“Bad and good”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed here this past weekend. Was really looking forward to it after reading all the reviews. Was really impressed with the staff. They were very friendly and knowledgeable and I have absolutely no issues with them at all.

We were given our room after check in and the 1st thing we noticed was a smell in it. I, at first, was thinking it is just the cleaning supplies they use, but my husband brought to my attention it smelled more like someone had gotten sick in the room. We looked around and could find nothing to confirm that (not that the smell wouldn't linger for days afterwards anyway).

The room was small, and the bathroom was about the smallest I've seen - it was hard not to hit your head on the sink when you are on the commode. The shower/tub however was clean. Hot water was in endless supply and the water pressure was probably the best I've had at any hotel/motel/inn. The room itself aside from the smell seemed clean. By that I mean, no visible dust, but the rugs were obviously old and stained and the sheets and comforter had holes in them, some repaired, some not. I had no view whatsoever. I didn't hear too much from adjoining rooms, so I guess the rooms are pretty sound proof.

The breakfast was okay with cereals, croissants, danishes, bagels, raisin bread, fruits etc, etc. They definetely kept up with the supply through out the breakfast time which was until 12 - which is impressive compared to other places.

However, the "snacks available 24 hrs" is pretty much just left over danishes etc. from the morning - in my opinion anyway.

The neighborhood is charming - - loved the neighborhood and it was centrally located to everything.

I do have some other issues with the inn, but because I do not have solid proof of these "issues" I can not fairly state them.

I personally will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank city2country

Reviewed August 30, 2007

We absolutely loved the Alexander Inn. We were given a delightful corner room on the 7th floor that had the most amazing view of Philadelphia. The children and I went to sleep with the blinds pulled up so that we could enjoy seeing Ben Franklin on top of City Hall along with the skyline view. Friendly staff, good breakfast. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Onyvarichmondva
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I recently stayed at the Alexander Inn for one night with my husband and my parents. It was a brief stay, but I would probably go back to the Inn, considering the good price and clean rooms. The innkeeper, John, was a delight to talk to and definitely made for a welcoming and entertaining host. The staff was overall very friendly and helpful.

However one complaint - our mattress had a thick plastic covering on it, making for a very noisy bed!! We inquired about this at the reception desk and they seemed puzzled about this and said that they would look into it and remove it. When we got back to our room after being out for the evening (5-6 hours after we asked) the plastic covering was still on. When my husband and i tried to take it off, we found that underneath one plastic covering was another - the original plastic packaging from IKEA!
We told the innkeeper at breakfast and he apologized - still irritating though!

The 2 computers for guest use in the basement exercise room are a nice touch.

Overall, i would return for the fun artwork in the rooms, nice neighbohood, reasonable price and fun lobby but the hotel needs to work just a bit on their service if they want to be the "boutique" hotel that they claim to be. They have the right personalities for it, now they just have to follow through!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lubumbashi13
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I stayed at the Alexander Inn for 4 nites in April & was quite pleased with the overall experience. It is not the Ritz Carlton, but for $119.00 per nite right in center city, Philadelphia, you can't beat the value. The place is an older boutique hotel that is updated, clean & modern in most amenities. The rooms are small to medium size but comfortable & clean. The location is within walking distance to most everything in Center City & is in a quaint neighborhood with lots of nice restaurants & shops. This is in more of a residential neighborhood where people actually live, rather than a bustling downtown area with alot of noise & traffic. There is some traffic noise with the window open, but, you are in the city. The staff is very knowledgable about the area & very helpful with guests' needs. The breakfast is a nice continental breakfast for a quick bite to eat before exploring the city of brotherly love. It does not intend to be a full breakfast bar by any means. Overall, the Alexander Inn is a great bargain in Center City. If you want to pay 50-100.00 more a nite, go ahead. This was a great hotel in a great area for not a lot of money...

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robertwcook
Reviewed August 14, 2007

There are good and bad things about the Alexander Inn. Overall, I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to a friend to stay here.

Good aspects:

*Nice neighbourhood (in fact the gay neighbourhood with many cafes and bars)

*Close to city centre

*Friendy & helpful staff

Bad aspects:

*Old and a little filthy carpets/interiors, etc.

*No desks in the rooms (try to work on your bed the whole day)

*Very small rooms

*The gym is tiny

*Wireless Internet keeps breaking down

*No fridge in the rooms!

I stayed at the Holiday Inn (Walnut) my first night. The room was a little more expensive but 3 times higher quality. So if I wasd to return to Philly, I would rather stay at the Holiday Inn....

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We read about the Alexander Inn here on Trip Advisor and decided to book a room directly through the hotel instead of Hotwiring for our one-night stay on Aug. 8. We booked one of the large corner rooms, which was attractive and spacious. My husband and I were traveling with our two children and our babysitter, so we expected the accommodation to be a bit tight, but the room was large enough to make us pretty comfortable. We would have preferred queen-size beds to the double beds, but we knew what we were getting when we reserved the room.

The hotel's location is fantastic. We had been to Philadelphia before and stayed in the historic area, right near Independence Hall, so it was nice to see a different side of the city. There are trendy restaurants all around, a vibrant night life, though interestingly enough not many options for families with young children. There is a Cosi restaurant not too far away that we went to for lunch, but when we asked the gentleman at the front desk to suggest a child-friendly restaurant for dinner, he was at a loss and said the only child-friendly option would be a chain restaurant such as Olive Garden or Chile's a number of blocks away. We ended up finding a GREAT pizza place (NYPD Pizza) that served one of the best pizzas we'd ever had, and we brought the pizza back to the hotel and ate there and enjoyed the cable and wifi. Otherwise, the guys at the front desk were quite helpful.

The hotel's fitness center is small but has everything you need for a good workout. The wifi is a bit spotty, but we found one side of the room that had a stronger signal than the other. The bathroom was great -- excellent water pressure -- and the hotel was generous with its towels and toiletry products.

My one disappointment was with breakfast: For a continental breakfast, it was a large spread. The bagels, pastries, waffles, fruit, cereal and yogurt gave my kids plenty of options, but anyone (like myself) looking for a healthy, low-carb start to the day was out of luck. My husband called it "Carbolicious." It would have been nice to have whole-wheat bread and peanut butter or sugar-free yogurt as options (eggs and sausage would have been REALLY great!).

Regarding price: The website lists the room rate as $159. Because our babysitter was with us, the hotel increased the rate by $12, to make the total $171. And once the taxes and other charges were added in, our total came to $205, including parking. We felt that this was still a good rate considering the location of the hotel and the quality of the accommodations; however, it was still a surprise to see the final bill.

Overall we were happy with our experience at the Alexander Inn and will return, especially for a no-kids weekend so that we can enjoy some of the great restaurants nearby!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Nerf
Reviewed July 25, 2007

The Alexander Inn is in a great location, the rooms are very clean and beautifully designed, and the staff is friendly. The wifi is excellent. It's a good place to stay if you are on business and need to spend some time in the room working.

I know everyone complains about "paper thin walls" in hotels, but this place had the most ambient noise from inside the hotel I have ever experienced. Alarm clocks going off at all hours (apparently in unoccupied rooms), TV sets, conversations ... it was disruptive.

Despite these problems, I would definitely stay again. It's tough to find urban lodging as thoughtfully designed as this inn at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business