1,460 results
All reviewsboutique hotelbay windowcontinental breakfasthard boiled eggswithin walking distanceyogurtdiscounted parkingcenter citysingle roomrooms are smallfew blockskimmel centergreat boutiquewalked everywherechain hotelssouth streetnice breakfast
Reviewed January 31, 2007

Stayed at the Alexander Inn for a weekend in November.

As I frequently do, I used TripAdvisor reviews to find a property that met my criteria of good location in the city (to me that means you can get around easily either on foot or by public transportation) and reasonable price. The Alexander met both of those requirements perfectly. I came in from the airport on the train and it was a short walk (maybe half a mile) from the train station to the Hotel. It was a even shorter little walk to the Kimmel Center where we went 2 nights, once to see the Philadelphia Orchestra, once to see PhilaDanco dance company.

The breakfasts we above average for a continental breakfast bar and there was a very nice man who staffed the breakfast area and he was a great source of local entertainment info and options.

We had the smaller of the queen rooms and it was rather small for 2 people but we were there to see the city, not the hotel room, so that was fine.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MspTripper
Reviewed January 9, 2007

My partner and I were looking for a place that was both cheap and in a central location -- not an easy feat! I saw the reviews on Travel Advisor and it was the only hotel in our price range that had decent reviews. We thought about staying at the Club Quarters, which was similiarly priced, but since the Alexander Inn subsizes their parking and Club Quarters doesn't, we picked Alexander.

And we're so glad we did! The inside is beautiful -- the hotel staff is SO friendly. The room was very clean, and the art over the bed was actually the kind of thing I might have wanted to hang in my own house. The continental breakfast was so so so delicious (the bagels were out of this world) and I felt that the building was well secured and safe.

BUT we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, anyway -- it's located only about three blocks from the historic district, and about as far away from South Street, where there is some great shopping. We bought a Day Pass from SEPTA for $5.50 and bussed/trolley/subwayed all over the city. The neighborhood was very central and (I felt, as a Philadelphia native) very safe.

The next time I come to Philly, I'm DEFINITELY staying here again. They even made these little "business cards" for you with your name and the hotel information on them.

My only complaint (and it's small) is that when I booked the hotel through Expedia, it didn't specify that I was booking at the AAA rate -- which ended up not being a problem, because I do have a AAA membership, but if I didn't it would have ended up costing a lot more than Expedia advertised.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pazzypunk
Reviewed January 6, 2007

Really enjoyed this hotel - lovely boutique hotel in a great location in philadelphia. The staff could not have been more friendly and pleased to help. The room was not huge, but it was very well presented, very clean and perfectly adequate. The breakfast was a help yourself affair and was included in the price - great cinnamon buns!

6 of us stayed there on a recent trip (oct 06) and we all thought it was excellent. There is also a great Cuban restaurant around the corner too!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank marcandgary
Reviewed January 6, 2007

This sharply run boutique hotel is in a great location in Philadelphia - surrounded by great restaurants and bars and reasonable walking distance to major sights.

The rooms are a little compact, but make up for the lack of space with a sense of style. The staff were very helpful from the start, and recommended a great restaurant to eat at (we arrived at 10 pm).

We liked the free wi-fi, and the very good continental breakfast. There was also a nice little gym with fairly good appointments.

We didn't like the overactive heating system in our room, or the lack of anywhere to put our suitcases.

All in all a great place to stop for anyone wanting something a little more unique than the larger chains. Would recommend for all types of travellers.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AussiePoster
Reviewed December 31, 2006

The Alexander Inn was everything we'd hoped for -- a classy boutique hotel in the center of everything.

After parking our car in the hotel's recommended garage (where inn guests pay only half the regular rate), we walked everywhere --- Olde City, Penn's Landing, Independence Hall, Reading Terminal Market, Rittenhouse Square and South Street. It was glorious not to be bothered with driving, especially after a few pints at the pub.

Inside, the hotel evokes an earlier era, with its historic interior -- a fireplace welcomes guests while dark paneling, original art work, carpeting, and wallpaper complete the scene. The downstairs breakfast room is filled with original oil paintings and guests are able to eat at tables or on sofas. Breakfast is a wide array of continental selections -- from croissants to raisin toast, three kinds of cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt and lots of other goodies. Best of all it it's served until 10:30 am!

Our room was decorated in lovely burl maple Deco-styled furniture and had two upholstered chairs for comfy seating. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom had tile floors and wainscotting and there was a small tub with shower. We loved the orange spice soap and shampoo. Quite unusual. And, a hairdryer and iron were in the room, as well.

An elevator serves all 7 floors, but we were only on the second with a view overlooking the street. It was surprisingly quiet and night. We were only bothered a bit by the the sound of elevator cables, since our room was next to the lift, but we shut our bathroom door to eleviate the problem. We slept like logs.

Most of the other travelers were couples and business travelers, many of whom were repeat customers.

We'll be one of them, as we'll definitely be back again. We loved it.

• Stayed: December 2006