La Reserve Center City Bed and Breakfast
$179
$160
$229
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgrand damehunt roomrittenhouse squarepine streetsaratoga suiteweekend breakfastshared bathroomheritage roomliving roomprivate bathfellow guestswithin walking distancefirst floorexcellent breakfastexecutive suitea wonderful place to stayfew blocks
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Be aware that this inn allows very young children. When I reserved the La Chateau room for 5 nights in March, I never expected to hear a screaming and crying one-year-old in the adjacent room, but that's exactly what happened. It was the worst experience my husband and I have ever had at a B&B. Every inn we've ever stayed at had a policy that children be at least 10 or 12 years old, and some require that children be at least 16. All B&Bs require that children be well-behaved. That's why I want to warn people that this inn allows very young children and hopefully, I can prevent someone else's stay from being ruined the way ours was. Which is a real shame, because the inn is homey and comfortable, and the staff is friendly and very helpful.

We were in Philly to attend a conference with over 20,000 attendees at the convention center, so the hotels and most of the B&Bs were booked weeks in advance. The La Chateau was the only room available at the La Reserve for the 5 nights we were staying in Philly, so I reserved it. The website says that the La Chateau is a quiet room on the back of the house that shares a bathroom with the Marquis room. But it also has an adjoining door to the Marquis room. It's just a single wooden door, not a double door like hotels have between adjoining rooms. There's no insulation around that door to block out the sound coming into the La Chateau room from the Marquis room. We heard every sound that was made in the Marquis room, and that child's crying and screaming came through that door loud and clear.

The innkeeper had her staff put towels under that adjoining door on both sides, and she told the parents they had to keep the child quiet after 10:00 at night. But still, the second floor of the inn sounded like a day care center. We avoided being in our room during the day, and we stayed down in the parlor in the evening until we couldn’t hear the screaming and crying coming from the Marquis room above the parlor. Then we’d sneak upstairs to the La Chateau room to sleep, and hope that the child didn’t wake us up during the night with her crying, but she did.

The innkeeper did refund 20% of our total bill, and the staff was very apologetic. The innkeeper told us after we left that she and the owner had decided not to allow children younger than 3 years of age in their rooms that share a bath.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wendy B
Sherri H, General Manager at La Reserve Center City Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and I very much regret your disturbing experience during your stay with La Reserve.

We do permit young guests to stay in our establishment, however, it is a rarity. When we do, we require, and assured by the parents that the young guests are well behaved and well supervised.

This is the first time that we've had a young guest stay in a standard room with close proximity to other rooms. Most of our rooms occupy an entire floor, away from the noise levels of other rooms.

This experience has taught us a lesson. And as a result are revising our house policies for young guests, to include the restrictions of occupation in our standard rooms.

We hope that you will give us another chance. We will definitely take good care of you.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Came for the Flower show and picked this b and b. Perfect for a couple, had a ground floor suite with kitchen. Relaxing at the end of long days - superb walkabout neighborhood of art, music, architecture, food of all sorts. Location unbeatable. Friendly staff, continental breakfast that included yogurt, eggs, fresh scones et al. Like having our own condo in a great city neighborhood. BRAVO! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Take the suites if you can't manage stairs. Piano if you like to play.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank buschal
Reviewed March 5, 2013

A friend from out of town wanted a night out in the city. Didn't want to pay too much for just a place to crash but Flower Show was in town so our options were limited. We searched and called a few places but didn't have much luck. SO glad we found this treasure! Beautiful, clean, well-maintained, updated and decorated to a high standard. Receptionist was very hospitable and helpful--even for a last-minute reservation. Breakfast was fresh and homey. Location is great just blocks from Rittenhouse square restaurants, bars and shopping but feels remote in a beautiful old neighborhood. I'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Clean, friendly, all amenities in the room you could need, excellent breakfast and good offers on rooms. Thanks to you all, wish we could have stayed for longer!

One suggestion would be to get larger bath towels :-)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My name is Jessica and I have to write my opinion of La Reserve. I stayed there couple times and its a piece of heaven. The large hotels have nothing over them except the high hotel price. It's everything you need to make yourself at home. Its clean, homely and the staff will go the extra mile to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible. Looks are deceiving, when I walked by outside, it did not seemed all that to me, but once I go in it was something else.

If you are looking for a time out, a place to stay for a night or whatever your reason, just go to La Reserve. I will not try to convince you anymore, you need to go check it out yourself. GO!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, only thing is a few has two shared bathroom ,but you don't have to share, most rooms have own bath. A beautiful place I tell you.
Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business