“Great Location - But Few Real Amenities”
Review of The Windsor Suites

Ranked #6 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful. It is in a great location, but it is a true "suite" hotel. There was a well-equipped kitchen that we really didn't need for our short stay. We thought the price was a touch high for a hotel that had no real hang-out area in its lobby and few, in any amenities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My friend and I spent a night at Windsor Suites, just in town to visit the Barnes Foundation. Our room was enormous with a full kitchen and 2 walk-in closets. the beds were comfortable and the front-desk staff was helpful.

In the morning, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Con Murphy's pub which is attached.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Given that two of my recent stays in Philadelphia were in rooms that were 200 square feet each, it was a pleasure to have all of the space afforded by a suite at The Windsor. The staff at check-in were very friendly, and the upgrade to the even larger suite than I had booked was greatly appreciated. Having a full kitchen was perfect, as a quick run to the grocery store allowed me to make all my meals in the room (although the on-site restaurants looked good as well). The bed was extremely comfortable, and the suite had THREE walk-in closets. As the building is both a hotel and regular apartments, the elevators sometime took a bit longer than expected but this was not a major concern. Great location, just blocks from major businesses, City Hall, Logan Square and Reading Terminal Market. As others have noted, the walls are a bit thin (more obvious during the current construction) but was not a major nuisance. If the rates are reasonable when booking my next stay, I would definitely make a return visit!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank traveltime841
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've stayed at the Windsor a bunch of times while in Philadelphia and I REALLY like it.

There are really large rooms with full kitchens, which makes it perfect for families traveling on a budget. I regularly run up to the markets in the ComCast Center or to the Whole Foods that is about 6 blocks away to stock up on food that I then eat back in the room, saving us from having to eat out all the time.

It's also just a few short blocks away from neat sites like the Reading Terminal Market and the old Capital building -- making it a good spot for tourists, too.

This visit was disappointing to me, though.

The bathtub in my room wasn't draining well -- like 65 minutes or more just to get one tub's worth of water to drain -- and we found a cockroach in the bathroom.

Also, the front desk staff that is on duty at night don't have the ability to negotiate reduced rates when those kinds of things happen and the hotel is sold out. That meant I was forced to wait around in the morning of our departure until the manager showed up so I could talk to him about an adjustment because of the inconvenience.

When I finally got to talk to a manager, he was understanding and apologetic and he provided me with a discount for both nights of my stay that I thought was fair.

But I missed a part of my morning meeting simply because there was no one on site that could make the adjustment until he got there.

So the polish has been rubbed off the Windsor a bit for me. I love the location. I love the size of the room. I thought the rate was fair. The full kitchen saves me money. There's free wifi.

But there were problems this time -- and while the solutions were easy, no one was there to help when I needed it.

Room Tip: They are renovating their rooms from the ground up -- so ask for a room on a lower floor and you'...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank wferriter
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Wferriter,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We do appreciate your loyalty and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. They have been addressed with the departments involved. We are also reviewing with our staff our procedures for achieving guest satisfaction, and we are confident that the problem you encountered will not recur.
We look forward to your next visit, so that we can remind you of the reasons you have been our repeat guest. Thank you again for choosing The Windsor Suites.
Best regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Traveled to Philly over the holidays with my family, including my 4 year old son. The hotel staff is incredible: friendly, super-helpful and very organized. We were able to drop off our luggage early and park the car with no hassles, so we could enjoy a day of wandering around. Speaking of that...the hotel is in a prime location! Just a few blocks away from City Hall, the Reading Terminal Market, and a nice, comfortable walk to the Old City and/or the PMA. The hotel was clean and comfortable, priced VERY nicely, and the restaurant downstairs worked well for us after a couple of tiring days. The kitchen served us well also, saving a bit of $$ and time.

The valet parking is a bit pricey but in retrospect and knowing how difficult it is to park in this city, It was well worth it. I'd stay here again - in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gerald r

Dear Gerald r,
We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and for posting your comments. As you experienced, our location is convenient to all the popular sites and our amenities perfect for your stay with your family. We look forward to your next visit.
Thank you, and best regards.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Downtown hotels in cities can be very pricey and this one was not. we stayed there because our daughter was performing at the Philadelphia Art Museum and she was also staying in this hotel. But we found it to be the perfect place for the weekend. The kitchen was the best part as we were able to have our morning coffee and breakfast in the room. The nearby Whole Foods supplied the ingredients for breakfast, and that was helpful. Bed was comfortable, towels were thick and absorbent, iron and ironing board available, and it was two blocks from the train we took from the airport. Easy entry to the city--soo accessible. The only problem was the thin walls (so we heard the TV next door late at night) and the noise of construction in the building on the day we departed, but otherwise, we were pleased. The bar on the first floor served good wines for about $4 a glass. Not luxurious, but a hotel where you were comfortable walling around on the carpet barefoot--not often found in a hotel at this price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank super-intrepid

Dear Super-intrepid,
Thank you for your thorough review of your stay here at The Windsor Suites. We are happy when our guests leave happy, and it seems that you were pleased with your accommodations. We are often told that our fully equipped kitchens are a money saver for guests who do not mind preparing their own breakfast, especially since we have so many stores like Whole Foods nearby for the ingredients. We are glad you found this to be true.
We thank you for choosing us, and we hope you will consider us again on your next visit to Philadelphia.
Best regards!
The Windsor Suites.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

After we exited the Suburban Station (corner of JFK and 17th Street) of SEPTA from the airport we walked down 17th street. After two blocks we came upon Windsor Suites at the corner of Ben Franklin Parkway and 17th st. Very convenient!!
Check in was fast, friendly and helpful.
Our room on the 8th floor facing the Parkway was large with two double beds, two closets--one a large walk in) a galley kitchen with a stove, sink and microwave and many cooking and eating utensils. The redecoration was done with very good taste as evidenced by the choice of wall paper design and color. The old style wooden furniture showed their age with many scuff marks and dings but to me at least those added to the charm of the room. The bathroom was a winner too as the tiles are in very good taste as well as the porcelain and chrome fixtures. Well done. The towels were large, thick and very absorbent. At first I thought they were the legendary Turkish towels but they were made in Pakistan. Well done!!
On Monday morning we heard the sounds of hammer drills and jackhammers start at around 9:00 am. They sounded as if they were right in our room. Turns out they were two doors down where the whole room and its furniture were being replaced. Good thing we checked out soon after.
Bottom line: this is not a fancy, schmansy venue but will meet your needs if you need to be in the central part of the city. There is a cafe/bar serving Thai fusion dishes and another bar/bistro right across in the entrance vestibule. So no need to even step outside for sustenance.
And the location cannot be beat at this price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up-it may be away from the redecoration noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Tatliturk,
We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for sharing your comments. Our location and it's convenience seemed to have worked well for you. I wanted to take the opportunity to let you know that we are in the process of replacing our furniture for newer, more modern pieces that I am confident you will enjoy on your next visit.
Thank you again for choosing The Windsor Suites!