“Good price & location”

Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Omaha, Nebraska
“Good price & location”
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Because we are a family of five, many hotels would not accommodate us, but Windsor Suites did. I'll be honest, I'm kind of a hotel snob and prefer to stay in newer or newly renovated hotels. At first, when we entered our room, I was disappointed because it seemed to have an odor. However, after the first day, I got more used to the smell and we came to the conclusion that it was from different cooking smells in the building. They don't have the greatest of ventilation systems. For the room and location, the price was probably pretty good. It's about a block from Logan Square and two blocks from the old city hall. Also, it is on the route for the Phlash bus which is convenient for sightseeing. It is also a pretty easy walk to Reading Terminal (about 6 blocks). Our room was not stocked with enough towels, coffee, or sheets or blankets for the pull out couch. However, the front desk was very helpful whenever we needed anything and staff was very quick to respond to our requests. The rooms have been renovated, although the workmanship might not be top notch, it was ok. Our kids enjoyed the novelty of the roof top pool. This hotel gives a discount to people who are going to Shriners Hospital. Kudos in our book.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank D J
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear DJ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at The Windsor Suites. I have noted your comments on the workmanship, and I am happy to let you know that we are currently improving those areas. Please accept our apologies for the lack of adequate supplies in your room. This has been brought to the attention of our housekeeping staff so that it does not recur. I am happy to note that our staff was responsive to all your requests, and that you found our location convenient for shopping and sightseeing, as well as our rooftop swimming pool.
Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Philadelphia.
The Windsor Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Adelphi, Maryland
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at The Windsor Suites a couple weekends ago on my visit to Philadelphia. I've never been to Philadelphia before so I chose this hotel because of its location, inside downtown Philadelphia. I especially loved being only a five-minute walking distance from the Love Park (a very popular attraction) and Logan Square. But not only did I enjoy all that Philadelphia had to offer, but I also enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Great staff, and although most people found this hotel to be rather dated, I personally didn't find it to be that way. Beautiful hotel room. My favorite part of the hotel was the rooftop pool, which gave a breathtaking view of the city. Lots of fun! I would without hesitation stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KaMaria B
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear KaMaria,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback of your stay here with us. We are thrilled when our guests tell us that they enjoy our hotel, as it means we are doing something right. We are happy you were able to take advantage of the convenience of our location to Philly's many places of interest, most of which are in walking distance.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Windsor Suites very soon. Thank you again for your review, and for staying with us.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We found that for the location, the price was very affordable and the accommodations were great - very clean rooms of a good size. Only complaint was that they didn't have toothpaste available at the front desk even though we forgot it - had to pay $4 at the vending machine for a kit (go to the CVS 3 blocks away instead of making that mistake!).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay here at The Windsor Suites. While we are sorry we do not stock certain items at the Front Desk, we are happy that our Guest Amenity Center was able to offer you the convenience of acquiring it from the vending machines.
Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to having you return soon.
Seattle
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We (my wife and younger adult son) stayed here for two weeks in May. Suite was clean and spacious; kitchen facilities very good. Bed was uncomfortable though as one rolled in towards the center over time! Room service was erratic at times; often we had to call down for towels, etc for the third person; then, we would get double allotments. Location was definitely convenient to the museums, to the subway/train station, to the historic sites, etc. A new visitor's center is just a couple of blocks away in a beautiful pocket park where one can have coffee and plot out the day. Always felt safe in this vicinity whether day or evening.

Room Tip: Face towards City Hall or the Philadelphia Museum of Art for great views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Walthorticulture,
We appreciate you staying with us, and for taking the time to comment on your stay. It seems that our service and bedding did not quite meet your standards and for that we apologise. Comments like yours help us to improve our service, as we will use this as a training tool to improve.
Thank you again for choosing The Windsor Suites. We hope you'll stay with us again soon.
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed 8 nights in a one bedroom apartment, and got to see this hotels strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:

Great location for walking and public transportation; no car needed to get anywhere in Philadelphia, including the airport if you use SEPTA's Suburban Station, two blocks away.

Spacious suite, with fully equipped kitchen. We ate breakfast 'at home' every morning, which was a great way to start the day. Had friends over for cake and ice cream one night, and reheated some restaurant leftovers for lunch and dinner a couple of times. Dishwasher soap provided as part of housekeeping

Very friendly front desk staff. They genuinely want to help, and were almost always able to fix problems.

Large in-room safe, big enough to hold two laptops and other valuables.

Quiet rooms with excellent sound insulation from within the hotel. You could hear sirens and construction noise from outside the hotel, but this did not keep me awake at night.

