“One of my best trips”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I could not have asked for anything more!! The staff was the nicest, most helpful, and MOST pleasant and delightful staff I have ever had an opportunity to meet, especially the staff at the front desk. No request was to big or too small to be addressed. The location is wonderful!! Coffee shops, excellent restaurants of all kinds, shopping etc. all in a few blocks walk. Atmosphere was great. Continential breakfast was wonderful, and convienently available until noon. Rooms were clean, with wonderful bay windows overlooking the city streets. As they advertise, double paned windows keep all street traffic noises away. The people in town were very friendly....I would go back and stay there again in a NY moment!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank niteskyz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed August 13, 2006

This hotel is in a seedy part of the city. My wife is a smoker and was at the hotel's front door late in the evening and was accosted by a "client". There are police notices on the shop fronts nearby warning not to loiter! The carpets stink. The showers stink. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed August 13, 2006

My Boyfriend and I stayed at the Alexander Inn for 3 Nights at the end of July. We were visiting Philly as part of our summer holiday visiting NYC, Philly , then onto Fort Myers Beach in FLA. Both of us having stayed in an enormous amount of hotels over the years agreed it was the best hotel we have ever stayed in. This was mainly due to the fantastic staff that work there. We felt so welcome, and they were so helpful with everything we inquired with. Even assisting to help us arrange a ticket into the Barnes Foundation if mine didn't come through in time. (for those in the know, its hard apparently.. by the way its a must do for those into art). We stayed during the heatwave and it was a pleasure walking back into the hotel after a sightseeing day, being able to cool off and relax in comfort. We used the gym facilities and computers... excellent. Our room was gorgeous, having come from a hotel in NYC looking over a dingy dark bin area, the bay windows overlooking the street was a treat!
Very easy walking distance to everthing, even at night, the neighbourhood is safe and friendly. There is a Cafe place called Cosi just a few streets up, it became our local coffee/ late night cake eaterie.
We cant recommend this hotel enough, i wish more hotels would be this thoughtful in everything they do.
Thankyou Alexander Inn for making our stay in Philly so memorable!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank seekoorb
Reviewed July 18, 2006

I travel often, and stay at the big name hotels for comfort and consistency. (I'm a platinum Marriott member to give you an idea how many nights I am gone!) But let me tell you, the Alexander Inn is one hotel I will never pass up when staying in the Philadelphia area. It is conveniently located to shopping, great restaurants, antiques, night life, and public transportation.

But all the local conveniences set asaide, the Alexander Inn is on the top of my list NATIONWIDE for the service and staff. From the minute you walk in the door, the front desk staff are courteous and helpful. When I was in the hallway near my room, a houseleeping staff member genuinely asked me about my stay and if there was anything she could do to make it better.

At check out, I felt like I was saying goodbye to family. It was my third visit...but not my last. I give it the highest marks and recommend it to everyone when staying in Center City Philly!

Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank Marc_the_Traveler
Reviewed June 25, 2006

I was not surprised to read the review (May 2006) citing the problem with the reservation system and the unreasonable response from management as I too encountered similar problems. There was a problem with the reservation I made and thought that surely if I promptly notified the Alexander Inn of the problem they would be reasonable business people and reverse the charge for a booking of an erroneous date. Much to my dismay they refused to acknowledge the problem when I emailed them and disregarded written correspondence and would not reverse the charge. It is such a poor exhibition of business practice. I have reason to travel to Philadelphia with groups of people multiple times over the next 5 years but will NEVER do business with the Alexander Inn and will be very vocal to anyone else going to Philadelphia about my displeasure with this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2006
10  Thank TripsfromIrvine
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 22, 2006

What more could you ask for? The Alexander Inn lived up to its description on its webpage. My room was clean and well-appointed, the bathroom was in great conditon, the staff was incredibly helpful, and the little touches (such as business cards for my stay) were thoughtful. The breakfast buffet was simple but good--cold cereals, yogurt, fruit, and a toaster for bagels and waffles. The wifi was strong in my room.
I peeked into the computer center & gym--they are in the same room, and both were small but more than adequate for the average visitor.
The desk staff is on duty 24 hours, so I felt very safe coming in late at night.
I loved the area, which had great restaurants, coffee spots, and some fun shopping.
All in all, a great place to stay, and I will definitely be back on my next trip to Philly!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 21, 2006

In May I stayed at the Alexander Inn for the third time. I have made two more reservations for June and July.

The Alexander Inn is NOT a chain hotel. In fact, it is more like a 40 room bed and breakfast. Don't get me wrong, it has everything that you might want in a hotel: A/C, private bath, free wireless internet, free computer room, fitness center and breakfast. But it does not have the inexhaustible resources (or huge staff) that you might find at a corporate hotel. It is a darling place, nicely appointed with a very friendly staff.

On the subject of cleanliness: generally, I have found the Alex Inn to be as clean as any other hotel. The sheets are supposed to be off-white, for God's sake.... they're not dirty sheets. And I've never once in my 3 stays (total of 15 days) had a problem with smokers.

I have noticed cigarette burns in the carpet in one of the rooms I stayed in, but the room did not smell of smoke. I don't suppose the Inn can police their patrons if they break the rules. No smoking signs are posted EVERYWHERE and I've never experienced anything other than no smoke.

There is a sense in the Alexander Inn that it is a bit of a moms-and-pops operation--but this is part of its charm. Moms-and-pops doesn't mean that anything lacks in quality, it just means that it is sometimes clear that the owners are not dripping in money and so there are signs of "economical" rather than "opulent" solutions to hotel issues. But let's face it, you're paying $100/night to stay IN THE MIDDLE of everything. This is not the Ritz. More like a charming version of a Holiday Inn.

Finally. The Alexander Inn is a gay owned and operated business. Many of the staff members are gay and many of the patrons of the hotel are gay. There are just as many families and straight couples staying the inn, but there is no mistaking that you are in the middle of the gayborhood. I wonder if some of the negative comments of the hotel have to do with people being uncomfortable with gay people rather than there actually being something wrong with the hotel. To be sure, this is not the place to stay if you are homophobic. The Inn is a perfectly comfortable place for well-adjusted people (whether straight or gay) and it is very family friendly.

Stay at the Alexander Inn if you want a comfortable and affordable place to stay in a fantastic location. Stay at the Ritz if you want luxury. Stay at the Alex Inn whether you are gay or whether you are straight. Stay away from the Alex Inn if you have a phobia for gay people or gay culture.

My final assessment is that the Alex Inn is a lovely place. I've recommended it to family and friends. They've stayed there and loved it, too. Even my arch-conservative relatives have gotten along just fine with the gay staff. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business