was an acrylic odor for a few minutes(from a floor installation).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank willtravelfromhere
Dear WillTravelFromHere,

Thank you for your great comments about our team members. We take great pride in trying to provide excellent personalised service to each of our guests and it is nice to here when we succeed at that endeavour. We are lucky to be located right in the center of the city, and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy so much of what our great city has to offer. I aplogize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise from the renovation project but I am confident that you will be happy with all of the great upgrades and exciting changes that are occuring here at the hotel. We look forward to hopefully having an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel as a guest somewhere in the future.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us!

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The night I stayed at this hotel, they gave me a room on 6th floor. The same night, they were applying seal coat in their Garage, at night. They didn't inform me of this fact when I was booking the room. When I checked in, they informed me about the Seal coat. I wasn't gonna find a hotel at the last moments notice..and I had a lot of work that I needed to get done quickly, so I had to check in. When they started the Seal coat...I couldn't stand it and called reception to check if they could move me to some other room (as they were doing the work one level below by room). The reception was completely un-cooperative and told me to talk to the manager the next morning.

2 Thank BusinessTravel1975
Dear BusinessTravel1975,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. Unfortunately during the time that you stayed with us we had essential work that needed to be done in order to maintain our garage area. This work was required to maintain our facility in a safe and usable manner for our guests. We try to ensure that work of this nature is conducted at times that will least effect our guests experience and I regret we were unable to provide you with the experience you had expected. I am confident that if you choose to stay with us again in the future we will be able to provide you with accomodations and service that will meet all of your expectations.

Buffalo, New York, United States
Reviewed April 1, 2013

First let me say that while this is a negative review, this isn't the worst place to stay, and maybe The Windsor Suites will learn from negative reviews such as this one and improve their customer service skills, and will end up being the perfect place for you and your friends/family to stay while visiting Philadelphia. Unfortunately for me and my friend, we were very disappointed.

The first unpleasant surprise was that parking for this hotel costs you almost $40 / day, and this WAS NOT made clear to us upon booking. I understand that this is a hotel in a large city, and that's par for the course with most city hotels, in ANY city, but still, it should have been said so we could plan to spend almost an additional $200 on the hotel alone. That's bad business, plain and simple, yet that alone could have been overlooked had we been treated as valued guests instead of a burden on the hotel staff, particularly at the front desk.

After giving up our vehicle to the valet ramp staff, still smarting from realizing we were going to drop another $200 on the hotel, we were told that our room wasn't ready yet, which is understandable -- we were trying to check in a half hour early. However, in my past experiences, EVERY hotel that hasn't had a room ready for early check in has AT LEAST made accommodations to take our luggage or suggest that we sit down at their restaurant for lunch while we wait or SOMETHING to acknowledge that we just traveled a LOOONG way, and travel times can change according to traffic, weather, rest stops, etc. If we're early, then no, we're not guaranteed a room to check-in to right away, but don't just turn us away, especially when we're still reeling from a surprise $200 fee. A customer service job, unfortunately, means you kiss butt at times and apologize when you're not in the wrong because you need to appease the customer. It sucks, yeah, but if you want to keep a customer, that's how you do it.

Instead, the front desk staff bluntly told us, "Your room isn't ready yet. Check in time is in half an hour." There was certainly no sympathy from them, no small talk to make us feel welcome in a new city (which most front desk staff at hotels engage in -- and it's appreciated, even if it's something as simple as, "Oh, where are you from? How was the drive?"), which again isn't a requirement, but when a customer already feels put out, it can serve to diffuse a tense situation. But no, we were told to sit and wait.

When our room was finally ready, we were given a luggage trolley and were expected to load our own luggage up, try to fit the full trolley plus ourselves in a tiny elevator (they even told us how to wheel the trolley in so that we'd fit), and we were floored. First, there's an extra $200 charge for parking that we didn't know about, then the front desk staff treated us like we were a thorn in their side, and now we have to load our own luggage and take it up to the room ourselves?? To add insult to injury, they watched us struggling to fit inside the elevator instead of coming over and helping us. Unacceptable, especially for the price we paid. Again, and I hate to sound like a broken record, in EVERY hotel I've stayed in, from the five star down to the crappiest place I've stayed (a hotel in Virgina Beach, circa 1997), I have NEVER had to take my own luggage up EVER. Talk about a train wreck of bad feelings, right from our first step in the hotel!

Additionally, when we went to check out, again we were responsible for our own luggage, and it wasn't until we actively complained that someone finally offered to help us, and by that time we were both furious. All it would have taken to diffuse that anger would have been a kind word or a helping hand. I don't know if this hotel doesn't use bellhops or if they were all on break the days we checked in and out of hotel, but we were floored at how we were treated.

Now that I've ripped into this place, let me tell you the pluses, because there are quite a few!

First, our room was very nice (and clean!) -- we had a large closet PLUS a huge walk-in closet with a safe. There was a small table and a couple of chairs outside of the kitchen, which was nice. The bathroom was gorgeous, and there was an extra counter with a mirror outside of the bathroom for more counter space, so if you need a mirror and outlets for hair dryers or whatever, you're not confined to the bathroom if someone else needs to use it.

The kitchen deserves its own paragraph! FULL kitchen, including a stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge, sink, coffee maker, and garbage disposal! There were nice cupboards, already stocked with plates, bowls, pots and pans, silverware, glassware, etc. There were even ice trays in the freezer of the fridge! Definitely a wonderful set-up, especially if you have to stay for a few weeks or months for whatever reason.

The beds were comfortable, the room was spacious, there were lots of lights, and a nice desk, too. The view from our room was pretty good -- there were office buildings, but we could see down to the streets below, and it was nice (unlike a city like New York where your view might be of the alley between your hotel and the building next to it). Also, we didn't get a lot of street noise in our room, either, affording us both a good night's sleep. That's worth mentioning.

Really, if you want to stay in Philly and perhaps save some money by preparing your own food, this hotel would be perfect for you. Maybe we caught them on an off week, because most of the other reviews for this hotel are pretty good. If they upped their customer service skills, I'd easily give this hotel four stars out of five.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laura M
Dear Laura M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Philadelphia. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your experience while a guest at our hotel. Without this important feedback we would be unable to improve our services and meet and exceed our guests’ expectations. So first and foremost thank you sincerely for giving us that opportunity.

We deeply regret that you were not satisfied with your arrival experience at the garage and front desk and that our service failed to meet your expectations. I apologise that you were not imformed about the additional charge for parking. We make every effort to try and anticipate all of our guests needs and I am sorry that you were not made aware of this cost prior to your arrival. We expect all of our team members to be polite, friendly and welcoming in a sincere and genuine manner. And if this did not occur then we dropped the ball in this instance and for that i am very sorry. As you may have noticed during your stay, we are in the process of updating and renovating the entire hotel, and included in this process is a revamping of our entire service standards as well. It is equally important to us, if not more so, that our service standards meet the quality and expectations that we have placed on the physical attributes of the hotel. We are currently in the process of implementing a new training program, company wide that stresses the importance on all of the characteristics that you mentioned in your review, politeness, attentiveness and charm, and we will continue to emphasize that training moving forward. It is with this kind of feedback that we are able to make this training more tangible and effective. I would like to again apologize on behalf of all of us at The Windsor Suites for this negative impression that you had with our front desk team. I know that we can do better.

I am confident that given another opportunity to have you as our guest here at the Windsor Suites, we can meet your expectations, if not exceed them.

I look forward to hopefully having you as our guest again in the future.