1,461 results
All reviewsboutique hotelbay windowcontinental breakfasthard boiled eggswithin walking distanceyogurtdiscounted parkingcenter citysingle roomrooms are smallfew blockskimmel centergreat boutiquewalked everywherechain hotelssouth streetnice breakfast
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My girlfriends and I stayed at the Alexander Inn from April 13 – 15, 2007 for a Girlfriend’s Weekend. The people at the Inn, especially Warren and John (You will meet them at the Front Desk.), are so helpful, friendly, polite and any other nice adjectives. We stayed in rooms 203 and 306. Initially I believe they wanted to give us rooms side by side but because we needed to check in early, about 12 pm (check-in is 3 pm) only one room was available. Both rooms were cozy standard queen rooms. Room 203 was in a good location because as soon as you stepped out of the room, to your right was a set of stairs that led to the third floor. This allowed our friend to come and go from our room without having to use the elevator. Please note these stairs are not behind a door at the end of the building. They are no doors to the stairs; they only go from floor to floor (not a from the top of the building to the bottom); and they are in the middle of the building.

I did not hear anything coming from the other rooms, but I could hear the street life (cars, people talking, etc.). This did not bother me as I tend to be a heavy sleeper, but my friend said around 2 a.m. she could hear slightly rowdy people outside.

The Inn provides a contentintal breakfast daily and fruit and pastries as snacks.

There are two computers in the basement in the fitness room that have free Internet access. It costs nothing to print boarding passes or trip itineraries. It will cost you $1.00 per page to print anything else.

The location is AMAZING! We were within walking distance of theaters such as the Kimmel Center and Merriam Theater; shopping such as Macy’s and Antique Row; and many, many restaurants. If something was not within walking distance it is very easy to get a taxi. In addition, Warren or John can call one for you.

I will definitely stay here again! The cost was very reasonable, impressive actually, considering the amount of money some of the chain hotels charge. Book early if you would like to stay here because there are only 48 rooms.

I forgot to mention, in my opinion, this is not a family Inn. We did not hear any children. It is GREAT for business travelers, couples, girlfriend getaways, etc. As stated the rooms are cozy. If you need a spacious room then book VERY early to get a Double/Double room. There are only 7 available.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank NJSpiceGirl26
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Wonderful neighborhood location, charming rooms and very helpful staff. This was a first visit to Philadelphia and we fell in love with the city. The parking is just a little of a hassel but follow their directions carefully and there is minimal problem. The enterance to the Inn is on 12th and there is generally loading parking available across the street from the front door or you will just park to the right side of the one-way street with hazard lights on until you unload. The parking garage is just two blocks away.

Our room was small and older but immaculately clean and charmingly decorated. The bed was very comfortable.
The staff were friendly and helpful from reservations to check-in and during our entire stay. They gave very helpful information to tourist venues, dining locations and driving directions when we checked out.

Very good breakfast of juice, coffee, tea, cereal, fresh fruit, a variety of pastries and breads. Also a lovely room to enjoy breakfast or later, a place to read, relax and enjoy a snack. Fresh fruit was available always.

We look forward to returning to this friendly well run Inn.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scannon
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We stayed at The Alexander Inn over Easter, and found that it was the employees, especially the friendly and helpful gentlemen at the Front Desk, who truly made this Inn fabulous. They're a fun, jovial, helpful crew and take the time to make each visitor feel welcome. Listen to their recommendations on bars and restaurants, they won't steer you wrong. We enjoyed wonderful dinners and cheap, tasty strong martinis thanks to them.

I've read reviews prior to booking that the Alexander was gay-friendly, but what I think really needs to be said about it is that it's *people* friendly. We felt welcome there in a way you don't when you stay at a major chain. The cleanliness, computer access, gym, and the inexpensive rates were all nice features too, but it was the employees who made the difference.

Yes, all of the reviews you read about the tiny rooms and beds are true. And, yes, the Continental Breakfast is mostly sugar (but the coffee wasn't bad). But all in all, I'd highly recommend The Alexander. If you love to explore a city on foot as we do the location is great for a walking tour. Philly is a walking friendly city, even for those not in the best shape or older. It's flat, full of interesting sites, with convenient crosswalks. And if you're a walker, and not on a strict time itinerary, why not take the train into town? It's a cheap ride (but they do usually run a late, from my experience, so if you need to be there at an exact time, it won't be a good choice for you). The Alexander is only two miles from the train station, and it's an quick jaunt, easily handled with a wheeled suitcase or backpack. That way you'll avoid parking problems and save money on parking too boot! It's all extra money for cheese-steaks (wit' or wit' out onions).

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ekatkos
Reviewed April 7, 2007

Having read the many positive reveiws, and ignoring the whiners, I went and booked the Alexander Inn - what a wonderful stay, I say. Well-located, well-maintained and reasonably priced (I booked my room prior to the rate increase, but they still honored the lower one), this is a real find in a great location, on the corner of Spruce and 12th - walking distance from the subway (Broad Street) and the extraordinary Kimmel Center.

Upon entry is an ornate lobby with interesting artwork, plush seating and a fireplace. To the right is the breakfast room where the free continental breakfast is available every morning. To the left is the reception. Downstairs is a fitness room and internet access.

My room, though small, was clean and comfortable, and had bay windows overlooking 12th Street. It seems to have been part of a larger room in the building's previous life. One minor issue is that the aforementioned street can get busy with traffic, including the Number 23 bus that runs past, and the many drunks staggering home from nearby McGillin's Ale House, an historical gem in itself. In any case, not the fault of management and certainly nothing to distract from this recommended hotel. I would not hesitate to lay my head here again!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank NeedPivo
Reviewed April 5, 2007

My husband and I LOVED the Alexander! Great price, small and intimate, and a perfect Center City location. Front desk service was so friendly and helpful--everyone was a real pleasure to interact with. Very nice full continental breakfast and a couple of computers downstairs with free Internet access (as well as access in the rooms, I believe.) The only things less than perfect were a tiny bathroom and a bed that wasn't the fluffiest, like you get at larger chain hotels. But the atmosphere and service were so great, those things are hardly worth mentioning. We will return to the Alexander every time we visit Philly, as we prepare for a move to this fun, friendly city in a year or so!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business