Weaknesses:

Renovations to old building appear to have been done without enough skill. Towel rack came out of the wall in the bathroom; soap dish fell off the wall during our stay. Towel rack was reconnected twice in 8 days, soap dish took two days to get fixed. Nothing seems to have been properly anchored in the renovations - from the racks to the dishwasher and microwave - everything was coming loose.

Housekeeping was inconsistent, and understaffed. We couldn't check in until 7:30 pm because of a backlog of rooms that needed cleaning on July 6. We were given chits for beer or wine in the bar at 'Asia on the Parkway' which was nice, and then breakfast vouchers, which we never used because we liked using our kitchen to eat in instead. Some days, we didn't get two sets of towels. We ran out of toilet paper once, and the bed was sometimes made properly, and sometimes not.

Bed was barely ok, not very comfortable. The king sized mattress was uneven, and had a sag in the middle.

Wi-fi service is irregular. It works ok most of the time, but is not fully reliable. Password was changed during our stay, and I called down to the desk and was told that they would call back with the new password. They never did.

Bottom line: This hotel is half the price of the major brand names in downtown Philadelphia. If you decide to stay, you'll need to adjust expectations and be prepared for the inconsistencies and irritations that come with staying at an older property with quirks and maintenance needs. The longer you stay, the more likely you are to encounter problems.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Human44
TheWindsorMgtTeam, Director of Sales at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Human44,
Thank you for a thorough review of your stay here with us. We have reviewed your comments with our department heads so that the weaknesses you pointed out are addressed. We do apologize that they detracted from your stay. We are continuing to work on our room upgrades, and our wifi delivery service has been recently changed. We are happy to say that we have been receiving great feedback since then.
Thank you also for our strengths that you acknowledged. Our location is amazing, and our staff's number one goal is to make our guests happy.
Thank you again for taking the time to offer your feedback. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed here with a few friends from out of town. At some point during the night, an unauthorized guest was given access to a car that was not in my name, but a rental of my guest and was allowed access to my room without anyone notifying me! It's definitely a beautiful hotel with a great location, but I was very shocked that no one would notify me or confirm that this person WHO'S NAME WAS NOT ON THE RESERVATION came to our room and took "her" belongings! The hotel manager Jamie Brown was not proactive and I had to call 3 times only to hear an "oh well" and "yes, it is unacceptable".

The professionalism here was non-existant. Jamie claimed that since his security stated that he watched this girl take her things out of my room, there is nothing else I can do about my other guests' claims of missing items.

Truly dissapointing!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alicia B
, Manager at The Windsor Suites, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Alicia,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay here at The Windsor Suites.

While we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites and our location, we would like to address your concerns. I want to assure you that our staff and management team holds the safety, security, and comfort of our guests with the highest regard. We are glad that our staff took the proper precautions to ensure your safety as our licenses, bonded, and insured overnight security personnel escorted a member of your party to your hotel suite to collect her items .

The Windsor Suites holds all employees to high integrity and professional standards in order to maintain the wellbeing of our guests. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly should you require further assistance with this matter.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to enjoy our true Windsor Suites experience.

Many thanks,
The Windsor Staff and Management Team
Hawaii
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I made reservations at the Windsor because it was the only hotel that would accommodate our party of 6 (4 adults and 2 young children)... other hotels would have required me to reserve two rooms thus increasing my tight budget. It ended up being the most affordable hotel within the heart of all the city attractions. I mean, this hotel is located at the center of everything... my view outside was the 'Rocky' steps at one end... and City Hall with the Love Fountain at the other end. It was perfect walking distance to everything... especially to our favorite attraction of all - Reading Terminal Market to fill all our food cravings (best food we've eaten during our entire east coast trip). The room was perfect and I was pleased with everything. The suites are spacious with large closets... so big that I joked each closet was a special tiny room for each of my sons. We enjoyed the rooftop pool as well, especially during the heat wave. Staff was very friendly, lobby nicely decorated and clean, and Irish Pub downstairs was a plus for late night drinks. We only stayed one night and would definitely stay at the Windsor on our return visit to Philly. I would recommend this place to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KuniaJewel
Dear KuniaJewel,
Thank you for staying with us at The Windsor Suites, and for your beautiful review of your stay. We are thrilled that our hotel was able to accommodate your family, and that you were pleased with our accommodations. Our location is so convenient to the popular Philadelphia sights, and we are happy you were able to recognize that as well.
Thank you again for staying with us and for your review. We hope to see you again soon.