“Simple Hotel”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 3, 2007

Stayed here for one night for a business trip. Rooms are small but the room is clean. Breakfast is very simple, just coffee, cereal and danishes. Wished that they offered oatmeal. Worst part is that parking is 2 blocks away but it is available at a discount rate from the hotel.

Good news is that staff watches your luggage when you leave your luggage at the hotel while you park the car. In fact they recommend it...

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank Mimi007

Reviewed February 15, 2007

This was a first time stay at this hotel and I very much enjoyed the facility, the reasonable rates that don't fluctuate from day to day,the friendly staff and all the ammenities offered. I would return, or reccomend this to anyone wishing a center city location, with indoor discounted parking nearby. They have a great breakfast buffet and leave it out till !0:30 on weekdays. Free movie channels, comp e-mail computers and other things I did not get to use, like the fitness center. It was very clean and a felt very safe walking around at night. There were restaurants in every direction and they gave a list of different suggestions for each meal. Try it, you'll like it too! Miami Guy!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank melatr
Reviewed February 11, 2007

We stayed only for one night at this small, intimate hotel in an excellent location in downtown Philly. I dropped off my wife and the luggage, checked-in and then had to drive around the block a few times to find an inconvenient public parking garage with reduced rate parking. The walk was more than 2 blocks back to the hotel in the frigid cold.

Our corner Queen room was fairly small, but very nice, newly decorated with funky furniture, wooden blinds, nice drapery and a nice view. We had to call the front desk for soap and shampoo that had been overlooked by the maid. The platform bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet. They allow children, but kids need to be quiet.

I went down to the lobby, looking for the promised complimentary snacks, and was dissapointed when I found some old bagels and danish.

The folks at the front desk were very nice and helpful. I stayed here instead of a deal at the Hyatt, but next time I might opt for a good deal at a different hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PG_Lancaster
Reviewed February 1, 2007

After my wife booked this hotel for our Christmas 2006 stay in Philadelphia, I checked the Tripadvisor web site for reviews. The hotel obviously passed the approval test, but that little gay hotel, and gay neighborhood comment kept popping up and made me wonder if it really mattered. I can assure anyone considering this hotel as an option, that it is a classy place with professional management, in a great neighborhood. We recommend the queen deluxe (which I think was around $149). Our room was spacious, clean, and since it was the top floor on the end, it overlooked the village. The staff went out of their way to draw us maps, give subway info, and make sure all guests were happy. So, don't let that gay thing slow you down if you want a great value in a hotel. These folks were terrific, and have earned our business next time we're in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank FloridaFolks
Reviewed January 31, 2007

Stayed at the Alexander Inn for a weekend in November.

As I frequently do, I used TripAdvisor reviews to find a property that met my criteria of good location in the city (to me that means you can get around easily either on foot or by public transportation) and reasonable price. The Alexander met both of those requirements perfectly. I came in from the airport on the train and it was a short walk (maybe half a mile) from the train station to the Hotel. It was a even shorter little walk to the Kimmel Center where we went 2 nights, once to see the Philadelphia Orchestra, once to see PhilaDanco dance company.

The breakfasts we above average for a continental breakfast bar and there was a very nice man who staffed the breakfast area and he was a great source of local entertainment info and options.

We had the smaller of the queen rooms and it was rather small for 2 people but we were there to see the city, not the hotel room, so that was fine.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MspTripper
Reviewed January 9, 2007

My partner and I were looking for a place that was both cheap and in a central location -- not an easy feat! I saw the reviews on Travel Advisor and it was the only hotel in our price range that had decent reviews. We thought about staying at the Club Quarters, which was similiarly priced, but since the Alexander Inn subsizes their parking and Club Quarters doesn't, we picked Alexander.

And we're so glad we did! The inside is beautiful -- the hotel staff is SO friendly. The room was very clean, and the art over the bed was actually the kind of thing I might have wanted to hang in my own house. The continental breakfast was so so so delicious (the bagels were out of this world) and I felt that the building was well secured and safe.

BUT we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, anyway -- it's located only about three blocks from the historic district, and about as far away from South Street, where there is some great shopping. We bought a Day Pass from SEPTA for $5.50 and bussed/trolley/subwayed all over the city. The neighborhood was very central and (I felt, as a Philadelphia native) very safe.

The next time I come to Philly, I'm DEFINITELY staying here again. They even made these little "business cards" for you with your name and the hotel information on them.

My only complaint (and it's small) is that when I booked the hotel through Expedia, it didn't specify that I was booking at the AAA rate -- which ended up not being a problem, because I do have a AAA membership, but if I didn't it would have ended up costing a lot more than Expedia advertised.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pazzypunk
Reviewed January 6, 2007

Really enjoyed this hotel - lovely boutique hotel in a great location in philadelphia. The staff could not have been more friendly and pleased to help. The room was not huge, but it was very well presented, very clean and perfectly adequate. The breakfast was a help yourself affair and was included in the price - great cinnamon buns!

6 of us stayed there on a recent trip (oct 06) and we all thought it was excellent. There is also a great Cuban restaurant around the corner too!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends